Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Boulder Area

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26

    Boulder Area

    Hello from Georgia,

    I am going to be in the Boulder area in late September and early October. I anticipate having 4 days to ride. I will have a rental vehicle hopefully equiped with a bike rack. I am looking for good singletrack in the area. I would glady drive up to a hour one-way to get to some great riding. I am also looking for a good shop to rent a NICE bike.

    Thanks for the help!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bedell99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,073
    Betasso, Heil Ranch, Hall Ranch, and Walker.

    Erik

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    462
    Nederland

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26
    How about a good shop for a rental?

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabertooth37
    How about a good shop for a rental?

    Thanks!

    a possibility ...good shop for sure

    http://fullcyclebikes.com/articles/r...emos-pg240.htm

    Also bikesmith...been in biz a long time.

    http://boulderbikesmith.com/

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26
    Anybody else like to recommend a good shop for a quality rental bike???

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    865
    South St. Vrain trail - make sure you ride it downhill! Some good mountain views from the western SSV trailhead.

  8. #8
    EJP
    EJP is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabertooth37
    Anybody else like to recommend a good shop for a quality rental bike???
    You need something better than a Maverick or an Ibis? Listen to Lidarman. He has told you what you need to know.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

    I like 'em either blond and fruity or dark and chocolaty

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26

    Nederland

    I only have to be in Boulder on Oct. 2 so I am now thinking about staying in Nederland. Would that be a good move for riding???

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    865
    Nederland is just 25 minutes from Boulder, so in the context of a day of riding, driving up there is not that big a deal. There's more to do and see in Boulder if you're going to want to wander around downtown and get food and etc. However, being in Ned means you're right there at the Ned trails, and closer to the SSV/little raven/sourdough trails as well.

    The trails in Nederland are extensive but confusing - its one of those casual trail networks where you get dumped out on a road and then you have to hunt around for where it starts again, and there are multiple branches, some of which lead back to where you just were before, etc. If you're ok with that then you can do rides of over 30 miles and probably over 40 without too much repeating. There are some really cool sections back in there too. Hit up this board when it gets closer to october and set up a ride with some locals!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible
    Nederland is just 25 minutes from Boulder, so in the context of a day of riding, driving up there is not that big a deal. There's more to do and see in Boulder if you're going to want to wander around downtown and get food and etc. However, being in Ned means you're right there at the Ned trails, and closer to the SSV/little raven/sourdough trails as well.

    The trails in Nederland are extensive but confusing - its one of those casual trail networks where you get dumped out on a road and then you have to hunt around for where it starts again, and there are multiple branches, some of which lead back to where you just were before, etc. If you're ok with that then you can do rides of over 30 miles and probably over 40 without too much repeating. There are some really cool sections back in there too. Hit up this board when it gets closer to october and set up a ride with some locals!

    Good advice, thanks.

  12. #12
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,556
    not sure if altitude will be an issue but ned is 2000' higher than boulder.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    not sure if altitude will be an issue but ned is 2000' higher than boulder.
    I was in Salida a few years ago and then Leadville. It took me about a day to adjust to the altitude. I can suffer with the best of them! What is the elevation in Nederland?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    118
    University Bikes doesn't really rent any bikes you'd want anymore...

    If you're like me, and you are with satan, then the Trek Store should do just fine. They have some decent prices on full squishy rentals.

    trekstorecolorado.com

    If you can't stand Trek, then I know of nothing beyond what's already been said above.

    It's a bit farther, but you can hit White Ranch as well. Up by Nederlund there's the West Magnolia trails and Sourdough.

    If you're looking for something particularly challenging there's Lion Gulch up in Larimer county, but pack some powerful repellant. The things listed at the beginning of the thread are closest by far, though, to town.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    259
    Ned's about 8,400 ft. Bikes aren't allowed in the Indian Peaks Wilderness so most mtbing trails are to the east of the NFS and wilderness boundary. Thus they top out near 10,000 ft-excepting the Rollins Pass area. Weather is hit or miss-pack some warm kit.

    This pic is on the Sourdough trail to the north of Ned is on Sept 12 of last year.



    There are a couple of good maps of the area that you could pick up at a LBS when you get here. I like and own the Lat. 40 (1:37,500) map. Or, most trails have decent maps at the TH. If you've got a digital camera and aren't going to stray too far, snap a pic before you start riding and have it to refer to if you need it.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by EmTee
    University Bikes doesn't really rent any bikes you'd want anymore...

    If you're like me, and you are with satan, then the Trek Store should do just fine. They have some decent prices on full squishy rentals.

    trekstorecolorado.com

    If you can't stand Trek, then I know of nothing beyond what's already been said above.

    It's a bit farther, but you can hit White Ranch as well. Up by Nederlund there's the West Magnolia trails and Sourdough.

    If you're looking for something particularly challenging there's Lion Gulch up in Larimer county, but pack some powerful repellant. The things listed at the beginning of the thread are closest by far, though, to town.
    Thanks for the information. I am a Trek guy, I own a Madone with Sram Red and a Fuel with Sram XX. I am waiting on a 2011 Trek Superfly 100 to replace the fuel. I will check the Trek store out.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    26
    ajdonner, Thanks for the picture and info. I figured late September would be a crap shoot but I'll have to take my chances. I appreciate the advice on the warm kit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •