Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No Clue Crew

Boulder: 2014-06-15

Hey guys!

I'll be heading to Boulder the weekend of June 15 and I'm coming in early to do some riding. Flying in late Thursday night, the 12th and looking to ride Friday for sure and probably Saturday.

I'm outta AZ so my riding is likely a little different but I like the chunk. Ideally, I'll find a park with lift access. Did that up at Stevens Pass in Washington and had a great time.

I was hoping for a "sticky" with suggestions and stuff but didn't see anything. I'll start digging more now but if anyone has suggestions and wants to show me around I'm all for it.

If you wanna see what I ride check out this...

Hella Hairball 2012-04-07 from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

I'm not the strongest climber but I've got a little in the skill dept. Just enough to make me brave enough to break myself. Love technical climbs and descents.

No Clue Crew
    I should also add that I've got a room Sat night for the Ironman race I'm working but I'm looking for a place to stay Thu & Fri nights.

No Clue Crew
    Anyone have any idea when Trestle will open this year? Last year was June 15. Hope it's earlier this year 'cause that'd be awesome!

Loser
    Mar 2008
    In order to summon the CO front range advice genie your thread title needs to say the following:
    What's the best {insert noun here} for the front range?

No Clue Crew
    Also, need a bike to rent... That would be the appeal of a park. But, if I gotta rent elsewhere a 6" AM bike would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Park info

Here is the info thread about the local parks. All but Granby Ranch are on Forrest Service property so the open/close dates are set in stone, they will open even with snow in the ground. Although some trails may be closed. Granby, being on private property, can open when they want, weather permitting. Usually mid-May.

Boulder is 2.5 hr drive from Trestle or Keystone, 4+ to Angle Fire. There are local trails in abundance around Boulder and Golden, and plenty of places to rent a good bike between them and Denver. But if you do head to a park, rent there as they have "all inclusive" deals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm not sure what TheRage43 is driving (or how he's driving), but Keystone is closer to 1:30-1:40 from Boulder and Winter Park-Trestle is definitely under 2 hrs.

No Clue Crew
    Didn't even think of Angel Fire but I think 4 hours is more than I wanna drive on this trip. As I was googling I came up with Crested Butte and I've got buddies that come up for a week and ride there so I know it's as solid as it comes. But, I think I'm good with a ~2 hour commute and even thinking of renting a tent spot at the KOA in Central City which would make the drive to Trestler/Gransby around an hour. And it'd be cheap.

And, I should say, my destination is Boulder but I'm certainly not limited to the Boulder area as is obvious from some of my ideas.

I found this thread about Dakota Ridge and that would be an IDEAL pedal ride. Looks right up my alley.

Looks from that list everything opens the weekend I'm there but I'll need a Friday lift. Are those "set in stone dates" seriously set in stone? What if June 14/15 falls on a Wed? Seems like the 15th is Sunday so they should open Saturday or maybe Friday. But, it is the government so common sense is nowhere to be found.

So, it looks like if I'm bike parkin' it Gransby is my only choice.

Now older but less slow!

Boulder: 2014-06-15

If the OP wants chunk then someone should take him up Sourdough, Little Raven and drop down South Saint Vrain. That should be snow free by then.

It's certainly not a lift ride though and can be 4-5,000 ft of climbing depending on route.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    If the OP wants chunk then someone should take him up Sourdough, Little Raven and drop down South Saint Vrain. That should be snow free by then.

It's certainly not a lift ride though and can be 4-5,000 ft of climbing depending on route.
    Yeah, not gonna be up for 4k feet of climbing for a while. 2k would be TOUGH, 4k...

No Clue Crew
    What do you guys think of Heil Ranch?

I've had tentative plans to ride with a buddy up in Boulder but wasn't sure if he'd actually have the time since he's working the Ironman race as well. He's got the time and he suggested there. The review here on MTBR seems to be promising.

Was thinking maybe I'd ride with him there on Fri and then try to squeeze in Dakota Ridge on Sat?

Mike

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Mt. Lion at Golden Gate

Longhorn at White Ranch

Enchanted Forest/Apex

Dakota Ridge

Morrison Slide at Matthew Winters

Deer Creek

And the SSV suggestion is a good one... although I personally doubt it'll be good-to-go by June 15th this year.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    [video=vimeo;40011941]Hella Hairball 2012-04-07
    Good film! Having finally watched this I would say that if you don't mind an 90 minute drive south then riding Templeton at Palmer Park could be up your alley. Here's one I did...

Now older but less slow!
    What do you guys think of Heil Ranch?
    Mike
    Heil is okay but it is not the chunk you are looking for. You can check out some vids of it on my YouTube channel if you like.

Now older but less slow!
    Another trail you may like, though it's north of Boulder is Ginny at Bobcat Ridge. That looks like the chunk in your video and is a killer 18 minute, 1300ft chunky downhill from top to bottom. This one is up near Fort Collins.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Mt. Lion at Golden Gate

Longhorn at White Ranch

Enchanted Forest/Apex

Dakota Ridge

Morrison Slide at Matthew Winters

Deer Creek
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by big0mike;
    Yeah, not gonna be up for 4k feet of climbing for a while. 2k would be TOUGH, 4k...
    Pretty much any ride around the front range will be near or at 2k of climbing. A 50 minute after-work loop at N Table is 1k.

I got a lighter bike this year.

No Clue Crew
    Good film! Having finally watched this I would say that if you don't mind an 90 minute drive south then riding Templeton at Palmer Park could be up your alley. Here's one I did...
    I wouldn't be against the drive. That looks like a good time.

Another trail you may like, though it's north of Boulder is Ginny at Bobcat Ridge. That looks like the chunk in your video and is a killer 18 minute, 1300ft chunky downhill from top to bottom. This one is up near Fort Collins.
    That looks like a good ride as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Pretty much any ride around the front range will be near or at 2k of climbing. A 50 minute after-work loop at N Table is 1k.
    I thought that might be the case. I think I'll do alright at around 2k. Our typical climbs here are in the 1000' - 1200' range but the trails are short (3 to 4 miles) and extremely technical climbs. I think our local parks are atypical. I rode Caribou Ridge in CDA, Idaho, and was really worried because it was reportedly 2000'+ in climbing and I've never done anything like that. But it was actually quite easy because the trail was not as technical and substantially longer.

So, I think I'm pretty much committed to Heil Ranch on Friday morning with my buddy. It's sounding like I'm gonna need another ride to feel satisfied...

I'm staying in Longmont. Any bike stores near there that I can rent a decent, slack 5" or 6" bike, maybe even a 27.5? I did some googling and got a few hits but the results were mostly in Denver, not so much the outskirts.

Depending on the Heil ride and the bike rental I may just go for a ride later Friday or work on a Sat morn ride. I'll have to check with my coworker to see if I need to cover any prerace Ironman promo stuff Sat.

No Clue Crew
    HA! The brother-in-law and I were just talking about our ride in CO a few years back. We were visiting relatives and talked everyone into hiking while we went for a ride. Neither one of us could remember where it was but I knew I kept the track! Right across the street from Dakota Ridge:

That was a fun ride. How does that compare to Dakota Ridge itself?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    HA! The brother-in-law and I were just talking about our ride in CO a few years back. We were visiting relatives and talked everyone into hiking while we went for a ride. Neither one of us could remember where it was but I knew I kept the track! Right across the street from Dakota Ridge:

That was a fun ride. How does that compare to Dakota Ridge itself?
    That's Morrison Slide (the part up and over the plateau) - Dakota Ridge is quite a bit moar chunk.

Paste eater
    Park where you did. Ride south on Dakota > RedRocks > Morrison Slide > red rocks back to car.

Golden Bike Shop has high end Demos.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Park where you did. Ride south on Dakota > RedRocks > Morrison Slide > red rocks back to car.
    There is a better lot to park at - just down the road near the Red Rocks trailhead. That way you get to have the nice Dakota Ridge South descent right to the car.

No Clue Crew
    That's Morrison Slide (the part up and over the plateau) - Dakota Ridge is quite a bit moar chunk.
    Morrison Slide is the squigly part where we took the switchbacks up and then back down at the south end. Then we skirted the base back north on the way back. Right?

There is a better lot to park at - just down the road near the Red Rocks trailhead. That way you get to have the nice Dakota Ridge South descent right to the car.
    I'm confused now. Dakota is across the street on the ridgeline. Google Maps has it marked Dinosaur Ridge. Right? I thought it was an out and back. How do they connect across the street? Just ride across it to another trail? I saw a lot off E Alameda Parkway. Is that the other lot you are talking about?

I think I get the route you are talking but I'm gonna have to stare at Google Maps for a while...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Morrison Slide is the squigly part where we took the switchbacks up and then back down at the south end. Then we skirted the base back north on the way back. Right?
    Yep.
    I'm confused now. Dakota is across the street on the ridgeline. Google Maps has it marked Dinosaur Ridge. Right? I thought it was an out and back. How do they connect across the street? Just ride across it to another trail? I saw a lot off E Alameda Parkway. Is that the other lot you are talking about?

I think I get the route you are talking but I'm gonna have to stare at Google Maps for a while...
    It's a nice loop. Start here: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.6...m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

Ride Red Rocks up to Morrison Slide, hit Village Ride out near the top of Matthews Winters. Cross the road and climb Dakota Ridge, ride the spine, cross the road-cut, short climb, then down Dakota Ridge to your car.

Paste eater
    Parking there gets most of the climbing out of the way 1st. Worth noting that bridge is out right now and you can't get to that parking lot. rather bothersome to be honest. Would think it would be fixed by June with the concert season upon us.

And ya, Dino Ridge = Dakota.

If you'd like, drop me a line when you're in town. I ride there frequently and if it works out, I'd be happy to show you around.

Team Tortuga
    bigOmike, as a former AZ rider I think you will enjoy Dakota Ridge loop a lot. It has similiar feel to SOMO. It would be like riding Desert Classic around and then climbing up to National for a little bit of chunk although nowhere near the total miles to loop it. If the legs are still fresh you can add on some of the connector trails for additional miles. Heil Ranch and Hall Ranch are both a lot of fun and will be close to where you are staying. Walker Ranch is a hellafun downhill followed by a brutal climb followed by a hellafun dh followed by another climb and then mostly descending out. I like that loop a lot, good work/reward in my opinion. Lastly, Trestle!!! Tons of fun, trails are fast, flowy, and have a little of everything. Definitely, definitely, definitely worth your time to check it out. I can't speak for Breck and Keystone yet but they will be on my radar to explore this summer as I have heard good things about them too! Best advice I have for you is get some rides in prior to coming. Prescott, the Mogollon Rim, or in Flagstaff will be good so the elevation doesn't kick you in the lungs so hard.
    I ride uphill for the view.....that and the return back down!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast