ride

Boulder County Advocacy Alert - update on LHC

I just got a letter in the mail from the USFS regarding the management plan initiative for Left Hand Canyon. The Forest Service really wants to address the road/trail situation in that area. They've come up with a handful of alternatives and are looking for input.

Here's a breakdown of the entire situation, including the proposed alternatives:
    http://www.redstonecyclery.com/AdvocacyLefthandOHV.htm

Comments must be made by March 11, 2005. Mail them to:

Boulder Ranger District
    Lefthand Planning
    2140 Yarmouth Ave
    Boulder, CO 80301

Public meetings will be held at the above address on Saturday, Feb 12 10am to Noon and Tuesday, February 15 5:30pm to 7:30pm. Come to the meetings and speak up. The only folks that will be there are interested parties. At this point, that means it's pretty much environmental extremists and Jeepers. If mountain bikers don't show up, we won't get a d a m n thing. This is a great place to ride if you like steep and technical terrain. It can be even better!

A couple of the alternatives SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDE MOUNTAIN BIKES. We need your help.

Also in the letter, "If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Cat Luna, Recreation Planner, at 303.541.2508..."
    Last edited by ignazjr; 01-30-2005 at 11:51 PM.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

icegeek is hot
    Thanks for posting this. My letter has been sent, and I'll be calling to voice my concerns and strong support to keep mtb access.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I have never ridden at the area in question, but just this weekend I was reading your blog and post in the Turner forum about this area and it certainly peaked my interest. I will write a letter and mark it on my calendar and do my best to make one of the meetings.

Thanks for bringing this topic up, I hadn't been informed of it yet.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I have never ridden at the area in question, but just this weekend I was reading your blog and post in the Turner forum about this area and it certainly peaked my interest. I will write a letter and mark it on my calendar and do my best to make one of the meetings.

Thanks for bringing this topic up, I hadn't been informed of it yet.
    IMHO, any trail access loss is a huge concern for bikers. You don't have to look far to see where these kinds of decisions can potentially lead; and losing any more trail access in Boulder concerns me deeply. Not just as a Denverite who rides there and loves it; but as a one who deals with biking traffic spillover to Jeffco from the lack of open trails in Boulder.

IMHO, more trails and more trail access means less congestion. And that's a good thing.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    IMHO, any trail access loss is a huge concern for bikers.
    I couldn't agree more.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I couldn't agree more.
    Another thought, Jefferson County Open Space is always managing the overcrowding issue. Is there any reason that JCOS wouldn't see the wisdom in itself working to open more trails in Boulder to mountain biking?

contains quinine
    Another thought, Jefferson County Open Space is always managing the overcrowding issue. Is there any reason that JCOS wouldn't see the wisdom in itself working to open more trails in Boulder to mountain biking?
    Why not? Boulder bought open space land in Jeffco, right?
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    Why not? Boulder bought open space land in Jeffco, right?
    I'm not sure, and not sure how that factors in to my suggestion.

Please understand, I'm not some "locals only" dumb ass; my only dog in this fight is that all trail closures are bad. Sure, I might be a tad biased and passionate about this subject, but any trail closure potentially leads to more trail closures. Not only by the precedence the closure sets, but from the increased traffic the closure puts on all other open trails in the area -- that puts more trails at increased risk for closure!

I'd support never closing a trail to bikes. Or at the very least, not closing one in an area until another trail of equal or increased length is opened or built in the same area and allows mtb access. And I'm very much in support of Boulder (re-)opening many, many, many more of its trails to bikes.

contains quinine
    I just checked Boulder's open space website, and the maps there show that Boulder has lands in Jefferson County. So, if Boulder feels it okay to purchase and maintain lands in Jefferson County, what would stop Jefferson County from actively trying to open trails in BC?

Back to the LHC OHV area: The precedent of trails being closed by the Forest Service is bad bad bad.

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    I just checked Boulder's open space website, and the maps there show that Boulder has lands in Jefferson County. So, if Boulder feels it okay to purchase and maintain lands in Jefferson County, what would stop Jefferson County from actively trying to open trails in BC?

Back to the LHC OHV area: The precedent of trails being closed by the Forest Service is bad bad bad.
    but... If I remember correctly (it has been a while), Boulder's purchase of lands in JeffCo were to help stop potential development in the Rocky Flats vicinity. I don't think that the area was open space before Boulder purchased it.

I rode some of the LHC area awhile back (the area of one of my most spectacular crashes), and I had a great time, but I remember being concerned about the number of spent shells laying around

scott

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    but... If I remember correctly (it has been a while), Boulder's purchase of lands in JeffCo were to help stop potential development in the Rocky Flats vicinity. I don't think that the area was open space before Boulder purchased it.
    My point was that if Boulder City/County deems it proper to involve itself in Jeffco landuse, Jeffco would seem to have the precedent to involve itself in Boulder's land use. Boulder city/county's trail system is pretty lacking when compared with Jeffco and Larimer Counties.

People seem freaked out by the shooters, but EVERY time I've been there (especially since they've been relegated to the canyons along the roads) they've been very responsible about others in the area, not firing after I make my presence known, making me feel quite safe about the situation. It's their forest too, and they have the right to enjoy it. That said, they could certainly do a better job of cleaning up their mess.

I really enjoy the Lefthand area. Sure, it's a lot of Jeep roads, but there's crazy stuff to ride and play on up there. This is the best 2 track you'll find within 20 minutes of Boulder, and it's got fun singletrack to ride too. My opinion is that Carnage Canyon offers one of the best wet and wide technical downhills that's easily accesible. I really don't know why more people don't ride there. And, as I ususally forget, a lot of it is south facing and dries earlier than a lot of the other trails around.

If anyone out there is interested in checking the place out, I'd be glad to head out that direction with them. Especially if it would help some of you folks decide that the place is worth saving.
    I
    Attached Images Attached Images

ride
    Great pics, Debaser. That first one is an antique!

Anyway, it's good to see folks get behind this. Honestly, there is some good steep singletrack there and some really fun jeep roads. It wouldn't be all bad if USFS just maintained the status quo. I really see this as a great opportunity to lobby for more singletrack though. Heck, I'll share it with motos, it's more or less their area, and there's not too many of those around anymore.

Points I'll be making in my letter to the USFS -
    1)more multi use sustainable singletrack
    2)singletrack access to Fairview Peak
    3)a non motorized, multi use singletrack connection to Heil Ranch

Thanks everyone for getting involved!
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO