mtbr member

Bootleg Canyon (1/22/05)

I've had a trip planned to meet up with my Dad in Vegas to rent some Harleys for a few days. Then I thought I might as well check out some trails around there since the weather was going to be awesome, so my Dad and I checked out Bootleg Canyon in Boulder City, NV, which is about 25 minutes from the Vegas strip.

As I was packing for the weekend, I started put pack my knee-shin pads, but then decided against it because I was planning on renting a bike which would be a XC bike and riding with my Dad who is definitely a novice, so I figured I wouldn't even want to use them.

When I got to Boulder City, we went to the LBS and found that they actually rent a nice freeride bike (Kona Stinky Dee Lux) as well as XCs, so I got a Stinky for me and a XC for my dad. We rode to the shuttle pick up area to take a shuttle to the top.

Pictures below:
    1 - Me at the entry sign to Bootleg Canyon. Notice the BC on hill? I don't know if that's for Bootleg Canyon or Boulder City (probably the latter, tho).
    2 - Me riding to the shuttle to take to the top (notice the fully armored riders).
    3 - The view of Boulder City, NV from the top (you can actually see the Vegas strip from here, but didn't get a pic of it).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

Bootleg Cont'd

As soon as we rode for about 200 ft, I got pinch-flats in both tires on my Stinky. Come to find out that there are thin-walled 2.1 XC tubes in the 2.4 tires. Nice. Starting to get a little frustrated here, so we didn't get many shots of the trails.

The trails up here are incredible. I was only able to take a blue down because I wasn't about to take my dad on any of the black trails. I was able to get a look at some of the blacks and they look like a total blast, but the blues were no slouch either. Fast singletrack with the occasional relatively simple yet technical obstacle.

I am used to riding a Spec BigHit with a Marz Super T up front, so the Kona wasn't near as stiff as I am used to, but I enjoyed the ride.

We made it to the bottom with my dad riding the road for the second half of the trail and I took the most difficult blue I could find. Once we got down, I thought I would see how high I could hop the Kona since it's lighter than my BigHit. It felt pretty good until my left foot slipped off the pedal and the pegs from the platform ripped into my shin. As soon as I looked down, I knew I needed to get some stitches and was super pissed that I left my armor at home.

We got to the LBS, and they guys there wanted to get a picture of it to put up on their wall. Then we went to the hospital where I recieved 35 or so stiches in my leg. Great fun. Now I can't ride for another week or so. Oh well, at least it didn't hurt to bad or cause more damage.

Anyway, I just reserved a room in Vegas for March 23-27 for riding Bootleg Canyon during the day (with body armor), and partying at night. I found a good deal on rooms, we should get a group to go down together!

Pictures below:
    1 - Since the flat tires pissed me off, we didn't really get shots of the trail except for this one.
    2 - The guy at the LBS taking a shot.
    3 - Closeup of the carnage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Professional Lurker
    Looks good, thanks for the post and words!!

Sorry to hear about your leg, doesn't stuff like that always happen without armour?

A couple questions:

Does the shuttle truck run everyday? Does it cost money?

Thanks again!
    I have no idea what I'm talking about...But yeah, that sounds about right.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah - I forgot to mention about the shuttle. We paid $5 each for one run only. I think it's $30 for a full day and you have to sign a waiver. It runs on the weekends all the time and only weekdays where there are enough people. I know that sounds stupid, but that's what the guy told me at the LBS (All Mountain Cycles, Boulder City, NV).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper80202
    Oh yeah - I forgot to mention about the shuttle. We paid $5 each for one run only. I think it's $30 for a full day and you have to sign a waiver. It runs on the weekends all the time and only weekdays where there are enough people. I know that sounds stupid, but that's what the guy told me at the LBS (All Mountain Cycles, Boulder City, NV).

Thats how it is whenever I go. I was there on a thursday last time and there ended up being 4 of us waiting around, and they said they would shuttle us for a small fee. I though that they shuttled for free on weekends? Maybe not, oh well. Its only a couple bucks anyway. Worth it for my lazy ass.