mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Bobcat Ridge Open

The trails at Bobcat are now open. Conditions aren't great but they are not bad enough to justify keeping it closed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fcna
    The trails at Bobcat are now open. Conditions aren't great but they are not bad enough to justify keeping it closed.
    More importantly, how is Ginny looking

I have stayed away, knowing the trails must me hammered, but if Ginny is good to go, at least by this weekend, I will once again be a happy camper.

Kid In The Helmet
    +1 on Ginny this weekend! hopefully it is nice and dry.
    Ride Hard & Don't Get Dead!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock1079
    +1 on Ginny this weekend! hopefully it is nice and dry.
    My wife just went out to hike it, will report back this afternoon. She is going to make it (or try) to the log bridge & just past, to the shaded side hill which is usually the last to dry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    There will be a traffic jam from Denver heading up there this weekend

pain intolerant
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    My wife just went out to hike it, will report back this afternoon. She is going to make it (or try) to the log bridge & just past, to the shaded side hill which is usually the last to dry.
    I'm on the edge of my seat and my breath is held. Thanks for posting.

Kid In The Helmet
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork
    There will be a traffic jam from Denver heading up there this weekend
    I'm sure that's not necessary...not sure if anyone told you, but Bobcat Ridge is very boring...no need for you guys to drive all the way up here

haha - looking forward to hitting some actual trail very soon, hope to meet some of you this weekend. I quietly await word on the conditions

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin
    I'm on the edge of my seat and my breath is held. Thanks for posting.
    Here's the scoop:

Bottom trail to get to Ginny entrance is about 50% ice, plus a bit of mud, but dry in spots. Ginny entrance was clear, but once you got into the trail there were straightaway sections of snow, though only a couple inches deep at most. Overall she said Ginny was about 70% clear, 10& mud, the rest some snow & ice, but still rideable for the most part. Now the disclaimer: The conditions were just a hair above freezing, so what looked great today may not be so great if it warms up, meaning more mud, but who knows. I am going to wait til the weekend to try, most likely go before 10am.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bobcat Ridge Open-030.jpg  

Bobcat Ridge Open-039.jpg  

Bobcat Ridge Open-022.jpg  

Bobcat Ridge Open-036.jpg  

Bobcat Ridge Open-038.jpg  

holding back the darkness
    Hmm.... Might deploy the new whip for her maiden dirt voyage on friday provided conditions are appropriate.

Anyone else riding Friday?

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Looks MUCH drier than Hewlett's or Greyrock last weekend. Both were 90% ice or heavy snowpack.

The forecast doesn't look like there will be much more melting and another storm possibly for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    Hmm.... Might deploy the new whip for her maiden dirt voyage on friday provided conditions are appropriate.

Anyone else riding Friday?
    I'd be up for a ride on Friday. What time were you thinking?

mtbr member
    So that last pic looks rideable? No other fresh tire tracks in the other pics, right? Just wonderin'?
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    So that last pic looks rideable? No other fresh tire tracks in the other pics, right? Just wonderin'?

I'd ride that, and be out by 10am though for sure. I might ride out there tomorrow morning to check out, heck if it ends up soupy I got a solid 24 or so miles on the road at least...
    Last edited by 2melow; 01-20-2010 at 08:55 PM.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Kid In The Helmet
    looks good for morning riding...plus this weekend isn't supposed to get too warm so we may have a larger window. those of you that are going on Friday morning, please report back if you can. I want to ride that so bad this weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by zoro
    I'd be up for a ride on Friday. What time were you thinking?
    My day early on booked up pretty quick. Hoping to get out there about 11:30-12ish.

mtbr member
    My day early on booked up pretty quick. Hoping to get out there about 11:30-12ish.

I could make it for 12 12:30

Quote Originally Posted by zoro
    I could make it for 12 12:30
    1215? Sounds reasonable to me. Gonna try and get WKD-RDR involved as well.

mtbr member
    Ok for 12:15 then!

mtbr member
    Man those pics make me want to head for bed and get my bum out in the morning before I have to get the kiddos off to school!
    Ok, where did I put my winter gear?????
    Bikes=Sanity

slow
    Gotta work today, or I'd join you. Let's see some photos and a ride report.

Kid In The Helmet
    anybody that wants to join - we have a small group meeting at the parking lot at 8:30 on Sunday morning...get your leg burn on before devouring chicken wings and watching football

Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Gotta work today, or I'd join you. Let's see some photos and a ride report.
    Work always interferes. We should shoot for something next week...

slow
    Work always interferes. We should shoot for something next week...
    Works for me. So far, my week looks flexible next week. PM, TXT, or call.

P.S. I'm watching the clouds over Loveland pull back toward the east right now. Looks like it will be a good day for a ride at either DBb or Bobcat, as long as it does not get soft.

Waiting for our 3rd party.... Prolly be closer to 1230.

pain intolerant
    I just went as far as ginny sign and encountered two conditions: ice and mud

Going to try htmp service road now.

mtbr member
    This winter is taking a toll on our trails. While Picture Rock and Wild Turkey remain closed, open trails on Heil and Hall Ranches are being seriously impacted by users widening and damaging the trail trying to avoid the mud.

This freeze/thaw cycle that our frontcountry lands have been enduring creates a perfect storm of damage that could take years to recover from...

Please, if you have to use the trails, ride THROUGH the mud, not around it. Better yet, BMA suggests that you go discover the network of hard surface trails throughout the County and Denver Metro area and give our singletrack a break.

To our knowledge, the only good riding to be had this weekend in Colorado is at Lake Pueblo State Park. Conditions are dry and wonderful there.

Wild Turkey and Picture Rock Trails will re-open when staff make the on-site determination that conditions have improved, and are stable.

Please feel free to contact Michael Bauer at 303-818-0615 with any questions.

Again, thanks so much for your help in spreading the word.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

pain intolerant
    HTMP service road was mostly dry and "tacky" snow pack - overal good riding surface.
    Soderburg down to Springcreek also snow pack with a few short icy sections.
    Springcreek up to Herrington 50-50 snowpack and dry-goodness.
    Herrington on the way up to Tower had 12 inch deep snow so I turned around about 1/2 way up.

Would be worth trying Tower from Soderburg then down Springcreek/Stout/Tower - maybe this weekend. Anyone know if they drive trucks up Tower (like they do on the service road from the upper lot?)

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin
    HTMP service road was mostly dry and "tacky" snow pack - overal good riding surface.
    Soderburg down to Springcreek also snow pack with a few short icy sections.
    Springcreek up to Herrington 50-50 snowpack and dry-goodness.
    Herrington on the way up to Tower had 12 inch deep snow so I turned around about 1/2 way up.

Would be worth trying Tower from Soderburg then down Springcreek/Stout/Tower - maybe this weekend. Anyone know if they drive trucks up Tower (like they do on the service road from the upper lot?)
    There are people that drive up that road. I don't know who all have keys, but there are volunteer forestry guys, park guys, and for some reason 4x4 club guys.

Why do you ask?

pain intolerant
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    There are people that drive up that road. I don't know who all have keys, but there are volunteer forestry guys, park guys, and for some reason 4x4 club guys.

Why do you ask?
    There aren't likely many hikers to pack down Tower like there are on the upper lot service road, but if vehicles are driving it then it should be a pretty ridable surface (at least in the tire tracks). This of course is just me speculating .

I could ask a guy at work here if he intends on packing it down with his truck (or has already), but I want to leave work sometime within the next 3 or 4 hours.

"... And then back in the 70's, the forestry (blah blah blah)"
    Last edited by mtn hack; 01-22-2010 at 02:34 PM.

pain intolerant
    "... And then back in the 70's, the forestry (blah blah blah)"
    That's funny! I'll head up there this weekend for a first hand account.

Oh, So Interesting!
    So did anyone ride Ginny?

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    So did anyone ride Ginny?
    Ummm... Maybe?

Yep. Went to check it out. Muddy along the bottom loop to the Ginny sign where it wasn't an ice rink. From there the southern exposures were basically dry, the northern ones still snow-covered, and a few of the in-betweens were muddy. The typical groovy flow of Ginny is not present. The wet bits are wet because normally they are the sections composed of a higher concentration of plain dirt, without the decomp'd granite component to allow for better drainage. The plain dirt bits that when dry provide the best traction and speedy, rail-able sections we all love about Ginny. So what I'm saying is that it isn't even the same trail.

So... here's my verdict. I wouldn't go back there for several days. Save it for next week. I think the weekend warriors planning their Ginny Assault would be severely disappointed by conditions here. Nothing to write home about. Nothing any better than conditions at say, White Ranch. Not worth making the trek up from the Metropolis when Pueblo is apparently the new Mecca just another hour in the opposite direction.

A little sun... a little desiccant wind... and Ginny will be right as rain. For now, don't bother.

mtbr member
    So I'm planning on getting out in the morning, was thinking of going to Bobcat, is DBB or Lory better?
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSFA
    So I'm planning on getting out in the morning, was thinking of going to Bobcat, is DBB or Lory better?
    Bobcat / Ginny was fine / fun today. Just go early enough before it get's muddy. Don't get discouraged by the snow & such on the beginning of Ginny, it just gets better & better the higher you go. Good times today for sure! And watch the ice rink trail getting to Ginny, it is frickin crazy!

mtbr member
    Cool. I have had my Haro together since like the second week of Nov. and have yet to actually ride it on a trail, either no time or the weather/trails are bad. I am going fricken' crazy wanting to ride this thing!

So if anyone is out in the morning and you pass a fat guy walking up the hill say hi
    Bikes=Sanity

not actually bad :)
    Well, I can see no one else is going to say it as I had hoped, so I wouldn't have to....
    Inkpad, I like the 2nd pic the best.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Well, I can see no one else is going to say it as I had hoped, so I wouldn't have to....
    Inkpad, I like the 2nd pic the best.

Me too Andy

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    Me too Andy
    Those gloves you recommended here:
    Winter Riding Gloves
    are GREAT!
    They're actually too hot for riding while climbing - even on cold days!
    Even skied in them recently in a fairly cold/windy day at Loveland and they were perfect.
    Buy ya a beer sometime!
    Old Codger

Kid In The Helmet
    wow, 1 says doom and gloom and the other says that it is worth the trip

I guess I will have to find out for myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Updated with today's conditions? Anyone?

A few of us planned a 930am launch, but I think we left the parking lot after 9:45. The bottom was as advertised, ice rink with 3 out of 4 of usw going down at some point. meh no biggie.

The rest of Ginni was as inkpad and wife described, probably 70% clear with the other 30% being either ice spots or a couple of inches of snow that was easily managed. However, by 11:30 things were starting to get soupy. I would NOT start then or later, or if temps are much over 40 earlier on.

Overall, great to be back on dirt... finally.

now just need to get into shape

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    A few of us planned a 930am launch, but I think we left the parking lot after 9:45. The bottom was as advertised, ice rink with 3 out of 4 of usw going down at some point. meh no biggie.

The rest of Ginni was as inkpad and wife described, probably 70% clear with the other 30% being either ice spots or a couple of inches of snow that was easily managed. However, by 11:30 things were starting to get soupy. I would NOT start then or later, or if temps are much over 40 earlier on.

Cheers, mate - riding tomorrow AM starting at 8:00 if anybody's down.

mtbr member

So you all must have been who passed me and my buddy. He snapped his chain where you went by and we followed up aways until I had to cut back to get home on time.
    Oh yeah, I wiped out on the lower ice "slide" on the way then both of us went skating coming down!
    Can't wait to ride that in summer and totally agree about it being great to be back on dirt...and I really need to get in shape!
    Bikes=Sanity

Kid In The Helmet
    I ate it on the ice on the way up and on the way down...got me some nice road rash from the 2nd time

All in all it was a great ride...if it wasn't for the wind I could've spent all day up there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Those gloves you recommended here:
    Winter Riding Gloves
    are GREAT!
    They're actually too hot for riding while climbing - even on cold days!
    Even skied in them recently in a fairly cold/windy day at Loveland and they were perfect.
    Buy ya a beer sometime!
    Glad to be of service ; )

I loves me an ice cold IPA

Sux, home sick today, everybody else riding Ginny ; (

Quote Originally Posted by DSFA
    So you all must have been who passed me and my buddy. He snapped his chain where you went by and we followed up aways until I had to cut back to get home on time.
    Oh yeah, I wiped out on the lower ice "slide" on the way then both of us went skating coming down!
    Can't wait to ride that in summer and totally agree about it being great to be back on dirt...and I really need to get in shape!
    Sorry I didn't realize you guys were having a mechanical, we probably should have offered help. Of coarse, I was so far into the red I didn't see much.

mtbr member
    Sorry I didn't realize you guys were having a mechanical, we probably should have offered help. Of coarse, I was so far into the red I didn't see much.
    It's all good, we were just getting ready to go. Just saw you guys coming and figured we'd stay out of the way
    Bikes=Sanity

Oh, So Interesting!
    Ginny was great today, but windy. It was mostly frozen but there was some slop at the bottom. Not too bad though. The icy sections before you get to Ginny are interesting. I'd say it's good to go but if it gets warm it's going to get pretty muddy in spots. The top 3/4 is mostly dry. In a lot of places the dirt was frozen and gripped like mad, plus the bike rolled super fast over it. Lots of switchbacks with icy apexes too. Ginny is getting rockier and it's a lot of work to go down that trail as quickly as possible.

In the last pic my bike is being blown over by the wind, perfect...

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.