Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Boarders/Skiers what's the Scenario?

Sup,

Moved here last spring and got a chance to hit up Breck, Vail, and Steamboat. Out of the 3 I think I had the most fun in Steamboat but that could be due to ample amounts of snow the 2 days I was there

Just curious where you all ride/ski, why, etc?

I grew up skiing/riding www.bridgerbowl.com so I'm looking for something similar. Basically a place that offers some great backcountry if you're willing to put in the hike, good amount of pow days, and steep tree lines with pockets of cliff drops

I don't think I can afford the 5 resort pass so I was looking at either A-basin, or some other resort or possibly just getting some backcountry gear and hitting up berthoud pass and other spots.

Any suggestions?

slow
    I like the Basin for steeps and tree chutes. Worked there as a lift operator one season and became pretty familiar with the mountain. Haven't yet skied the backside (Montezuma Bowl).

J\V
    mtbr member
    Loveland isn't bad for that sort of thing. Lots of hikable out-of-bounds stuff, all above treeline, but your avy skills should be up to snuff to do so...
    '07 Specialized Epic Marathon w/Crossmax SLRs
    '10 S-Works Tarmac SL3 w/Polar CS600x+Power

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Good amount of pow days - that would be Steamboat or maybe Vail.

Steep trees - that would be Mary Jane. A-Basin has some nice steep trees but there aren't very many of them.

Pockets of cliff drops? Hmmm... probably Steamboat again. Vail has a few of those too.

As J/V mentioned - make sure your avy knowledge is decent. We have a similar climate to what you might be used to in MT, but we're probably sunnier than that generally which makes things a bit more perilous, generally speaking.

You know... Mary Jane has a few pockets of cliff drops too.

mtbr member
    Not going to find anything like Bridger Bowl at the resorts on the FR. A Basin has some nice stuff, but they don't get much snow. Depending on where you are living I would suggest Loveland for the best snow and best value.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Try winter park and mary jane. Great snow, amazing trees and tons of hidden cliffs if you know where to look. The Cirque is amazing backcountry terrain, and the hike is not to long. If you go there, ask a local about mushroom patch. Not a marked trail, but it has some of the most intense cliffs and steep tree skiing.
    It is not the bike that makes the rider, it is the rider that makes the bike.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by skierdude35
    Try winter park and mary jane. Great snow, amazing trees and tons of hidden cliffs if you know where to look. The Cirque is amazing backcountry terrain, and the hike is not to long. If you go there, ask a local about mushroom patch. Not a marked trail, but it has some of the most intense cliffs and steep tree skiing.
    Please see picture above.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Please see picture above.

Correction: The Cirque is *not* backcountry terrain. It is controlled like the rest of Winter Park/Mary Jane.

And it isn't worth the hike, IMO... the round trip to get back is a killer. Might get better with the new 6-pack going up Parsenn. Then again, maybe not.

Inflexable...
    Don't buy the 5 moutian pass. There is never anything worth going there for and they don't ever have powder or steep terrain or drops...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

skillz to pay billz
    just renewed

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Getting back from the cirque is a lot easier after they put in the eagle wind ( but the killed most of backside parsen ) definetly go WP, cause the pass lets you go to copper to. Free cat skiing!!! I cant see the pic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    not that i don't like copper, but i don't get the big deal about the cat skiing...... the wait for the cat is usually longer than it takes to hike around copper bowl to the drop off point anyway...... and it's not like you step out of the cat, click (or strap) in, and drop in, there's still a 10-25 min hike depending on the line you take. and that part of the hike is a lot more tiring than the part that the cat covers for you anyway (considering that you can ride mountain chief lift and hike around rim of copper bowl with very little change in vertical). nothing against copper though, fun mountain, but the snowcat is a lot less totally awesome in my opinion than the publicity would lead you to believe.

agreed about mary jane trees being amazing by the way, there are sick tree lines everywhere on that mountain, literally everywhere..... and cliffs of all sizes hidden around amongst the trees too. i would thoroughly endorse WP/MJ in that aspect......

Inflexable...
    Don't ski in summit county. It pretty much sucks already...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Getting back from the cirque is a lot easier after they put in the eagle wind ng!!! I can( but the killed most of backside parsen
    Eagle Wind didn't kill BSOP. That area was opened long before that lift was put in... I think it was opened the same year they opened the Cirque.

feel the Force
    Crested Butte for some great steeps.

Moderator Moderator
    My best days have been at Steamboat and Vail - but you'll have to take out a second on your house to afford a pass there. The 5 resort pass is good and when there is 20"+ I use to call in sick and head straight to Blue Sky at Vail for the day. Once you use up all your Vail days it's sad to go to the others... I board so some of the stuff at Steamboat always flattens out but the snow quality is just so so nice. That said, I've had some really good days at Loveland and A-Basin. Smaller lines and I've noticed riding there knocks a good 1.5 hours of drive time if you are heading deeper into Summit County. My wife is from Kalispell and grew up skiing Big Mountain a lot. Pretty cool to be above the clouds there all the time but I like the champagne CO powder a little better. But man is it nice to never wait more than 3 minutes for a lift like you do up in Montana.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Pretty cool to be above the clouds there all the time but I like the champagne CO powder a little better. But man is it nice to never wait more than 3 minutes for a lift like you do up in Montana.
    I grew up in Bozeman so Bridger Bowl was 20 min. down the road, only 10 min when I stayed at my buddy's house. It was a great childhood to get a season pass and only have to bother the parents to drive you to the bus stop. Bridger ran a shuttle from town to the base, so I clocked out around 40 days minimum a year all through the younger years. My dad was a ski fanatic so everytime there was a snowstorm, guess who got to rip school..

I've yet to find a place that tops that experience, although Jackson Hole offered some comparable terrain. I think it was just the simple fact that we dominated that mountain as a pack of groms looking to go pro and knew every inch of it.

Thanks for the info everyone! My cousin has a house in Vail so I'll probably be going there some, the ticket prices just don't justify the attitudes and terrain though IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kchri
    Don't ski in summit county. It pretty much sucks already...

Damn, is this the scenario up there already??? Looks like I need to wax the board Where's that at, you can pm me if you're feeling generously nice

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Good luck man, vail is an awsome mountain, as is most of CO. Plus, if your not to old and looking for a way to get to be a better skier( or just wanting to spice it up a bit) try racing. Nothin beats bombing down a hill at 70mph with the course to yourself (accept mabye huge powder days.)

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Nothin beats bombing down a hill at 70mph with the course to yourself (accept mabye huge powder days.)
    What the hell do you mean "MAYBE"?!?

Awesomist™
    The people handed me an order: it said "bust a scenario!"
    But when I'm south of the border they call me "revolutionario"
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

MountainMafia "Boss"
    Monarch Ski & Snowboard area is a small "locals" resort that doesn't get much props. My wife and I hit that mtn every year and it rocks. There's no crowds, and a variety of terrain. They opened a "backcountry" area up either last year or the year before, and you can find just about anything you want to back there. Lift tix are way cheaper than Breck, Vail, etc. to.
    "Live to ride... FREERIDE to live!!!!!!"

wanna be
    Loveland Is cold and windy, you dont want to go there, you would'nt like it
    mario

Inflexable...
    Quote Originally Posted by Reamer
    Damn, is this the scenario up there already??? Looks like I need to wax the board Where's that at, you can pm me if you're feeling generously nice
    Loveland Pass... Make sure you are prepared to ride there. Having the proper equipment and competent partners is a requirement with any BC experience. Loveland Pass is no exception.

This was taken on Thursday 10/18...

Anyone who doesn't believe Summit County has the goods has not really spent enough time riding there...

mtbr member
    Winter Park is def not the best mountain in CO. Lived there for 5 years. After 2 seasons I was bored of the terrain. The cirque is short and the runout long. Mary Jane trees are mostly tight and the runs are short with a long catwalk back to the lift. About the only thing that kept me riding was the access gates. But hiking back to the lifts sucks. Berthoud Pass has some decent backcountry and you can do shuttles.
    I live in the Vail area now. I am a lot less bored. So much lift accessed terrain I find it hard to get bored. Vail pass has lots of back country possibilities. I would say Vail has better tree skiing than WP as well.
    If I was coming from the front range I would probably buy a pass to Copper. It is an awesome mountain and has excellent mountain lift access and terrain.

Oh and backcountry skiing this early is foolish in the least. I was riding Berthoud Pass a decade ago late October and hit a submerged stump which sent me airborn into a tree. I trashed my knee and had 2 surgeries. No insurance as well. To many obstacles under the 1 foot of snow. Somebodies gonna pay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast