Thread: BMX question???

mtbr member

BMX question???

Anyone know if a 26 inch mt. bike or a 26 inch BMX bike can be raced in the ABA cruiser (24 inch) class?

I know my local BMX track may allow it but what if I went to a bigger triple point or state championship? I'm not as concerned about being competitive as I am being comfortable on the track?

I looked at the USABMX website but could not find anything.
    Id rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth........Steve McQueen

mtbr member
    Follow up question. What would be the best choice to go with?
    1) a 26 inch BMX bike like a SE OM Flyer, or GT 26 inch Intercepter (very *****in looking)
    2) a 26 inch dirt jumper?
    3) a 26 inch mt bike a size or two smaller than I would normally ride?

I'll bet I could get option 2 or 3 a lot cheaper than I could option number 1
    Id rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth........Steve McQueen

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yes you can, it states in the rules somewhere, you will race cruiser class and gears are allowed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mantaman View Post
    Anyone know if a 26 inch mt. bike or a 26 inch BMX bike can be raced in the ABA cruiser (24 inch) class?

I know my local BMX track may allow it but what if I went to a bigger triple point or state championship? I'm not as concerned about being competitive as I am being comfortable on the track?

I looked at the USABMX website but could not find anything.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zumlin View Post
    Yes you can, it states in the rules somewhere, you will race cruiser class and gears are allowed as well.
    24" and up u will be in the cruiser class, no a or b or c, pretty much all pros on full rigid 24s that full on stomped a mud hole in my ass riding a trick super light P1 with a 80mm sid!
    Go do it! The skills learned are invaluable! The margin of error on the BMX track is extremely fine and will make u a better rider everywhere.

mtbr member
    Raced 41-45 cruiser all over the state until 2008. You can certainly run any bike with a larger diameter wheel in cruiser class at all ABA tracks.

Personally, I prefer the 24" and its shorter wheelbase for the modern track, especially rhythm sections. But you may rest assured there are any number of supa fast hombres rolling 26" geared MTBs and handling the track just like they were on a traditional BMX rig. In fact, some of the guys I used to race have moved from traditional 24" cruisers to bikes like Santa Cruz Jackals and Yeti DJs.

No matter what you decide, get out there and have fun! It's a blast and your overall riding skills will be enhanced by the pursuit.
    The sketchier you are, the better you'll look in artists' renderings.