Shattering Glass

BMA on the Camera

Reading the news this morning and BMA advertisement smack dead in the middle of the front page. Your membership fee's at work (and it's working). Talk about presence.
    Thanks BMA ! Just voted for the Valmont park as everyone should....

mtbr member

nice!

quick scan or camera-phone pic?
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbmike
    just go to dailycamera.com

We bought a big box ad on the home page. It may take several reloads of the home page because we are being cycled with several other ads.

If you don't think this makes a difference, you are living under a rock. Our friends see it, our supporters see it, and our opponents definitely see it and freak. Most of all, the politicians see it.

Advocacy, effective, substantial advocacy is about political power. Every trail decision is political at it's core. If you haven't got the politics handled.... you don't have any power.

It's taken 16 years to get here. In 2000, we made a deliberate choice to become politically active and ever since then things have gotten incrementally better.

Unfortunately, we are unable to significantly speed up how fast government operates, that seems to be the hardest thing to do and most frustrating.

Baby steps.... in the right direction...
    Last edited by mtbmike1; 10-25-2007 at 10:47 AM.
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

The world is run by those that show up....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmike1
    just go to dailycamera.com

We bought a big box ad on the home page. It make take several reloads of the home page because we are being cycled with several other ads....
    I'll say--I had to reload a dozen times before I saw it, with repeats of Audi, Washington Village, a church, and Insight Lasik in the meantime. But way to go BMA!

I might head out and ride Doudy Draw for the first time this afternoon. I can't wait to see the product of your labor--sorry I couldn't make it out.

Your retarded

Took at least a dozen clicks for me too, but it worked.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

lucky enough

Great Job!

Well done. I certainly vote with who's clued into mountain biking.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Advocacy, effective, substantial advocacy is about political power. Every trail decision is political at it's core. If you haven't got the politics handled.... you don't have any power.
    agreed... we (COMBA) have made some inroads in this arena too the last couple of years. we've got some strong, dedicated folks on our policy committee, and jeffco staff knows at least a few of them by name now. that, coupled w/ our "boots on the ground" presence at numerous trail days this year has helped coalesce our relationship w/ the county.

baby steps indeed, but we'll take what we can get. someday i hope to be able to look back at this thread and smile, after riding new trail from white ranch to walker ranch and back.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbmike

You get what you put in...

Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    agreed... we (COMBA) have made some inroads in this arena too the last couple of years. we've got some strong, dedicated folks on our policy committee, and jeffco staff knows at least a few of them by name now. )
    How many of you are on a first name basis with your County Commissioners? For Jeffco Open Space, they are the people who sign the checks. Staff, when they know you have their ear, treat you differently. And when the Commissioners stick their noses into their business on behalf of you, you damn sure get treated differently.

This is not to say that having a good relationship with staff isn't important, it's critical. And it's just as important to use the chain of command with issues. One has to know when to use those County Commissioners and only use them sparingly. But the simple fact that staff knows you are on a first name basis with their bosses changes the dynamics of how you are treated.

A lot of the time, it's us asking the Commissioners, "what can we do for you?" Donating time and/or money to get them elected will make them your friend forever.

We all get the government we deserve. This is our time. Once again, I refer to my tag line.
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

Rolling
    I guess I will join that new church of Boulder valley instead.... cuz I can't get the BMA ad to pop up.

mtbmike

We might be spent for the day...

We are getting something like 3600 impressions a day Monday through Friday this week....

Next Monday, we get the pop up ad on the home page all day .... unlimited impressions
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

mtbr member
    How many of you are on a first name basis with your County Commissioners? For Jeffco Open Space, they are the people who sign the checks. Staff, when they know you have their ear, treat you differently. And when the Commissioners stick their noses into their business on behalf of you, you damn sure get treated differently.
    well i won't tread too far out of my experience here, as i don't work policy (i just show up at the county meetings and try to say something relevant. )... but in jeffco there is an important "middle layer", which is the open space advisory council (OSAC)-- they work w/ JCOS "staff" (i.e. the director of OS and his team) and take their recommendations directly to the commissioners. thanks to the work of dave cohen and others (namely peter morales w/ COMBA), we are certainly taken seriously by those folks too-- they recognize the dedication, hard work, and thoughtful insight that we (mtn bike community) bring to the table.

so i take it the names on your ad are county commissioner seats up for grabs? candidate endorsements?

mtbmike
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    but in jeffco there is an important "middle layer", which is the open space advisory council (OSAC)-- they work w/ JCOS "staff" (i.e. the director of OS and his team) and take their recommendations directly to the commissioners. thanks to the work of dave cohen and others (namely peter morales w/ COMBA), we are certainly taken seriously by those folks too-- they recognize the dedication, hard work, and thoughtful insight that we (mtn bike community) bring to the table.

so i take it the names on your ad are county commissioner seats up for grabs? candidate endorsements?
    We have that middle layer as well. We have a BMA Board member (Jason Vogel) on the Parks and Open Space Advisory Committee (POSAC) and he is doing an excellent job of getting people and staff out of their comfort zone. The Commissioners rely on these appointee committees because of the complex and detailed issues that come from staff and they can't be experts on everything. But in the final analysis, these committees only advise. Unfortunately, POSAC has been closer to a rubber stamp for BCPOS in recent years, but that is slowly but surely changing.

No County Commissioners up for election this time around. The City of Boulder has almost 50,000 acres of open space, so that is another agency that BMA has to deal with. And the group at the top of that food chain is the Boulder City Council. That is why we are involved in the City Council race.
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

good job

Mike, BMA has really come a long way. When you can get that many city council members to show up at the BMA meeting, very impressive. You all are really doing a great job on advocacy and the hard work of building trails, AND getting along with the city and the county.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the hard work Mike and everyone else at BMA! Great to see some solid progress being made.

Arrrgggghhh!!
    FYI, My wife and I voted a straight BMA ticket.

Neither of us would have voted for the council seats otherwise since we are not normally involved in local politics. We would have voted for the tax measures though.

Bill
    Give 'da people 'da air.