Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Yeah, I'll Ride That

Blue Sky Conditions?

Anyone been out on Blue Sky lately?

Custom User Title
    LINK It doesn't mention blue sky but there is a number to call
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    I rode from Coyote Ridge, North up Blue Sky to Lory Park Saturday morning and Blue Sky was just fine. I was on the trail at about 8:30 so it was still frozen. If you ride Blue Sky after it has thawed I think you would still be ok because there wasn't much snow or ice on the section from Coyote Ridge to Harmony Road. The ride from Harmony Road to Lory via the Nomad trail was a different story. The single track is mostly snow and ice so it was quite a challenge trying to stay on the trail. I think it will nee another two weeks of melting before it's ready.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Furrydogs
    I rode from Coyote Ridge, North up Blue Sky to Lory Park Saturday morning and Blue Sky was just fine. I was on the trail at about 8:30 so it was still frozen. If you ride Blue Sky after it has thawed I think you would still be ok because there wasn't much snow or ice on the section from Coyote Ridge to CoRd 38E. The ride from CoRd 38E to Lory via the Nomad trail was a different story. The single track is mostly snow and ice so it was quite a challenge trying to stay on the trail. I think it will nee another two weeks of melting before it's ready.
    Fixed it.
    Thanks for the report Furrydogs.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Furrydogs
    I rode from Coyote Ridge, North up Blue Sky to Lory Park Saturday morning and Blue Sky was just fine. I was on the trail at about 8:30 so it was still frozen. If you ride Blue Sky after it has thawed I think you would still be ok because there wasn't much snow or ice on the section from Coyote Ridge to Harmony Road. The ride from Harmony Road to Lory via the Nomad trail was a different story. The single track is mostly snow and ice so it was quite a challenge trying to stay on the trail. I think it will nee another two weeks of melting before it's ready.
    I rode by blue sky today on my road bike (over the tunnel) and the slop/mud was pretty amazing. Honestly I can't imagine that trail being any fun until April unless you 1. Ride it still frozen or 2 we have a 70 degree week. Please don't ride off road if it is over 32 degrees!
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

drinks from the fountain
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Please don't ride off road if it is over 32 degrees!
    I was surprised how much it melted at 20 degrees on Sunday. (sunny)
    pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

29ers Only.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmosebar
    I was surprised how much it melted at 20 degrees on Sunday. (sunny)

Yeah I'm glad I don't mind riding my road bike. I was just shaking my head at the cars that passed my with muddy mtn bikes on vehicles at 3:30 in the afternoon yesterday on W CO 38E either coming back from Bobcat or HTMP. There is a lot of damage for sure this year, more from people riding when it's 40 degrees out!
    Brett

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did Coyote tonight. What the )*#)*$#%. It's now 3 lane highway wide. The trail was frozen, and the ride was BuMpY to a say the least. Not to be singling out a user group, but seems hikers and/or horses really jacked up the trail. I saw a few tracks, but the majority of the carnage was foot/hoof craters. There's a big sign at the trail head stating the conditions and asking for some common sense...oh well.

Custom User Title
    This type of stuff was/is a yearly occurance where I used to live. It sucks. The worst part is that it is a small portion of users doing the most damage. Well the trails will come back..might not be as nice as before....or might not even be noticeable later.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

To be continued
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe
    Did Coyote tonight. What the )*#)*$#%. It's now 3 lane highway wide. The trail was frozen, and the ride was BuMpY to a say the least. Not to be singling out a user group, but seems hikers and/or horses really jacked up the trail. I saw a few tracks, but the majority of the carnage was foot/hoof craters. There's a big sign at the trail head stating the conditions and asking for some common sense...oh well.
    Why doesn't the county just gate the trail off when the conditions are bad? I can't imagine letting users destroy the trail is a sustainable management model . . .
    P3575303RDH

drinks from the fountain
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest3070
    Why doesn't the county just gate the trail off when the conditions are bad? I can't imagine letting users destroy the trail is a sustainable management model . . .
    I Agree. They should be embarrassed for the management of DBB, Coyote,and blue sky this winter. FCNA did a great job closing Bobcat when need be.
    I rode DBB this morn. it is finally ok. Real wide and a few new cheater lines tho. Like cytoe said BUMPY mostly due to hikers/runners.
    pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

mtbr member

Because they are spending all that money from parking fees on new stuff for boaters.

To be continued
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    Because they are spending all that money from parking fees on new stuff for boaters.
    As much as I hate to admit this the boaters do bring a lot of money into the parks system.

It'd be very encouraging to see more public visibility for the trails system - one that can adequately convey to casual users (read: those that don't notice when somebody moves a rock on heart attack hill) the damage they're doing collectively to the trail system during poor conditions - a sort of "WHEN YOU RIDE / WALK / HORSE AROUND THAT MUD PUDDLE YOU RIDE WITH HITLER" campaign.

I know that as a user group we're quite connected to the trails given our frequent repeat visits, but someone out walking the dog on a whim doesn't have that same connection so they're less likely to be bothered to minimize trail damage.
    P3575303RDH

mtbr member
    As much as I hate to admit this the boaters do bring a lot of money into the parks system.

It'd be very encouraging to see more public visibility for the trails system - one that can adequately convey to casual users (read: those that don't notice when somebody moves a rock on heart attack hill) the damage they're doing collectively to the trail system during poor conditions - a sort of "WHEN YOU RIDE / WALK / HORSE AROUND THAT MUD PUDDLE YOU RIDE WITH HITLER" campaign.

I know that as a user group we're quite connected to the trails given our frequent repeat visits, but someone out walking the dog on a whim doesn't have that same connection so they're less likely to be bothered to minimize trail damage.
    What i would really like to see is a different parking pass for trail users. I just think the price is way too high.

To be continued
    What i would really like to see is a different parking pass for trail users. I just think the price is way too high.
    I'm of two minds about this one.

I agree that the single-day passes get pricey and fast, but I think a yearly county pass pays for itself in about two weeks if you're riding a lot.

I like seeing all of the single-day passes because they're paying a huge markup to use the trail system, but again - not a lot of investment in the trail conditions over the long term.
    P3575303RDH

mtbr member
    I'm of two minds about this one.

I agree that the single-day passes get pricey and fast, but I think a yearly county pass pays for itself in about two weeks if you're riding a lot.

I like seeing all of the single-day passes because they're paying a huge markup to use the trail system, but again - not a lot of investment in the trail conditions over the long term.
    I totally understand the argument. But coming from Philly we have Wissahickon park and a yearly pass is only $5. Now thats allot lower but only mountain bikers pay to use the trails its free for every other user group. So I just find $65 over priced for the actual mount of miles of trail its gets me on to. I also find it kind of a rip off when I'm expected to volunteer to do trail work when I'm paying to use the trails in the first place.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I totally understand the argument. But coming from Philly we have Wissahickon park and a yearly pass is only $5. Now thats allot lower but only mountain bikers pay to use the trails its free for every other user group. So I just find $65 over priced for the actual mount of miles of trail its gets me on to. I also find it kind of a rip off when I'm expected to volunteer to do trail work when I'm paying to use the trails in the first place.
    I don't mind paying to use the trails...but it would be nice if one pass covered both HTMP and Lory. Yeah, I can ride into Lori, but would be nice to be able to park there too. Anyway, how did we get to discussing $$$? Bluesky, DBB, Coyote, etc are free....well, if you don't count me bending over at at tax time. Back to the problem at hand: stupid people. Perhaps bigger, brighter signs will pictures would help deter misuse.

mtbr member
    Stand at the trail head with baseball bats and take them out at the knees when its wet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    It's real simple-ride them when it is frozen!

I have lived in areas where riders loose total access during the wet season. We in the Front Range, often loose sight of how lucky we are, to be able to ride year-a-round.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 2HEAVY
    It's real simple-ride them when it is frozen!

Word! I just got back from riding Coyote Ridge/Rimrock and the conditions are awesome. Snapped a couple pics before running out of juice. Tomorrow morning should be really good, it was getting soft already when I was heading out around 10 or so. I saw a bald eagle swooping down on Prairie Dogs not too far from the bathroom up over that first hill. I think they are hungry with all the lakes frozen over. Lots of critter tracks and very surreal this morning.

Some spots were chunky/ice pack so descending was interesting....but there is no more than an inch or two on the ground up there. I'm putting on my studded tires for this weekend! Will be hard, frozen and fast if it stays like this all weekend.

Brett
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blue Sky Conditions?-img_3757.jpg  

Blue Sky Conditions?-img_3759.jpg  

Blue Sky Conditions?-img_3761.jpg  

Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    ^^ +1 for Blue Sky and Indian Summer, starting from fire station.

mtbr member
    If it's still below freezing at 10 I'll be doing Coyote Ridge otherwise I'll have to do it Sunday early morning. The forecast is for more snow so that could change things too.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    If you do some volunteer trail maintenance you can get your annual pass for free.

If you don't want to pay to play, donate your time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    If you do some volunteer trail maintenance you can get your annual pass for free.

If you don't want to pay to play, donate your time.
    Really i didn't know that. What group do I need to contact?

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    Really i didn't know that. What group do I need to contact?
    This is the only thing I found on a brief look through the county's site.
    http://www.larimer.org/naturalresources/volunteer/

You don't have to commit to any of those programs listed on the site because there are multiple volunteer groups that can always use help on their trail work days including B.O.B., Mountain High Trail Association, Larimer County Horseman's Assoc., as well as Lee's and Diamond peaks.

Unfortunately, it looks like they are still only listing a restricted hours pass, which I thought they were going to expand on.

I have always just purchased the pass and did a few days of volunteer work, never taking advantage of the free program.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast