Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bad Case of the Mondays

Blasphemy I know, but any road bike recommendations?

My sister is doing the MS150 bit and is pushing hard to get me to do it with her. I've never owned a road bike, barely ever ridden one. While I think I might be able to do 75 miles in day on my mountain bike with the shock/fork locked out with some slicks on it, I think I'd be pretty miserable doing it.

So I'm looking at getting a cheap road bike to do this ride and maybe some commuting.

Couple bikes I've considered:
    Giant OCR 2
    Specialized Allez Triple
    Surly Pacer (Frame only)
    And some used bikes (which is probably the best option)

Target range would be $500 - $1000. Anyone got any recommendations or gotchas to watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    My sister is doing the MS150 bit and is pushing hard to get me to do it with her. I've never owned a road bike, barely ever ridden one. While I think I might be able to do 75 miles in day on my mountain bike with the shock/fork locked out with some slicks on it, I think I'd be pretty miserable doing it.

So I'm looking at getting a cheap road bike to do this ride and maybe some commuting.

Couple bikes I've considered:
    Giant OCR 2
    Specialized Allez Triple
    Surly Pacer (Frame only)
    And some used bikes (which is probably the best option)

Target range would be $500 - $1000. Anyone got any recommendations or gotchas to watch out for?

Thanks in advance.
    Skip the chodebike and go straight for the real thing - get a cyclocross bike. I rode the Triple Bypass on mine last year and didn't once wish for a different bike. Once you are done w/ the 150, you can rip the less tech. singletrack on it to build skills (seeing how it'll be rigid and all) - plus you can ride it in the winter, etc, etc, etc... WAY more fun than a roadie.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...query=category
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Godzilla; 04-21-2006 at 01:33 PM.
    Now with more vitriol!

MTB'er
    Sep 2005

My recommendation is...

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by blatido
    Already been there but just as here on mtbr.com the review sections are pretty sketchy at best.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    Skip the chodebike and go straight for the real thing - get a cyclocross bike. I rode the Triple Bypass on mine last year and didn't once wish for a different bike. Once you are done w/ the 150, you can rip the less tech. singletrack on it to build skills (seeing how it'll be rigid and all) - plus you can ride it in the winter, etc, etc, etc... WAY more fun than a roadie.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...query=category
    I second this opinion. My Las Cruces is pretty light, good on the road, and has versatility. If you are not going hardcore w/ the whole roadie thing a cross bike may be your ticket. Fun fun fun.

contains quinine
    A 54cm Merckx would be a good bet! I think I know where you could get one...

I've got roadie buddy of mine has me contemplating the Triple, and last night he called to egg me on with the Elephant Rock ride. I think he's pestering so hard because I took him on a mtb ride last year where he soaked himself falling in a creek, but I degress. I won't do long rides on the Merckx, its just a tad too big that I don't like it. So I'm looking too, at a few different things. Mostly thinking about a different frame and fork - I fluctuate between something steel and old school or carbony and new school.

I agree with Godzilla - cross bikes rule, and i love mine, built with lowly Tiagra, still runs like a champ with 1500 miles of mostly dirt and gravel riding. It's probably 90% as effecient as a road bike. I sorta want that last 10% if I'm spending tons of miles on a bike... And I want to have something sorta bling-y next to my buddys new ti ride.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    A 54cm Merckx would be a good bet! I think I know where you could get one...

I agree with Godzilla - cross bikes rule, and i love mine, built with lowly Tiagra, still runs like a champ with 1500 miles of mostly dirt and gravel riding.
    So is your 54cm Merckx a cross bike? 54 may be a bit small for me, the couple I've ridden that fit me really well were 55 or 56s.

If you are seriously thinking of getting rid of it, shoot me a PM and maybe I can swing by and check it out sometime.

Outcast
    I'd recommend a suzuki GSX1000R. The miles will roll by fast, and each one will put a smile on your face!

They do allow a motorcycle on the ride, don't they? You know, for safety reasons?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There is a lot of merit to the CX thing. Having said that, last year I took the choad route. I picked up one of Performance's house brand deals in 105 double for under $800. With that I got the bike, a few extra tubes, some bottle mounts, and the team performance deal. It got me through the winter when I didn't want to tear up the trails. It is also a good ride when you don't have time to travel to/from the trail. IF you only have 1.5 hours to spare, you can actually fit a 1.5 hour in with a front door out and back. I think I picked it up in June on clearance, which should be plenty of time to dial things in for the MS150, or at least is was last year. It amazes me how they blow these things out in the middle of the year, but I wasn't about to complain. I could have probably gone a bit cheaper, but I wanted double. Since 105 is the lowest end for double, that is where I found the best deal. I couldn't see doing anything more advanced, as I would rather spend the big bucks on the MTB. Craigs list would be a good option too.

Open the canned peaches!
    Since you're considering the Giant, I'll put my 2 cents in:

I got a Giant TCR at the end of last summer, my first ever road bike, and I really like it. It fits me really well, feels really light, snappy and fast.
    I test rode the Allez and didn't like it as much, seemed like a harsher ride than the Giant and didn't seem to respond as snappily as the Giant.
    I got it off of Craigslist and think buying used will get you the best deal if you can take a little time to find something.
    I don't ride it nearly as much as my mt. bike, but I really enjoy the change of pace and with a bad back I can give it a break now and then but still be able to get some bike time.

I can't think of any gotchas but, as I'm sure you know, make sure it fits. You'll be more miserable on a bike that doesn't fit than on your mt. bike with slicks and locked out fork.

That said, I rode a couple of road centuries a few years back on my mt. bike with slicks and it wasn't that bad. Slower, but not miserable. I found some riders to ride with and draft and didn't have too bad a time at all.
    Slow is Smooth, and Smooth is Fast.

Tame the Penguin!

Jdub,

I just bought a roadie to start working on my cardio over lunch breaks at work:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/05_eclipse.html

It's a 57cm so if you'd like to try it some time, I'm starting out with MTB pedals on it and you are welcome to ride it to see how it fits.

All '05 Jamis bikes are on Close Out pricing. Any Jamis dealer, like MHC, can hook you up.

The Eclipse is a bit out of your price range but here are some that aren't:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/05_quest.html
    $970 including shipping, setup, tune, and 5yr warranty

http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/05_venturacomp.html
    $810 including shipping, setup, tune, and 5yr warranty

http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/05_venturasport.html
    $675 including shipping, setup, tune, and 5yr warranty

http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/05_satellite.html
    $545 including shipping, setup, tune, and 5yr warranty

If I can help you out....just tell me how.

--Beast

trail waggler

Friends don't let friends ride asphalt...

Where ARE your friends when you need them

mtbr member
    I have a road bike and CX.

Road is great for doing lots of road miles. I'd look at a cannondale if you have a chance. I really like the way they fit. Also don't hesitate to buy a used road bike. Road bikes tend to not get beat up like a mtn bike. Heck I have a 55cm Waterford with Dura Ace and ultegra I'd sell for your price range!

But, if you aren't going ot be hammering out road miles and really are going to commute on it mostly. Go cross! Cross bikes are great commuters, with their bar top levers, more upright seating and cross tires. I commute to work on the cross bike and then on the way home jump on the trails to make the ride more exciting. Cross bikes rock!

-Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

road bikes are great

I just finished a 55 mile ride up to Jamestown, Hygene, all the way back to Marshall Rd. Beautiful day. I saw a cow that had moments earlier given birth to a little calf. I ride a LeMond Zurich. I'd look for a used bike with the brands you mentioned. Or the cross bike is a good choice too. I don't understand why folks don't want to ride on the road more. Many times it beats dealing with the crowds at the same old places along the front range. Good luck and you will enjoy it.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. The wife took the "gonna buy another bike" news better than expected, and I found out my parents/sister were planning on helping me out with a road bike for my birthday in a couple weeks, so I've got more budget!

I've kicked a couple tires, still can't decide between cross or road, I'm gonna have to do some test rides I think.

The cross bike that I've seen that really peaked my interest is the Felt F1x. Its a bit more expensive, but with my new found budget it is probably feasible. I'm leaning towards the cross bikes now just for the fact I'd like to have something like that to hit up the Poorman loop in Boulder at lunch. I'd assume that with some slicks on a cross bike they would be good enough for me to pound out some long road miles on as well.

Beast - I'll send you an email and see if I can meet up with you sometime this week to take a spin on yo new ride. I'll probably be up that way Tuesday to drop off my bike at PUSH and stop in at MHC for a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smile I'd love to have a cross bike...

Looks like a nice one, and yes it would be nice for the Poorman's loop at lunch. I ride my old hardtail up that one from time to itme.

contains quinine
    [QUOTE=Jdub]... I'm leaning towards the cross bikes now just for the fact I'd like to have something like that to hit up the Poorman loop in Boulder at lunch. I'd assume that with some slicks on a cross bike they would be good enough for me to pound out some long road miles on as well....[QUOTE]

Cross bike first, then road bike. (wow, so much more concise than my last post!) You'll grab it fo your commuting needs, and for those crappy wintery days when you want to ride but all the trails are closed.

Bigger budget = bigger shopping dilema for me. Hope you get it sorted!
    Last edited by Debaser; 04-23-2006 at 04:49 PM.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    That's a nice choice. I think a cross bike is a great way to start - they're just more versatile all the way around. I just got my first cross bike after riding a road bike for the last 2 years - we'll see which I end up on more.

It's true you can switch tires for a good long road ride on your cross bike, but also think about your gearing. Road bikes tend to have bigger gears to maintain a faster speed. That's the first thing I noticed on the cross bike - I was heading down the road on a slight incline, and could not find a gear big enough to push faster. You should experiment, and maybe have some additional chainrings (or casette) around to suit the type of ride you're doing as you get more saddle time.

The only reason I'd ever suggest a road bike over a cross bike is if you a) really are ONLY going to ride on pavement, and b) would benefit from the generally lighter weight and snappier acceleration of a road bike.

A Guy Who is Going Places
    You should come see me. If anything we can get you a clear idea of what is the best fit, which wwill make used bike shoipping easier.
    http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

Time is not a road.
    What's happening to you people?

(good deal on the Jamis...I might do that!)

Tame the Penguin!
    Beast - I'll send you an email and see if I can meet up with you sometime this week to take a spin on yo new ride. I'll probably be up that way Tuesday to drop off my bike at PUSH and stop in at MHC for a bit.
    Jdub,

It sounds like you are pretty well set on going Xbike. Feel free to stop by the shop to ride my Eclipse and check for fitment. Bring your MTB shoes as I've got mtb pedals on it.

--Beast

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by El Beastro
    Jdub,

It sounds like you are pretty well set on going Xbike. Feel free to stop by the shop to ride my Eclipse and check for fitment. Bring your MTB shoes as I've got mtb pedals on it.
    I'm certainly leaning towards the crossbike for sure. I like the idea of having something I could still ride all the dirt roads/paths around Boulder on as I'm still not crazy about riding with all the idiots text messaging while driving. When I do the commute to work I tend to criss cross the country side on as many dirt roads as I can for that fact. However, I have not ruled out a straight road bike yet and am planning on doing test rides on both types of bikes to make my final decision.

I'm hoping to be up MHC/PUSH way on Tuesday, so maybe I can check it out then.

Stand back
    pssshh - you don't need a road bike to ride 2 - 75 mile days. I rode my first ms on my mtb with slicks. If it's sized correctly, it shouldn't be painful - if anything, a little easier over the bumps in the pavement.
    Now if you're doing the extra 25 mi each day for the century loop options, then maybe a roadbike would be the better choice.
    But, if you already have a roadbike fund going, also check out Fuji - generally really good deals for the money, and as with every other brand, '05 closeout prices abound. Got a Roubaix pro for my wife a few years ago, and it's been a great bike. Of course, that was when they were making them out of Reynolds 853. Now you'll have to settle for alum/ carbon mixed frames...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I second (or triple) the cross bike rec. So versatile. Great do everything bike. For the MS just get an inexpensive set of road tires and it's essentially a road bike - just subtle differences in geo, weight and brakes. If you get into pure road riding, you can just pick up a cheap road wheelset, mount it with your road tires and then easily switch it up for either road riding or cross/fireroad/commuting/whatever riding. I guess you could do the same with your mtb as long as it's not a big freeride bike or something. Slicks alone will make a huge difference. But a road/cross ride position would certainly be more efficient on the road.

Be careful, you may soon be shaving your legs and wearing garish race kits from teams sponsored by Italian pasta makers... S

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    I second (or triple) the cross bike rec. So versatile. Great do everything bike. For the MS just get an inexpensive set of road tires and it's essentially a road bike - just subtle differences in geo, weight and brakes. If you get into pure road riding, you can just pick up a cheap road wheelset, mount it with your road tires and then easily switch it up for either road riding or cross/fireroad/commuting/whatever riding. I guess you could do the same with your mtb as long as it's not a big freeride bike or something. Slicks alone will make a huge difference. But a road/cross ride position would certainly be more efficient on the road.

Be careful, you may soon be shaving your legs and wearing garish race kits from teams sponsored by Italian pasta makers... S
    I'm pretty sure I'll end up on a cross bike. My current & only bike I have now is a 5 3/4" travel dual squish that weighs just under 30lbs. I do have a set of slicks I can put on it (which help a ton on the road), but it still is a bit of a pig for longer road rides.

I'll likely end up getting a nice CX ride, buying a set of slicks and then just using it for everything that isn't a trail.

One thing I'm a bit concerned about is the gearing. Most bikes I've looked at are doubles, some with the smallest ring in the 38-39 range (with a 11-23 cassette). That seems like pretty big gearing, but then again I've always been stricly mountain so maybe that is the norm on the road.

What are you CX riders out there running for gearing? I'd like to do some of the bigger road climbs in the Boulder area for training, so I'm concerned about not having a "climbing" gear on the road.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast