(◣_◢)
    Mar 2010

Biking Law Question

Is it "law" (Colorado State or Federal) that states that a bike must have reflectors on it? I've looked but can't find anything obvious, but it's certainly possible that I missed something.

I won't be doing any night-time riding, but curious anyways.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I don't believe the law requires any reflectors, but I think it is law that you must have a light in front and back to ride on roads at night.

Here is a link to some good bicycling law info:
    http://colobikelaw.com/tips.php

(◣_◢)
    Mar 2010
    Yah, I saw that site. I guess I'm looking for something with official statutes listed. While I'm sure that guy "Brad" that runs that site is very knowledgeable on the subject, that site is not an official Colorado site. I'm looking for something "official" with actual statutes listed.

The guy that works at one of my LBS (the shop will remain nameless) today told me that it is both State and Federal Law that you must have reflectors on your bike at all times. I smelled BS so I challenged him and asked if he had any references or supporting documentation and he pulls up this United Kingdom web site. I pointed out that 1) That's not even a U.S. based site and 2) It didn't even have any references to having reflectors. He got really frustrated and just walked away from me. Really great LBS support, huh?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    This website states that bicycles in Colorado must have a red reflector on the rear at all times, and anyone riding at night must have a headlight and reflectors on both the left and right sides (visible from those sides). The first website is from Jefferson county, but the second link states this is law across the state:

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco...y_vehicles.pdf

http://pedalclub.org/index.php/safet...nt/co-bike-law

Sorry, but I have not been able to find a link to anything that lists the actual law that requires this.

mtbr member

See C.R.S. sec. 42-4-221(4)

Colorado Revised Statute 42-4-221. Bicycle and personal mobility device equipment

(1) No other provision of this part 2 and no provision of part 3 of this article shall apply to a bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, or EPAMD or to equipment for use on a bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, or EPAMD except those provisions in this article made specifically applicable to such a vehicle.

(2) Every bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, or EPAMD in use at the times described in section 42-4-204 shall be equipped with a lamp on the front emitting a white light visible from a distance of at least five hundred feet to the front.

(3) Every bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, or EPAMD shall be equipped with a red reflector of a type approved by the department, which shall be visible for six hundred feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of head lamps on a motor vehicle.

(4) Every bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, or EPAMD when in use at the times described in section 42-4-204 shall be equipped with reflective material of sufficient size and reflectivity to be visible from both sides for six hundred feet when directly in front of lawful lower beams of head lamps on a motor vehicle or, in lieu of such reflective material, with a lighted lamp visible from both sides from a distance of at least five hundred feet.

(5) A bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, or EPAMD or its rider may be equipped with lights or reflectors in addition to those required by subsections (2) to (4) of this section.

(6) A bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle shall not be equipped with, nor shall any person use upon a bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle, any siren or whistle.

(7) Every bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a brake or brakes that will enable its rider to stop the bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle within twenty-five feet from a speed of ten miles per hour on dry, level, clean pavement.

(8) A person engaged in the business of selling bicycles or electrical assisted bicycles at retail shall not sell any bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle unless the bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle has an identifying number permanently stamped or cast on its frame.

(9) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class B traffic infraction.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I just got a brand new Giant Reign from the bike shop (Thanks Kaj at Full Cycles in Boulder!)... and it has reflectors. I'm leaving them on... 'cause that's how I roll.

(◣_◢)
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BubColorado
    Colorado Revised Statute 42-4-221. Bicycle and personal mobility device equipment

(1) No other provision of this part 2 and no provision of part 3 of this article shall apply to a bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, or EPAMD or to equipment for use on a bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, or EPAMD except those provisions in this article made specifically applicable to such a vehicle.

(2) Every bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, or EPAMD in use at the times described in section 42-4-204 shall be equipped with a lamp on the front emitting a white light visible from a distance of at least five hundred feet to the front.

(3) Every bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, or EPAMD shall be equipped with a red reflector of a type approved by the department, which shall be visible for six hundred feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of head lamps on a motor vehicle.

(4) Every bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, or EPAMD when in use at the times described in section 42-4-204 shall be equipped with reflective material of sufficient size and reflectivity to be visible from both sides for six hundred feet when directly in front of lawful lower beams of head lamps on a motor vehicle or, in lieu of such reflective material, with a lighted lamp visible from both sides from a distance of at least five hundred feet.

(5) A bicycle, electrical assisted bicycle, or EPAMD or its rider may be equipped with lights or reflectors in addition to those required by subsections (2) to (4) of this section.

(6) A bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle shall not be equipped with, nor shall any person use upon a bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle, any siren or whistle.

(7) Every bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a brake or brakes that will enable its rider to stop the bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle within twenty-five feet from a speed of ten miles per hour on dry, level, clean pavement.

(8) A person engaged in the business of selling bicycles or electrical assisted bicycles at retail shall not sell any bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle unless the bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle has an identifying number permanently stamped or cast on its frame.

(9) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class B traffic infraction.
    Thank you -- that's what I was looking for. It references Colorado Revised Statute 42-4-204 which states:

State law requires that each vehicle have two functioning headlights and two functioning rear lights on each vehicle. State law mandates that the vehicle lights be on 30 minutes before sunset and 30 minutes after sunrise or when low light conditions warrant their use. Lights must be on during inclement weather (rain, fog, snow, etc).
    I had a feeling the guy at my LBS was feeding me BS. This proves it.

I'm certainly not questioning the safety aspect of reflectors -- that's not the issue here. The issue is that my LBS guy was giving me false/incorrect information regarding the laws.

mtbr member

I'm certainly not questioning the safety aspect of reflectors -- that's not the issue here. The issue is that my LBS guy was giving me false/incorrect information regarding the laws.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps he was simply misinformed. Manufacturers are required by federal Consumer Product Safety Comission regulations to put reflectors on bikes, other than track bikes and custom bikes.

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by lnferno
    Thank you -- that's what I was looking for. It references Colorado Revised Statute 42-4-204 which states:

I'm certainly not questioning the safety aspect of reflectors -- that's not the issue here. The issue is that my LBS guy was giving me false/incorrect information regarding the laws.
    I think your LBS guy was correct, or at least partially correct. Part 2 and 4 reference 42-4-204 which outlines certain conditions when lights/reflectors are required.
    Part 3 does not mention 42-4-204. Sounds to me like a red rear reflector is required at all times, or could be interpreted that way.

(◣_◢)
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BubColorado

Perhaps he was simply misinformed. Manufacturers are required by federal Consumer Product Safety Comission regulations to put reflectors on bikes, other than track bikes and custom bikes.
    That very well may have been the case. It's not necessarily a matter of who is right vs. who is wrong type deals, it was just the fact that he kept on changing his statements. It was like he put this pressure on himself to absolutely know the answer regardless of whether it was correct or not and he just got extremely frustrated and left me standing there.

I will have a lot more respect if you ask someone a question and they say something to the effect of "you know what, I'm not 100% certain of the answer. I'll have to do more reseach. Let me get back to you" rather than changing the argument to suit the answer.

Anyways, thank you for providing the statues. Regardless of what happened earlier with the guy at my LBS, those statutes are very good to know.

Does Not Belong on a Bike
    My unnamed bike from an unnamed local source did come with reflectors, but in the extras box.

US sold bikes specifically marketed as 'off road' or 'race' bikes are exempt from this restriction.

I along with many of my fellow lurkers here have 'off road' bikes.

This is why they call it mountain biking and not road biking up a dirt trail.

Quote Originally Posted by lnferno
    ...I had a feeling the guy at my LBS was feeding me BS. This proves it...
    Whoa there buddy! He works at a bike shop. I doubt he would be at the unnamed shop if he was a member of the Colorado Bar Assoc. Lawyers tend to have that "I gotta be better than you an make more than you and show everyone" thing and I don't see many bike shop employees rolling sweet X6 Bimmers to the shop here lately. If you want law advice, get it from a law source.

If he offered it and he was wrong, brush it off, don't be a rooster about it.
    This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I just got a brand new Giant Reign from the bike shop (Thanks Kaj at Full Cycles in Boulder!)... and it has reflectors. I'm leaving them on... 'cause that's how I roll.

Those are on there cause I wasn't "allowed" to take them off -- or I would have....
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetigirl
    Those are on there cause I wasn't "allowed" to take them off -- or I would have....
    It's a good thing. I would have b1tched to high heaven if there hadn't been any reflectors...

(◣_◢)
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    It's a good thing. I would have b1tched to high heaven if there hadn't been any reflectors...
    Hence your screen name! Just kidding

Anyways, I will admit, the whole incident probably bothered me more than it should have. I get along famously with everyone else who works at this LBS, but this was the first time I've dealt with this dude and it was like oil and water. I'll just try to do my best to steer clear of that guy again and deal with the other people who have been awesome to work with.

As far as reflectors go, I have them on my road bike, but not my mountain bike. I agree they are good for when riding on the road, but if I get hit by a car on a mountain trail on my mountain bike at night because I didn't have reflectors on, then I will accept full responsibility, but I'll have to ask why was the car on the trail in the first place

Cheers!

bike rider
    I know that bikes come with reflectors due to a CPSC law. That one doesn't say that you have to leave them on.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I keep my reflectors in a box along with the pillow and mattress tags.

bike rider
    Just in case the men in black show up?
    Keep the Country country.

Rigid in Evergreen
    If you ever need a reflector, you can just pick one up off the trail