Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Bikes at Eldora? Help make it happen...

...or at least annoy them by filling out this survey:
    http://www.eldora.com/mountain.comment.html

BMA is pushing to get as many pro-bike comments as possible - Eldora is thinking of installing some lifts that could be relatively easily set up for bike hauling, and it might be an opportune time to get them to relent on their "no bikes" policies.

So fill it out. It only takes like 2 minutes.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

how heavy are you ??
    I like!
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

Stand back
    I threw in my 2 cents.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Did the survey. Added my comments to it for summer riding.
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

VooDoo user.
    I told them they should close down. Go to Sol Vista if you want to ride mtn bikes DH.
    What we really need in Ned is more medical Mary Jane dispensories. 10 of them just won't be enough.

J/K
    I filled it out Pro- mtn bike. Lift service mtn biking at Eldon would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nothing against lift riding and bikes but this type of riding may be what scares the Eldora owners.
    Maybe just convincing them to allow riding without the lifts would be the first step??

Kaj
    mtbr member
    promoted both lift and regular trail use in my comment. And I told them they may make a few bucks too.
    Our Shops in Fort Collins and Boulder www.fullcyclebikes.com -- doing the mountainbike thing since '82

mtbr member
    I told them that it would be great to ha local place to ride when you don't have a full day to go up to WP or Sol Vista. i would be up there more if they opened the Mtn to bikes.
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

They're already insured.

Like most ski areas, liability (unless they're, like, deliberately stringing piano wire across the trail) isn't an issue, thanks to Colorado law (read all about it: http://www.chalatlaw.com/NEW/articles/skilaw.htm) and the insurance that they already carry.

I am willing to bet that the real issue is the Toll family, who own the land that the Eldora Nordic trails use, and are notoriously anti-bike. I would assume they have quite a bit of influence on the running of the alpine side (USFS land, mostly) as well.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by R steve
    Nothing against lift riding and bikes but this type of riding may be what scares the Eldora owners.
    Maybe just convincing them to allow riding without the lifts would be the first step??
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt
    I am willing to bet that the real issue is the Toll family, who own the land that the Eldora Nordic trails use, and are notoriously anti-bike. I would assume they have quite a bit of influence on the running of the alpine side (USFS land, mostly) as well.
    On that note, I had heard that old man Toll had passed on to greener pastures and the rest of the family is a bit more friendly. Total unfounded rumor but it's worth checking into.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Thread Terrorist
    Done.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Done. I love riding up there for the Eldora Xterra. I literally take the three days off work to pre ride and race when it is open. Great singletrack.
    Free Wheel Coffee...A Coffee of Free Will
    www.Freewheelcoffee.com

mtbr member
    I rode the race course with my wife a couple of years ago during a pre race ride. I love sit. I would love to ride that during the summer. I really don't care too much for a lift. We have Solvist and winter park for that.

Erik

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt

-Walt
    I don't know them personally, but I was told different. My understanding is they used to allow bikes, but then the motos started getting in there and tearing it up so they shut everything down and hired security for a while until people got the message... again, all word of mouth.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99
    I rode the race course with my wife a couple of years ago during a pre race ride. I love sit. I would love to ride that during the summer. I really don't care too much for a lift. We have Solvist and winter park for that.

Erik
    And competition is a bad thing, and who'd want to drive less far?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    And competition is a bad thing, and who'd want to drive less far?
    I just reread my post. It didn't come out like I meant. Of course I would like to have a downhill, but I rather see the cross country aspects open before any downhill. If I had to choose for either lift access or the nordic trails I would choose the nordic trails.

Erik

ride
    Most of the downhill stuff at Eldora is on USFS land so every so often, they need to redo their management plan for the forest. Since all of the nordic trails are on private property, it's unlikely that there will be any policy change on that land. Lobbying for bike access, both xc and dh on the rest of the mountain, though, could lead to a game changing scenario with regard to resort biking on in Colorado. I'm all for it.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I thinnk in order for them to develop a summer trail system, they'd have to be shown it would be worth the expense of going through the process (NEPA isn't cheap) of planning and building. If they could be shown that Keystone, Sol Vista, WP, etc are making real money off MTB trails that would be a place to start.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Does anyone who actually already uses eldora to ski want a 6pack lift put in? I voted no. How many people can be on that small mountain at once? Nordic areas were closed due to motos tearing up the land...can't really blame the landowners. Hopefully the local population will put up a fight about a 6 pack chair and it will go down in flames. Besides they are just humoring the bike community and trying to garner support for the 6pack by saying 'we'll consider it' as we have heard for years. Think of how many people are in support for this 6pack lift and are sending in responses solely for biking when it probably won't ever happen for this community, yet the lift will go in and change eldora from the great little resort it is today. Please consider the ramifications before you shoot off your comments because there is much more at stake than a possibility of biking at the mountain.

still riding
    well the plan is to have a lift that doesn't close the front of the mountain with every wisp of breeze. I all for that, unless i'm already on the back with 5 others, then by all means close the front.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    When the front mt is on wind hold it is for a valid reason -- hardly a wisp of a breeze. If that were the case it never would be open. Sometimes I'm shocked by the winds they are able to operate in. I have been there many days when it's gone to wind hold and having a lift that could operate during 75 mph wind just isn't too appealing.

shreds often
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GunMetalGirl
    sending in responses solely for biking when it probably won't ever happen for this community

Why not? Also, I don't care if they put in a tram, I'm pretty sure your Eldora pow stashes are safe, homegirl.
    vitalmtb.com

still riding
    actually the front closes for wind more than the back, hence the new lift would go to mid mountain with access to the back. Might even go thru some kind of tunnel.

not to menttion one of the two front lifts are down for mechanical fairly often.

still riding
    BTW, I'm a wavesailer so we don't count breezes til they doing about 30-40mph