mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Bikers and climbers at Spring Brook...uh, and flowers

Great day to be out on dirt. Cool, damp, all good. It was different being out where it wasn't dry as he!!. Low hanging clouds on the foothills.

Again, flowers that say "yeah, it's summer". This one and the next, don't know if they're related but it seems like they might have common ancestry.

If I'm going to see riders on Spring Brook, invariably I'll be approaching the trail and a rider will appear as you see:

Quick---where's the biker here?

Guy comes up from my left. He says "great picture!" I say "yeah and you're in it" He waves and says "awesome!"

The view he had as he rounded the corner:

The view he had as he rounded the next corner:

I'm adding this short video for the true flower lovers out there. Count me as one. Of course, I wasn't always, I just sort of grew into it over the years. Watch this botanical expert as he checks out a roadside at 14,000 feet in China "in Search of The First Flower", a PBS program I saw awhile back:

Last edited by xcguy; 07-03-2013 at 07:38 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    There are climbing areas at Spring Brook, none near the trails that get ridden. Rarely do I see anyone there but today there were three sessioning at just one of them. There are serious rope climbing areas (is that how it's described) up off of Goshawk but here it's get 6 feet off the ground and usually fall back down onto the mat below.

My guess is the moves these three were trying would tax anyone's skill and strength. Plenty of pinch grips and all done on a past-vertical route. Sorry if I'm mangling how to describe this but I was never a climber. I was probably strong enough when I was a carpenter but hate heights. These three just kept trying and trying. Even the tall guy could not make the crux move up to the upper hand hold. The girl just kept getting back up and giving it another go. One guy showed me his mangled hands after a half hour of me taking pics.

A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

lucky enough
    nice flatirons expanse shot and I really like the first climbing shot of just the hands.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak View Post
    nice flatirons expanse shot and I really like the first climbing shot of just the hands.
    Thanks. The picture taking today was stupendous. When I saw the climbers that's what I told them: just hands. After I realized they were cool with a camera around I did the other stuff you see.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Nice pics, where is spring brook

The 5th knuckle
    Good stuff. Keep it coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

lucky enough
    Quote Originally Posted by richccc View Post
    Nice pics, where is spring brook
    South end of Boulder furthest bike trail to the West - just South of Eldorado Springs.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    For some reason, I have never ridden Spring Brook in that direction.

mtbr member
    Fun pics. The conditions have been great lately.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    One guy showed me his mangled hands after a half hour of me taking pics.

Cool photos.

Them hands in the last pic ain't mangled; there's not even any blood... Google "climbing hands". Nice use of tight depth of field though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ajdonner View Post
    Cool photos.

Them hands in the last pic ain't mangled; there's not even any blood... Google "climbing hands". Nice use of tight depth of field though.
    He might have cleaned them off. What I saw was skin worn down through "the good stuff" on his fingertips. I used to have real thick calusses when I was a carpenter, now I have photographer hands! Here's what you're talking about (courtesy Flickr):

Bikers and climbers at Spring Brook...uh, and flowers-1-climbershands.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I added a video at the end of the first post I did on this thread. If you love flowers like I do, you gotta see it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    As usual some of the best quality pics on MTBR.