Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    The 5th knuckle

Bike to work day

I was getting all amped up for Wednesday and it's a week out from there. Anyone else plan on riding to work?

Anyone work in Golden / Lakewood and will be riding in?

Anyone going south to north?

Anyone going from Castle Rock to Golden?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Bike to work is good! Will be heading east to west.

banned
    the only day of the year i drive to work

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    That's what I was thinking... on BtWD the bike path seems to be really clogged up with people who haven't really figured out biking to work.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BaconBoyeeee View Post
    That's what I was thinking... on BtWD the bike path seems to be really clogged up with people who haven't really figured out anything due to only participating in rah-rah "events" to make them feel like they did something.
    FIFY, Baconsszzz

The 5th knuckle
    Hmmph. I'll do it anyway. Or maybe I don't want to be associated with all the noobs who think it's cool to only do it once a year.....

Nahhh. I'll just ride anyway and make sure I tell them all how lame they are.....

Wait.... maybe I can encourage them to do it more often and then drive to work with no traffic.

No. Not a good idea, not enough sleeveless jerseys out there.

I know! I'll do it anyway, encourage more people to do it and drop their Arse like a hot biscuit on strava.

Nope, no one really goes my way.

Dang it....... what should I do?

I know! Do it because it's what I want to do and it doesn't effect anyone else but me commuting for 6.5 hrs in one day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It's true that it may be a mess...but be polite to the new people and instruct them nicely if they seem to be lost. If they get defensive after you telling them they did something wrong/dangerous, then just move along...but if they accept the criticism, be nice about it.

But Yeah, I still chuckle at all the people that buy new bikes and kits to ride to work one day out of the year, but I do love to see more people out biking. Be nice, and hopefully, one day, bikers can at least have a good reputation amongst other bikers.

I'm very sincere about this....but I'm also stepping off the horse I wish I had....

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The 27th is bike to work day, but June is bike to work month as well.

mtbr member
    I ride from Lakewood to downtown Denver.
    On Bike to Work Day I do it for the free food and swag
    Even on the Platte River path I've never had any problem with too much bike traffic. It's actually pretty pleasant to see more people out on bikes.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    the only day of the year i drive to work
    Nah, you've got to make it a day off and take a tour of the aid stations. Only, don't take the path, ride the roads and get pockets full of goods. I usually get a years worth of snack bars and free water bottles. Plus the hilarity of watching the Cat. 6 competition at its finest is totally worth it.

Living the High Life
    Funny with bike to work, it resembles my normal commute as I live in Denver and head out to 470. Silly suburbanites.

Bad Andy!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    I was getting all amped up for Wednesday and it's a week out from there. Anyone else plan on riding to work?

Anyone work in Golden / Lakewood and will be riding in?

Anyone going south to north?

Anyone going from Castle Rock to Golden?
    Will be riding Golden to NW Denver.

old skool newbie
    Bike to Work to is awesome. It makes me feel so good about my skill level (or lack there of) when I get to pass everyone on the way in. Its the perfect day to get out the chopper bike and spin like mad. The bike path has traffic issues and it helps to control speed. Perhaps this year I will ride this bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike to work day-lilbike2.jpg  

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANTkiller View Post
    Will be riding Golden to NW Denver.
    I'll pass the baton at Santiago's

Addicted to Dirt
    Lakewood to downtown, I'll be stuffing my face at all the "aid" stations and yelling STRAVA! the entire commute.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'll be sure to ride around my house once.And I'll setup my own aid station, with some single malt goodness.

Bad Andy!
    I'll pass the baton at Santiago's
    This confuses me (don't be too proud - it's easy to do).
    I do not see a Santiago's on the Breakfast Station list.
    Does this mean you will be buying a burrito at the Golden Santiago's? - Even with all the free stuff elsewhere?
    If so, and the timing matches (which I doubt) - your burrito will be on me, what with the impressive Castle Rock to Golden bike commute.
    Lemme know.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Plus the hilarity of watching the Cat. 6 competition at its finest is totally worth it.
    I might do it, but only for tha lulz.

mtbr member
    What route do you use from Castle Rock to... even 470. Do you ride 85? I only ask because I am starting a commute Car/bike mix from Conifer to Castle Rock

Thanks!

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    What route do you use from Castle Rock to... even 470. Do you ride 85? I only ask because I am starting a commute Car/bike mix from Conifer to Castle Rock
    Thanks!
    All depends on how motivated I am. In the morning(4am) traffic is non-existant I'll go up 85 to sedalia, frontage road to Louvirs, back on 85 to titan off ramp, cross over and go against traffic 1/4 mile to the highline canal. Take that about 3/4 to 1 mile up and go across the chatfield dam to the 470 trail all the way to Golden.

Sometimes if I'm eager on the way home and I leave an hour early, I go out the south end of chatfield though roxbough and hook up with CR 5 to swallowtail to ringtail to 67 east to 105 down to Wolfsenberger.

Addicted to Dirt
    All depends on how motivated I am. In the morning(4am) traffic is non-existant I'll go up 85 to sedalia, frontage road to Louvirs, back on 85 to titan off ramp, cross over and go against traffic 1/4 mile to the highline canal. Take that about 3/4 to 1 mile up and go across the chatfield dam to the 470 trail all the way to Golden.

Sometimes if I'm eager on the way home and I leave an hour early, I go out the south end of chatfield though roxbough and hook up with CR 5 to swallowtail to ringtail to 67 east to 105 down to Wolfsenberger.
    Respect. Please tell me this is not a daily commute...

mtbr member
    I know! Do it because it's what I want to do and it doesn't effect anyone else but me commuting for 6.5 hrs in one day.
    It's the one day of the year I miss not working up in Longmont anymore, was more like 5.5 hours (80ish miles) round trip from Golden, had good weather both years I did it.

Say Hi! when we pass on Rooney Road as I now head from Golden to 285/Sante Fe.

As for all this bike path stuff, it's been a circus on the Bear Creek path every time I've riden in this summer, don't need Bike to Work to bring out the non attentive head phone wearing weaving all over the path Strava kings and queens.

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by ingluis View Post
    Respect. Please tell me this is not a daily commute...
    Nope - just once a week is all I can handle.

The 5th knuckle

Pre-ride stoke

Figured since I was all amped up with no where to go, ride. I left at 4:35 (over slept) so it was still pretty dark. I picked up an amoeba light and this thing ROCKS! When I would come up to speed limit or merge signs I would have to duck my head so the reflection off the signs wouldn't blind me. Crappy crappy droid camera doesn't do the light justice.

38.96 miles 2hr 46 min

Long dark Santa Fe Ahead
    Bike to work day-com-1.jpg

Turn Left here
    Bike to work day-com-2.jpg

Chatfield dam
    Bike to work day-com-3.jpg

Back east at north end of dam
    Bike to work day-com-4.jpg

Cheering section
    Bike to work day-com-5.jpg

Over the hump