old skool newbie

Wink bike to work clarified

Its Bike to Work week, and Wednesday is Bike to work day

http://www.drcog.org/btwd2006

I love my bike and sometimes I find myself just looking at it longingly; lusting after the buzz it gives me. And I know this is the case for many riders, so I wanted to clarify something. I saw quite a few people with bikes on top of their cars this morning and thought they may be confused about how the idea is supposed to go. You are not supposed to bring your bike to work. You are supposed to RIDE IT to work.

I posted my Thoughts on Commuting in the passion forum a few months back. Not much has changed, my goal is to get to work as fast as possible without sweating too much. Today was a fast time, but its getting hotter.

How is your commute?

Rolling
    It's kinda funny how that is. But I have to say, compared to last year, it appears that there are a lot more bikers commuting this year here in Boulder. Maybe it's the high gas prices, but they are out there and I think it's a great thing, despite bike week.

I am sick, but I still I forced myself to ride in today. It actually made me feel better. The question is whether I should be at work!

Trail Sanitizer
    I started commuting on the South Platte River trail late last summer. It's hard to tell if there are more rabbits or not since I have little to compare it to. If I had to guess I would say that there are more out there. I call the other riders rabbits since they give me something to chase. There is this one guy that has this really bad habit of passing me on the way home in a full Adventure Cycling team kit. He doesn't like to talk to me or have me hold his wheel. Real friendly guy.

So far this year it's been great. I commute 3-4 times a week. Only one flat so far. I am looking forward to a free breakfast on Wednesday.

old skool newbie
    mmmm, free breakfast and free schwag, but you gotta get there early for the good stuff
    there are all kinds of bikes at Civic center, its simple fun

that ride down the Platte is nice except you don't want to smile too much, those bugs are thick as schnit

Oh great! Now all the bike paths and and road shoulders will be jammed with like-minded people on there way to work - joy, joy!

Kidding of course. I don't commute with the bike enough but I do occasionally. I am one of those "bike on roof" people. I am an offender!! Actually I drive halfway and bike halfway, selfishly I live in Evergreen work in Boulder. I also work at home frequently.

Ride on -

Ed E

mtbr member

Hope knobbies off, slicks on

i'll be riding, er, commuting, wednesday... though i'm a tad hesitant since i work in boulder and live in golden. it's not the 20 miles, but rather the dreaded highway 93.

doesn't help to see on the news tonight that a cyclist was killed on the diagonal highway in boulder today after being hit by a gravel truck... (thoughts go out to the family).

note to jeffco and boulder commissioners: how 'bout that rumored county connector trail, huh?!

for the non-commuters out driving weds: leave the cell phones at home and keep both hands on the wheel please... 'specially if you're driving up 93.

gracias.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

old skool newbie

spoiled dirt

Riding on the roads is just plain dangerous. I have heard of a few schools that have banned children from riding to school because of the safety issue. I'm lucky that my ride in is along a road with a bike lane, but that doesn't mean I haven't had a few close calls. Its no wonder that people do not commute by bike any more.
    Props to those of you who are challenging the drivers on 93.

And as for those who had brought their bikes to work on top of their cars, It was sort of like bringing your kids to work day, I was just entertaining my commuting brain with silly thoughts.
    Last edited by goldenboy; 06-27-2006 at 08:30 AM.

Trail Sanitizer
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy
    mmmm, free breakfast and free schwag, but you gotta get there early for the good stuff
    there are all kinds of bikes at Civic center, its simple fun

that ride down the Platte is nice except you don't want to smile too much, those bugs are thick as schnit
    How early is early??? I'm usually riding through there around 6am.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    for the non-commuters out driving weds: leave the cell phones at home and keep both hands on the wheel please... 'specially if you're driving up 93.

gracias.

I'll be weaving my way up 93 in my huge SUV, chatting with friends on the cell and enjoying a breakfast burrito. Hope to see you there!

Opps, forgot my coffee.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member

... and if we just ... L O L

Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    I'll be weaving my way up 93 in my huge SUV, chatting with friends on the cell and enjoying a breakfast burrito. Hope to see you there!
    ...i'll be sure to wear something bright to make for an easier target!
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Opps, forgot my coffee.
    Ooops I just spilled mine all over my lap! Excuse me while I swerve wildly with the cell phone still pressed hard against my ear, God knows I can't let go of that! I did stop shaving in the rearview, do I get points for that?

Not sure black humor helps after yesterday's tragedy on 63rd and 119 in Boulder.

Be safe out there - everyone.

Ed E

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ...i'll be sure to wear something bright to make for an easier target!
    Thanks! Sometimes I lose focus as I wipe green chile from my shirt!

Seriously, stay safe out there. That's a mean stretch, especially with the construction.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    Not sure black humor helps after yesterday's tragedy on 63rd and 119 in Boulder.
    Although I hear ya, sometimes if you can't laugh you'd cry, eh?
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Although I hear ya, sometimes if you can't laugh you'd cry, eh?
    Yup...

mtbr member

why does CO Springs hold bike week earlier???

The springs held bike week like two weeks ago (or one week I can't remember a week of stuff has happened since then). I know that we are a world away from Boulder but, damn, I thought we were a part of Colorado... Guess not. I am riding to work anyway.

Which way? Uphill.
    i'll be riding, er, commuting, wednesday... though i'm a tad hesitant since i work in boulder and live in golden. it's not the 20 miles, but rather the dreaded highway 93.
    A much better option than 93 would be to go down Indiana, just a little east of 93. Then when you "T" at 128 you turn left and either follow that to 93 for the final stretch into Boulder or you can turn on McCaslin and follow that to South Boulder Rd to cruise on into Boulder. Traffic on Indiana should be much better and there is basically zero shoulder on 93 by Rocky Flats.

I heard that Noodles and Company is giving away free lunch vouchers during the morning, I wonder if they'll be handing them out when I pass by at 5:45 am? I look forward to see how much more crowded the trails/road will be tomorrow, today was the least crowded I've seen in weeks, odd.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by minor swing
    The springs held bike week like two weeks ago (or one week I can't remember a week of stuff has happened since then). I know that we are a world away from Boulder but, damn, I thought we were a part of Colorado... Guess not. I am riding to work anyway.
    National Bike to work week/day was sometime in May. I thought all of Colorado had gone to the same schedule in June for this, because of the better weather. Oh well, Colorado Springs and Boulder really don't agree on many fronts anyways.
    A friend of mine once said "If Colorado Springs and Boulder agree on something it should be made federal law." Of course he was referring to the smoking in public places ban then, Denver goes online with this soon, it's only a matter of time before it's nationwide.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

Outcast
    Bike to work day yields a high accident rate. All of a sudden, Joe Blow who never commutes to work on a bike is sharing the same path as you and hundreds of others. He's not savy in regards to dealing with the presence of others on the path, he's not aware of the situation around him. Th E.R. horspitals get a lot of traffic on this day.
    In 1993, I had a job in central boulder that I commuted to on bike at least three days a week, all year round. I would call myself a savy an knowledgeable bike commuter. Leaving work that day, I had what should have been a minor accident, but the result was a broken femur. As I waited in the hospital for a surgeon to free up, I kept hearing from the staff how full of bike to work accident patients they were that day. I waited three hours while they fixed some guys broken pelvis before they could get me in.
    Anyway, I stay FAR away from bike to work day. It's like friday the 13th for me. I'm gonna stay nice and safe in my big, gass guzzling SUV that day.

The most embarrasing part was being counted by the hospital staff as one of the once a year rookies who get hurt on this day.

old skool newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer
    How early is early??? I'm usually riding through there around 6am.
    I think that is early enough. I'm just waking up at that time.
    In years' past they were giving away free helmets to the early arrivals ( I was never one of them) so you may be right on time for some extra cool schwag. I try to allow an extra 20 minutes so I can oggle all the different bikes while I am woofing down the free sports drinks and 'health' bars.