Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Bike type for CO terrain

Hey, I moved out to Denver in Jan and am finally ready to ride some single track. Only problem is I need a bike. I was wondering if a hardtail is out of the question for the terrain here due to rockiness? I am new to mountain biking and want to make the right choice for the majority of the terrain here. Thanks for any helpful​ input.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Hardtail out of the question? Absolutely not. Many of us rode everything available on rigid bikes back in the day. Hardtail will be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Hardtail out of the question? Absolutely not. Many of us rode everything available on rigid bikes back in the day. Hardtail will be fine.

Must spread rep(!)...1st reply shoots "helpful" to sh!+

Edit: happy Monday!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Soulforce Cycling

Bike type for CO terrain

There are many days I wish I still had a good hard tail bike. Lots of fun.

There just might be some days you have to ride a little lighter in the saddle or choose a different strategy for hitting an obstacle. Not that there aren't tons of riders who can do everything there is to do on a hard tail bike, there are for sure.
    Soulforce Cycling | Riding apparel from size Small to 5XL. Visit us at - http://www.soulforcecycling.com

mtbr member
    I hear riding a hardtail 29er is just like riding a 26er with suspension
    It all depends on your tire choice...
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I think most of the trails here are more fun on a FS bike. I have a HT 29er, and haven't ridden it since 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    I'd say the type of terrain is less important than the type of rider. As this thread demonstrates, ask five people this question and you're likely to get five different perfectly valid answers.

I'd recommend renting, demoing, or borrowing a couple of different styles of bikes and see which feels best to YOU. A full suspension 26'er isn't a bad place to start, especially if you're new to mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Need 2 bikes, of course!! I have a SC Nomad Carbon, 6"&6", 32lbs, plus a 2013 Specy Stumpy hardtail 29er, love them both. I do forget sometimes while riding the Stumpy that I can't hit sections at speed like the Nomad, dented rims & flat tires are the outcome If I had to have one bike? Probably a light-ish 5" travel rig would do it

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    New Turner Burner. 650b. Read all about it:

Burner as a all-rounder?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Now older but less slow!
    I have a Tallboy LTc and love it but if I were to buy now, I would seriously take a look at the Turner Flux. I've realized that around here I spend most of my cycling (80+% of my time) cycling uphill. A bike that is tuned for going uphill but can also take on the downs would be my priority next time.

Of course I spend so little time descending because the Tallboy LTc is such an demon descender Perhaps there is something to be said for a bike that is not such a downhill warrior. You'll ride slower and so get to enjoy the downs for longer

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You can do anything you want on a HT. With a good fork and 2.2 - 2.4 tires a HT can be almost as comfortable as a FS bike and a lot less expensive. There's something to be said for the simplicity of a HT.

That said, unless you are a shuttle monkey you will spend a lot of time climbing so my personal choice is a bike that climbs well whether a HT or FS which these days are called I believe "XC" or "trail" bikes. That doesn't have to be a full on XC race bike, although XC race bikes can be a lot of fun, but personally I wouldn't want a bike that is a pig of a climber when I spend 80% of my time climbing just so I can run over everything on the DH rather than use a little finesse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    Perhaps there is something to be said for a bike that is not such a downhill warrior. You'll ride slower and so get to enjoy the downs for longer
    You have CTD on both ends of the bike...try 'C' and lemme how the kidneys feel coming down Apex
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well thanks for the help guys. Decisions decisions. My main problem is trying to figure out whether to get a nicer HT or a less nice FS. As posted in the beginner section, I looked at a 2012 Superfly AL Elite HT, but for the same money I could get a FS Specialized Camber 29. Obviously I need to check out other options as well.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcfly88MPH View Post
    ...but for the same money I could get a FS Specialized Camber 29. Obviously I need to check out other options as well.
    Definitely check out other options. There are a lot of Specialized haters out there (due to their business practices) and I haven't ridden it, but what I have read about the bike the Camber 29 could be a good bike to have around here.

mtbr member
    You could also look in the used market.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    Definitely check out other options. There are a lot of Specialized haters out there (due to their business practices) and I haven't ridden it, but what I have read about the bike the Camber 29 could be a good bike to have around here.
    I am not a hater, I think the big red S does do some Microsoft-ish bullying within the industry, but they do good things too. They support their dealers, even as they force their dealers to quotas that can strain the dealer's ability to sell. But in terms of product, I support them. I think their mtb tires are currently the best available (my opinion). I think their road bikes are killer. I like the body geometry saddles and some of the other BG products. Their fit system is super good.

But I personally don't like their mountain bikes. First because they are universally too low in the BB height department. Second, I think the horst link/4-bar linkage/FSR system is flawed. It desperately needs platform, which is one of the reasons the so-called brain is almost a requirement for anybody who wants to be able to climb faster than an inchworm on an FSR bike. Third, their tendancy to put proprietary stuff in place, can't be replaced by aftermarket stuff (like the Fox Triad [junk] shock on my 2010 Stump Comp).

That said, if you like one of their bikes, they tend to be a decent value. Lots of that is because they are big and wind up getting good pricing on their OEM components.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

650b me
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad View Post
    If I had to have one bike? Probably a light-ish 5" travel rig would do it
    +1

A bike like this will rarely be overkill, should climb well (important), and suffice for all but the gnarliest of trails.

mtbr member
    I’ve come to the realization that I need both and I’m actively researching/pursuing a FS now (waiting for the right deal on the right Yeti to pop-up). That said; I ride a hard-tail, steel-frame, old school race geo, and I continue to run XC oriented (light) rims & tires excluding early/late season where I run fatter, slower rubber. No question I have to finesse the bike a lot more, I have to pay attention when choosing my lines (e.g. in rock-gardens) and I don’t intentionally take big drops but at the end of the day, I truly dig ridin’ my current HT on any trail here.

My home trail on the front-range is up Waterton Canyon to the Colorado Trail and the Indian Creek loop, I hit those trails a lot, and I find very few sections there that are “too technical” or a burden for my HT or my skill-level (and I’m old, over the hill and have beat my body to death over the decades). Climbs here are a pleasure on this setup, descents require more focus of course, and just loggin’ heavy miles on the flats are a pleasure (fitness rides) on a fast HT. I also hit Buffalo Creek and other areas as much as my schedule allows and that’s where I feel under-gunned at times. So…screw it…I’m going to add a FS to the stable and have the best of both worlds (I will also continue to piss away my retirement portfolio funding my tire habit regardless of what bike(s) I have ).

Bottom-line though, if I were coming in with a fresh start and/or only could have one bike in CO, I’d go FS and bias towards a moderate all-mountain rig or a beefy trail setup, probably the latter for my needs/style.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    I am not a hater, I think the big red S does do some Microsoft-ish bullying within the industry, but they do good things too. They support their dealers, even as they force their dealers to quotas that can strain the dealer's ability to sell. But in terms of product, I support them.
    I have a similar feeling about Burton in the snowboard industry. Their high end gear, while overpriced at retail, is great stuff if you find it on sale. But their marketing and steeze/sick bra/dude bro sh!t makes me face palm.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It totally depends on who you ask, what they ride, and what type of riding they enjoy.

Personally, I could not do a hard tail on most of CO trails. But then again I live for the dh, and love to push it. I also grew up on a full sus, so I am more then used to the squish. I had a niner ht for race duty, and it definitely has its place, however I find myself really enjoying my full sus.

I have a '12 fuel ex 9.8 (carbon) setup as more of a AM rig. I really enjoy this bike, up its as solid as a mountain goat and downhill it kills it. However I recently rode the SB66-C setup with big boy suspension (F36 and DHX) and had a blast on that bike! Not as efficient uphill, however I am not going racing or anything, but going down was so much fun!

mtbr member
    Like Skared said much earlier, a lot of us rode all these trails on rigid steel (RIP Schwinn ClearCreek). I moved on to HTs and now enjoy 5" front and rear. To be honest, I really enjoy my Yeti 5, not any quicker, just have more fun riding it. I remember my wife asking when I got it, 'are you a better biker?" no, I'm just lazier about my lines now.

mtbr member
    I cut my teeth on bmx, rigid and HT 26er's. Since then I switched to FS. I went back to a 29er HT for last season... Decided I didn't like running a HT on the Front Range.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I decided on a khs sixfifty 2500. The 650b felt perfect for my height. Ill have it next week. Cant wait to hit the trails.

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Buying a bike is like joining a gang. You will immediately identify with others who made a similar purchase and learn to detest all those that didn't.
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Welcome to Colorado - it is a wonderful place to ride.

Here is my personal opinion on riding here, and in general.

Hardtails bikes are fun and generally low maintenance. In addition, they are great tools to learn on. Where a full suspension bike will be forgiving (in some situations) when mistakes are made, a hard tail will not.

Full suspension bikes are fun, but a bit higher maintenance. They can (geometry pending) give you fantastic seated traction when going uphills and there are few things as fun as hitting rock garden at high speed and not shaking one's fillings loose.

It really comes down to you. What part of riding do you enjoy, or think you will enjoy? Are you more inclined to go search out buffed single track for hours (like the Colorado trail) or do you search out rock ledges to jump off of?

Randall

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast