Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Bike swap meet update

How does Saturday, May 15 sound? I went to Pedal Pushers to run the idea by Jason and Eric and they were enthusiastic as heck about it. They have a huge parking lot all to themselves (room for maybe 50 vehicles). There's a burrito shop close by and a coffee shop right next door. Both will be notified and have participated in PP get togethers before.

Tentative hours are 10am to 5pm. All this is up for discussion, dates and times are moveable but we have to start somewhere, right?

Pics: the shop is at 2401 Ford Street, Golden. You can Google your own directions as everyone's gonna be coming from different areas of town. The official "greeter couch" is right by the front door, "manned" by an assortment of friendly dogs.

The Bomber Girls said they'd try to attend, but might have a prior commitment in Switzerland. One doggie will bring all manner of bike parts he finds over and drop it at your feet, hoping for a game of fetch. The third doggie always seemed to be asleep.

The beer bin is evidence it's not all work and no play for the owners, but this event is non-alcoholic, at least on an official level. Comments?
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Now that sounds impromptu!

...wondering if I have any buddies w/ a grill I can borrow...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It's come to my attention the 15th is the weekend of the Mountain States Cup Race. We only picked May 15 out of thin air. We could move it to May 22, no problem. In fact, it's not a "we" it's when all you think it'd be a good Saturday to do this. The next weekend after May 22 is Memorial Day weekend.

I'm gonna spend the time between now and the swap checking current "market" prices on ebay and mtbr.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    I'd be in for hanging out at that shop I owe them big time from when my wheel came off the car on HWY 6.. DO'H

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    05/22 and 05/23 is a COMBA trail build weekend at Buff Creek, if that affects your plans.

mtbr member
    xcguy - thanks for trying to get this organized. I'll likely participate if we can decide on a date.

It is not likely that we'll come up with a date that has no conflict with previously scheduled events...

Maybe this would be easier???

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well, it's true, there's always going to be something somewhere that will conflict with any weekend we choose. I say we just go ahead and do it May 15. We can always have another one in June, or monthly, why not?

Kid In The Helmet
    dang - I will be out of town...maybe next time I guess. good luck with the swap meet guys.
    Ride Hard & Don't Get Dead!

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Well, it's true, there's always going to be something somewhere that will conflict with any weekend we choose. I say we just go ahead and do it May 15. We can always have another one in June, or monthly, why not?
    Probably a better choice to swap over a race weekend than a trail build weekend, for sure!

Hopefully it goes well enough for you guys that I can make "the next one", good luck!
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

ARC Driver
    I am totally down for the 15. Will be there with parts AND cash. Oh and burritos - I'll be getting some of those too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Maybe COMBA could have a table set up there recruiting trail builders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'll be there with plenty of parts.

26er and 29er frames, brakes (disc and rim), rotors, wheel sets/hubs (disc and rim), bars, stems, cranks, chainrings, cogs, casettes, seat posts, seats, headsets, etc, etc...

All stuff from lower to very high end.

Hoping if you guys know generally what's going to be there, It'll attract you guys to come out to take a look.

-Nick

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Holy crap, gearwhine, your list reads like mine (only I got no 29er stuff). However, I am bringing two things that I KNOW you aren't bringing

mtbr member
    This is an awesome idea- just stumbled across it but have some friends who are looking for some parts/ bikes and will definitely let them know the plans. Is it official? 5/15 from 10-5?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Holy crap, gearwhine, your list reads like mine (only I got no 29er stuff). However, I am bringing two things that I KNOW you aren't bringing
    I'll be brining a dog with rabies to ward off the low-ballers and annoying hagglers. Is that one of your 2 things? ...joke...he's getting his new shots today.

yeah...don't ask why I have all this stuff...I just know I have too much.

I do plan on having a ton of stuff, but that does depend on what I can figure out this coming week...waiting on a new frame and need to fit myself on it first with all my lying around parts. Once that bike is set up, pretty much all my extra stuff is outta here. I do wish this was planned a little further out, but I will still have plenty of stuff to bring out either way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead
    This is an awesome idea- just stumbled across it but have some friends who are looking for some parts/ bikes and will definitely let them know the plans. Is it official? 5/15 from 10-5?
    Yup, May 15. Of course, I'm gonna keep checking with Pedal Pushers to make sure but tell all your friends. It'd be great to have a large crowd for our first one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine
    I'll be bringing a dog with rabies to ward off the low-ballers and annoying hagglers. Is that one of your 2 things? ...joke...he's getting his new shots today.

yeah...don't ask why I have all this stuff...I just know I have too much.

I do plan on having a ton of stuff, but that does depend on what I can figure out this coming week...waiting on a new frame and need to fit myself on it first with all my lying around parts. Once that bike is set up, pretty much all my extra stuff is outta here. I do wish this was planned a little further out, but I will still have plenty of stuff to bring out either way.
    I had some time today to pour all my stuff out onto the living room floor, sort, price (checking ebay and online retailers), make a nice list. It's appalling how much stuff I have in duplicate and triplicate. And I'm not even gonna bring it all to the first swap. And once I sell ALL of this stuff I'll still have three bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Bumping this back to the top to keep it in everyone's minds. Eric used to work at PUSH...I knew that sleeping doggie looked familiar.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Light freak
    Originally posted by xcguy
    Maybe COMBA could have a table set up there recruiting trail builders.
    How about selling some COMBA socks too! I thought I had heard they exist.

mtbr member

Craigs?

Yup, May 15. Of course, I'm gonna keep checking with Pedal Pushers to make sure but tell all your friends. It'd be great to have a large crowd for our first one.
    xcguy- you seem to be the brains (or at least the balls ) behind the swap. How about posting up on craigslist to bring in some more interest from outside the forum? I am happy to do the post, if you like, but any more specific information would be great. We have a date and hours- is PPC providing anything? Is the coffee shop? Should people bring tables to set up ish? Cash only, I assume? Anyone wanna list some specific items for sale? Hit me up and I'll list it in the ad...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    xcguy- you seem to be the brains (or at least the balls ) behind the swap. How about posting up on craigslist to bring in some more interest from outside the forum? I am happy to do the post, if you like, but any more specific information would be great. We have a date and hours- is PPC providing anything? Is the coffee shop? Should people bring tables to set up ish? Cash only, I assume? Anyone wanna list some specific items for sale? Hit me up and I'll list it in the ad...
    I've got all my stuff typed up on FIVE pages! Pedal Pushers is going to have a table set out in front. I'm just gonna drop the tailgate of my Element as my table. I am, however, keeping everything in the vehicle, I'm not gonna spread it all out. Peeps can check out my list and ask to see individual items. What with potential buyer feeding frenzy I want to keep track of where my stuff is at all times.

Cash only. I'm going to put a list of all nearby ATMs on my parts list. Craigslist is a good idea. It's hard for us to believe this but only a very small percentage of riders on the Front Range actually cruise mtbr, much less this forum, so we need to advertise in other ways than just here.

Somebody already said, on the other thread, that listing our stuff for sale before hand might just lead to a flood of pms. What the heck, the idea is to sell my stuff, but in keeping with the informal theme maybe they are right, let's just show up and see what happens. I can say that most my stuff is in very good, almost new condition so it's not like I'm gonna give it all away. Maybe there will be a specialty table set up with beater parts for next to nothing. Hey, let's cover all bases!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    [QUOTE=scar]How about selling some COMBA socks too! I thought I had heard they exist

I'll take a pair.

mtbr member
    Coolio- I posted the ad on CL and we'll see if that helps draw a bigger crowd. Do you know if PP's is advertising at the shop? Here's the CL ad:

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1731566076.html

Anyone can let me know if there's something I left out or should add/ change. See y'all Saturday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Coolio- I posted the ad on CL and we'll see if that helps draw a bigger crowd. Do you know if PP's is advertising at the shop? Here's the CL ad:

http://denver.craigslist.org/bik/1731566076.html

Anyone can let me know if there's something I left out or should add/ change. See y'all Saturday.
    Good job. A couple of comments: I like the enthusiasm of the ad, especially the "come to hang out" but I'd talk up the used parts that are probably gonna be the most prominently sold item. It's not just bikes being sold/swapped.

Your keywords/tsearch tags at the bottom, where'd you get that list? It might be true that Pedal Pushers has access to all of those items but I doubt the parking lot will be full of them. I know what you're trying to do there, but maybe a disclaimer about "not all items listed below will be there" or something like that, just to not be accused of false advertising.

Also, mentioning the food available is good. PP said they'd get hold of those food providers, just wanna make sure they are going to participate. I'll do that later this morning.

All in all, thanks for posting up that ad. Now I'm off to the gym.

mtbr member
    done

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast