Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Bike Shop Frustration

Advice appreciated. Anything I can do, beside wait and be frustrated?

I bought a bike from a (popular, reputable) Boulder bike shop four months ago. I paid $2000. Two days later I was back at the shop because after riding I realized the chain was 2+ links too long, also the brakes were rubbing. Wait a day. A week later I'm back again, this time so they can check into the horrific creak. Took them a couple days but they found it. Except on my next ride it was louder than ever. Another two days at the shop.

Repeat that patten a couple times - them fixing things that I don't think should be problems on a brand new bike. I asked them many times "I just bought this here, can you please check it over and dial it in." That never seemed to take - I had to discover this stuff on the trails.

Two weeks ago the rear hub went out. Fun walk to the parking lot. Shop took a week to get the part and have the bike ready.

Two days ago, after a ride, I notice there's a lot of play in a pivot in the rear suspension. I brought it by for what I hoped would be a quick tighten and learned they need a bearing for the pivot. They'll call the bike co. on Monday, wait on delivery, and I'm depressed again on a beautiful Saturday. They're unapologetic.

Am I just unlucky? Should the shop be taking better care of me? ie, are these week long waits usual? Should I ask for a loaner bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm not saying the things you mentioned didn't happen it's just that I've never heard of so many things happening to a "new" bike in such a short amount of time. Not to be patronizing, here, but are you sure what you perceive to be problems are indeed problems? A creak here a creak there, sheeit, my bike has a ton of creaks.

Hubs going out in two weeks? I've never had a hub go out, ever. Pivots needing replacing in two weeks? I've never had a pivot that needed replacing.

What I'm saying here is maybe your perception of what is "wrong" is wrong. I build houses and I've had non-mechanical type clients have some vague feeling about something and tell me to "fix it". When I ask what it is they want fixed they get flustered and blurt out "I don't know, just fix it". See what I'm saying?

Maybe the bike shop is as amazed as you at your run of "bad luck" or they may rue the day they sold you this bike because now they know you'll be back every few days with some new problem that "needs to be fixed". I'm just throwing this out to maybe help you see things in a different light. Heck, I could be wrong!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Fair enough. But I don't think that's the case. Believe me, there's no mistaking a busted rear hub - it went while I was pulling up a rock at White Ranch. Replaced by warranty. Same for the pivot bearing - certainly unrideable, and hopefully covered by warranty. The creaking was seriously horrific, and certainly not something anybody should put up with in a brand new bike (that was the first or second week I had it).

mtbr member
    Don't blame the bike shop. I know it's a new bike and all, but it's getting used and stuff happens. Is the shop giving you attitude every time you bring the bike in? Sounds like they're doing a pretty good on the customer service end, doing the little adjustments and warrantying the broken stuff. It's not they're fault the parts are junking out on you.

ride
    If you paid $2k, chances are your bike was preassembled, put in the box then shipped to the shop. A shop mechnic pulled it out of the box and slapped it together, probably in a timely enough fashion to get right on to the next bike. The brakes rubbed, but were "good enough." The chain was a couple of links to long because that's what the assembly factory did before they put it on the box. The brakes should've been perfect, but the chain thing isn't really that big of a deal.

The hub and the pivot bearing sound like they are more than likely excusible warranty claims. Those things just happen. Sucky that you got a double whammy on it, though. A creek 4 months down the road is par for the cours on a mountain bike, but the bike shouldn't be creaking after only a couple of rides. Creaks and brake rubs are something that shouldn't take more than a day or two tops regardless of how busy the shop is. That stuff is quick and easy to fix usually. When you need extra parts, though, the wait times are acceptable. No shop can stock every part for every bike. You're looking at a 3-4 day shipping time to get the part plus a day or two to get the fix done depending on how busy the shop is.

Sounds like you've had a bit of bad luck and some not over the top great service. I'd ask for a loaner bike, what the heck. It never hurts to ask. I wouldn't be upset if they say no, though. That would be an example of over the top great service, but wouldn't be expected.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by offtherack
    Advice appreciated. Anything I can do, beside wait and be frustrated?

Am I just unlucky? Should the shop be taking better care of me? ie, are these week long waits usual? Should I ask for a loaner bike?
    If your complaints are all legit then I say by all means you should ask for a loaner bike. I busted a wheel once and a local shop was building me a new wheel and there were some delays in shipping for the new hub so the shop owner let me borrow a wheel from him so I could get a ride in that week, if they have some rentals or demos laying around it shouldn't be that big of a deal to hook you up in my opinion. besides it can't hurt to ask
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

master blaster
    dont feel singled out your just having shitluck. it happens and its no fun. its the worst when you have to wait longer for a part then you expected and then it gets to you damaged or incorrect and you have to start over.
    bike builder that day must have been having a rough/hungover/too stoned...or all of the above day and overlooked a few things and thats upsetting but new bikes need to break in. are they charging you any labor for these visits?

mtbr member
    Should have gotten a hard tail.

mtbr member

No good Customer Service is Dead

The fact that you bought a bike from this shop and they "remain unapologetic" speaks volumes about the shop. Also, the fact that they are not preemptively offering you a loaner says alot as well. The shop is really out of line. That you are not naming which shop is dropping the ball shows some patience and class on your part but I think that it is time for you to explain to them that they owe you a loaner bike so you can get out and ride. Good luck with your conversation with the bike shop owner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdw0123
    The fact that you bought a bike from this shop and they "remain unapologetic" speaks volumes about the shop. Also, the fact that they are not preemptively offering you a loaner says alot as well. The shop is really out of line. That you are not naming which shop is dropping the ball shows some patience and class on your part but I think that it is time for you to explain to them that they owe you a loaner bike so you can get out and ride. Good luck with your conversation with the bike shop owner.
    If the problems are manufacturing defects i fall to see how the shop owes him any thing. When i worked for a shop we only gave out a loaner when we screwed something up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    If the problems are manufacturing defects i fall to see how the shop owes him any thing. When i worked for a shop we only gave out a loaner when we screwed something up.
    Really? No responsibility? My local shop offered me a loaner bike for a warranty issue and I didn't even buy the bike from them. That equates to me being a customer for life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    Really? No responsibility? My local shop offered me a loaner bike for a warranty issue and I didn't even buy the bike from them. That equates to me being a customer for life.

Good for you but don't expect that from every shop. My point is if the shop doesn't have demos to offer then what are that supposed to do pull a brand new bike off the rack and give it to you just because your bike is broken threw no fault of theirs? I think people just expect way too much from bike shops when they are just trying to make ends meet. Its also why i have more then one bike to ride. But i also never need any one to service my bikes.

mtbr member
    And that's exactly why shops are *****ing about people buying from the internet. If you aren't going to get anything "extra", why pay the extra money?

eci
    Moral of the story. if you want a good bike. pay the extra money.

If your gonna go cheap your gonna get cheap.

mtbr member
    Is 2 grand considered cheap?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Moral of the story. if you want a good bike. pay the extra money.

If your gonna go cheap your gonna get cheap.

No moral of the story is if you want it fixed right do it yourself.

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    Is 2 grand considered cheap?
    In this situation yes. 2 grand for some bikes is super expensive. 2 grand for others is a drop in the bucket. My fork and cranks retail for what he bought his bike for. In mtn biking you pay for what you get. plain and simple. The hub was prolly some off the shelf taiwanese that was never checked by a person. The bike was preassembled by ppl who dont care.

Plain and simple you get what you pay for!

mtbr member
    Maybe he should tell us what kind of bike it is.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep

for what its worth

It appears your riding a spec. I had a similar issue about 4 yrs ago on my 05? stumpjumper fsr rear hub went out relatively soon, and the bolt broke off inside the mounting tab. for the shock. I went back and forth with the shop and after they had it for a week they told me it couldn't be fixed. I was pretty upset after spending that kind of money. This was a week before a moab trip so they hooked me up with a free loaner. Actually on the way home the Specialized rep called me and said they were going to replace the frame after two of my friends had similar issues. Long story short they upgraded the frame, converted my 80mm fork to 100mm. complete bike build, new seat post, new front derailleur and i was only charged for some new cable housing. They did lose my computer but no big deal.

I had better luck going directly through the specialized rep but the shop also went above and beyond with all they did as well. I will mention it was wheat ridge cyclery. Too bad that bike hasn't been ridden but twice in the last three yrs.!

Good luck!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Kaj
    mtbr member
    A. If you're off you bike for a weekend on a $2k bike that you bought 4 months ago, you should get a loaner to go rip around on. It's Saturday in June, everyone should be riding

B. Stuff does break, and sometimes by coincidence on the same bike more than one thing goes wrong. But if you are having several things go wrong at once, let a manager know. They should go the extra mile. Like pulling a bearing off a instock bike to get you going. Most shops will do this, if you ask (some even if you don't)

Sorry to hear about your experience. $2k is a good bit of money, so I'm sure you got a fine bike, and will have a fun time ripping it up once you get through this.

In the meantime, grab a loaner and go find some singletrack. The trails are extra tacky right now.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    If you paid $2k, chances are your bike was preassembled, put in the box then shipped to the shop. A shop mechnic pulled it out of the box and slapped it together, probably in a timely enough fashion to get right on to the next bike. The brakes rubbed, but were "good enough." The chain was a couple of links to long because that's what the assembly factory did before they put it on the box. The brakes should've been perfect, but the chain thing isn't really that big of a deal.
    This was pretty much my assumption. I wish they would have spent another five minutes with it. Heck, take it around the block once. It would have saved me a few visits.

Of course I don't blame the shop for the hub, or now the pivot bearing (although they did report the creaking issue was finally solved in one of the pivots, so they had been in there). It just compounds my frustration after the initial carelessness, and they haven't been supportive. I wish they'd stand behind the merchandise they sold me a little more. It wouldn't take much. Heck, just lie to me - tell you me you called around and couldn't get the part quicker. Instead it's a one minute look and "we'll have to call the bike company monday, let me get your name and number".

They haven't charged me for any of the warranty service, and I wouldn't say they've cheated me at all.

They're fast food, I now realize. Wish I could go back and patronize a different bike shop.

mtbr member
    The shop did sell him the bike and should stand behind the quality of the product or represent a different brand. They sold a lemon. Even if they can not rectify the situation by loaning a bike, can't they at least apologize for the inconvenience? A big part of customer service is support after the sale. They will just lose repeat business without it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    It appears your riding a spec. I had a similar issue about 4 yrs ago on my 05? stumpjumper fsr rear hub went out relatively soon
    Yeah, the cheaper stumpjumper's have never been known for their great wheelsets, I see. I do love the way it rides. But having two part failures inside of four months might put me off Spec for a while (the rear hub is shimano). I went eight years on a 2000 stumpy hardtail, too. (Did replace the wheels early on.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    offtherack, what shop and what bike are you dealing with? If you're having this much trouble, that deserves to be advertised so at a minimum other riders can be aware of it during their decision making process.

Different angle here.....I have friend who is constantly running into problems with his bikes. He'll never admit it, however, it's clearly due to his lack of riding skills and his weight. He shifts way too late with the drive train under a ton of torque. He is not able to finesse through rough terrain. He crashes and just generally needs to improve his technique. You be the judge of if any of this applies, I'm not saying it does. Just an angle to consider. But I would definite let the mtbr community know what shop and bike you're dealing with.

Msurk

Oh, So Interesting!
    Warranty issues not included, I won't let anyone else work on my bike. It takes a fairly minimal investment in tools and isn't very difficult. When I buy a bike I hope to never bring it back to the shop. Learning to do maintnence and adjustments saves a lot of time and hassle. Some of the things people leave their bike in a shop for take 5 min. to fix or adjust.

That said, it sounds like you got a lemon and I'd ask for a loaner or credit toward a different bike. The shop has to be responsible for what they sell, it's what you're paying them for.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast