Goofing off?

Bike shipping case rental

So I am throwing around the idea of heading out to do the San Diego Century with my sister in early June. I need a bike shipping case.

Not worth it to buy one as I don't plan to take many bike trips in the future. Does anyone know a local vendor that rents them? Also, any info about additional freight charges when flying with a bike would be appreciated. I would be taking Southwest airlines.

Is there anyone that owns one that would be willing to rent it for a week? I can provide deposit.

Thanks!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Special Luggage

Looks like Southwest is pretty cool about bikes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Southwest is pretty decent about flying with bags. If you can fly Frontier, that is the best option I've found as bikes fly free when you buy a Classic or Classic Plus fare.

I flew a bike from CO to AZ a couple months back. I put the wheels in one box, then everything else in a cardboard frame box. Bought some pipe insulating foam and covered the frame and everything went well. I don't know of any place that rents cases, but the cardboard frame boxes did great for me.

My cup runneth over
    Green Mountain Sports has a couple of hard cases. I rented one from them a couple of weeks ago for a trip out to Sri Lanka. It was easy to fit everything into the case - pump, helmet shoes, pack etc. The dang thing weighed a ton when packed though. I can't speak to extra charges since this was a work trip (2.5 weeks) and I get to go business class on international trips - large baggage allowance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I rented my case from Green MTN Sports as well, and flew SouthWest to Reno/Tahoe. I believe it was $50 each way, nbut that was two years ago. Here are their new rules. Special Luggage

Goat Head
    I work at Criterium in Colorado Springs. We rent them for $50 per "event". I think we have two of them right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Intenserider2 View Post
    So I am throwing around the idea of heading out to do the San Diego Century with my sister in early June. I need a bike shipping case.

Not worth it to buy one as I don't plan to take many bike trips in the future. Does anyone know a local vendor that rents them? Also, any info about additional freight charges when flying with a bike would be appreciated. I would be taking Southwest airlines.

Is there anyone that owns one that would be willing to rent it for a week? I can provide deposit.

Thanks!
    I have an aluminum one that a guy built for me in Germany when I lived there and was bringing my bike back and forth to the US regularly. I'd let it go for the cost of two rentals. Its just sitting in my basement. PM if you want photos.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

insert sarcasm here
    Wheat Ridge Cyclery rents transport cases for $75/week. And Frontier treats bike boxes as standard luggage, $25 each way, sweet!!
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

Goofing off?
    Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just remember to keep the weight under 50 lbs.. Even though Frontier fly bikes for $25 bag fee, they will nail you for over 50 lbs.