Green Hornet

Bike repair help ASAP please

I own a G. Fisher caliber 29 FS mtn bike (and I really like it). I am off for the laramie enduro at 4:30 am tomorrow. i was just out cleaning up the bike and checking all of the bolts etc. I shered off one of the bolts that holds the front of the rear triangle piviot on the bike. this looks to be one of two bolts (one on each side) that act like a tightner for the bottom piviot. Bottom pivot looks like it will still work and almost like these were a just in case extra holder?

To fix it i'll need to tap in to the broken piece still in the bike and remove it then find a similar threaded bolt to re-insert.

Think I can ride 80 miles without it?

http://www.fisherbikes.com/archive/model/269 Look at the bolt just above the front chain ring on the bottom piviot, it faves the front of the bike.

-Chuck

Oh, So Interesting!
    Thats a pinch bolt, and yes it needs to be there. Not having it there will put extra stress on the other pinch bolt, and if that goes your ft and rear triangles will go their separate ways.

You'll need a drill, bolt extractor and a left handed drill bit. Should be about $5 at the hardware store, and will only take 5 min IF you do it right.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Green Hornet

That's a tough proposition

At 9:00 PM when i am supposed to head out at 4:30 am. I was hoping to get by without it? Hope it all stays together type of thing? It all looke pretty strong, but who knows with my fat ass on it?

Oh, So Interesting!
    Home Depot is open until 10

Rolling
    And if you don't want to lose sleep on this, missing the race is not the end of the world.

If the sheared part is only the head off the bolt and the stud still holds the swingarm in place, you might actually get away with it. But beware...it can work it's way out and any lateral flex will be felt.

What you need to ask yourself is, If if fails during the race, what are the consequences?

Green Hornet

Went to the Golden H.D.

bought a new bolt (actually4 of them) and bought a tap it thread puller. I succeeded is drilling the hole in to the old boalt and tapping the left thread puller in to the hole (all per instructions) then i started to turn it... I broke the tap it in the hole in the bolt in the bike. My guess is the bholt has some lock tight thread goop on it. It should ahve turned.

Riding on only one bolt makes me a bit nervous because if the other one brakes and the bike does fall apart i could be 5-10 miles from a aid station.

I am pretty mad about the whole thing.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugby Chuck
    bought a new bolt (actually4 of them) and bought a tap it thread puller. I succeeded is drilling the hole in to the old boalt and tapping the left thread puller in to the hole (all per instructions) then i started to turn it... I broke the tap it in the hole in the bolt in the bike. My guess is the bholt has some lock tight thread goop on it. It should ahve turned.

Riding on only one bolt makes me a bit nervous because if the other one brakes and the bike does fall apart i could be 5-10 miles from a aid station.

I am pretty mad about the whole thing.
    If it's in there that good, you can probably ride on it. The bad news is the puller is probably too difficult to drill through by hand, best to bring it to a machine shop or use a carbide bit and a drill press.