mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Bike Recommendation

I know this should probably go in another forum that deals with bike suggestions, but since I live in Denver, I thought I would ask people who ride the same trails as I do. I ride all the front range trails, Apex, Dakota Ridge, etc. and am looking for a bike that can handle all the climbing and also all the desending. I was thinking something along the lines of an XC or AM bike, but am open to suggestions. I was hoping to not spend much more than $1200 - $1500. Thanks in advance for the help.

Living the High Life
    Giant Reign. 6" travel, climbs great, descends great. Its one of the best AM bikes out there. Giant makes great bikes that don't cost $5k.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Giant Reign. 6" travel, climbs great, descends great. Its one of the best AM bikes out there. Giant makes great bikes that don't cost $5k.
    I'll second that. You can also look around on craigslist or other classifieds and find a used Santa Cruz in that price range.

Whatever you do, look for something around 4 to 5 inches of travel if you want cush.

cheeseburger in paradise
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    I'll third that. The Reign would probably give you the most bang for your buck, and it's a well designed bike so you can climb efficiently. If 6" of travel is too much, the 4" travel Trance is another option.

If you don't mind a used bike, try what IE said and hit Craigslist or Ebay. Always some good deals to be had.
    singlecrack

beer is too easy to drink
    Sep 2007
    another vote for the reign! i have a reignx and it has been the most fun bike i have ever had. if you are tall they have a new 05 reign at westside super cheap.
    six pack cooler coming soon!

lucky enough

29er

To anyone thinking of buying a new bike I would urge them to consider a 29er. After 20 years of riding, switching to one has made me a better rider - uphill and down. You might try the 29er forum for suggestions on a low cost model.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Oh, So Interesting!
    I agree... I don't own a 29er yet, but try one, especially if you're a taller guy that usually rides L or XL frames. You could pick up a 29er hardtail with a Reba brand new for your budget, and they don't ride AT ALL like a 26" hardtail.

Otherwise, Reign is a very good recommendation. Giant frames are a great value, and performance is top notch. The new Trance X looks like a contender, but they are new for '08. I'd still go to the LBS and check it out...

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the help everyone. I have actually been looking at the Trance, but I will definitely consider the Reign.

Thunder Chunky
    Check out Ibex...super sweet bikes. Their quality is also 2nd to none and some of their frames are made by the same company as Azonic has its frames made by. Also thie r customer survice is unmatched. Recently there was a post in the Ibex forum where an owner of an Ibex had broken her wrist earlier in the year and is having a party for getting he cast off being able to ride again. The owner (Jack) living across the country offered to buy accouple of cases of beer for their party...where else do you find that kind of loyalty to the customer? Also if you call them the owner will pick up and talk to you personally. No where else can you find this kind of service. Anyways check out the Ibex forum and reviews...you wont find a single complaint.

www.ibexbikes.com

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak
    To anyone thinking of buying a new bike I would urge them to consider a 29er. After 20 years of riding, switching to one has made me a better rider - uphill and down.
    YES! Give the Niner RIP9 a try. The RIP9 is said to ride very similar to the Trance/Reign yet has 29" wheels. The 4.5" rip9 rides like a much bigger bike but is very efficient climber. Big Kahuna Bicycles (ask for Chris) in Littleton and Golden Bike Shop (ask for Adam or Ian) have demo's you can ride.

If you are close to Fort Collins you can ride my L RIP9 demo bike.

Give it a try, the reviews don't lie. These guys below rode them against other very popular 6" travel 26er bikes at the Interbike dirt demo.

2007 Interbike Dirt Demo

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...96126#poststop
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator