Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    FWIW- I moved to Golden about 5+ years ago. I had a hard tail 26er that I loved and started riding some of the more mellow trails around and getting more confident. Moved to a FS 26er and chose the Epic because it felt more like a HT. I got more and more confident, more and more fit (though I'm still not very fit ), and faster on the descents. Then got an Epic 29er comp. I can't believe what this bike can do. Sure, it's a "race" bike, but I have it set up very "trail" and beat the daylights out of it. Having said that, I am now looking at a bigger travel bike (Stumpy FSR 29 or the like). Big bikes have gotten more and more efficient, and big wheels have gotten stronger and lighter and the geometry better and better. I demo'd a Stumpy 29er and with the shock and fork locked out, it climbed as well as my Epic, but was way smoother on the downhills. Buddy of mine just picked up the TB LTc and it's amazing to watch how much it's improved how he rides some of the terrain. Climbs great, and seriously floats over everything downhill.

I'm not sure what my point is- I bought my bikes used, typically, or for a screaming deal, but in 5 years, I've gone through several bikes. Some of this is that I'm a junkie, but some of it is that I've just gotten better, and need (want) more from my bikes as my skills/ confidence increases.

I would second (50th) many sentiments here- get to Colorado first- demo some bikes, buy something (or two somethings) used with the cash you have and be comfortable with the idea that you might sell it and buy something else within a year- you can often do this for hardly any loss in cash and what you lose you can consider a long-term demo fee .

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    FWIW- I moved to Golden about 5+ years ago. I had a hard tail 26er that I loved and started riding some of the more mellow trails around and getting more confident. Moved to a FS 26er and chose the Epic because it felt more like a HT. I got more and more confident, more and more fit (though I'm still not very fit ), and faster on the descents. Then got an Epic 29er comp. I can't believe what this bike can do. Sure, it's a "race" bike, but I have it set up very "trail" and beat the daylights out of it. Having said that, I am now looking at a bigger travel bike (Stumpy FSR 29 or the like). Big bikes have gotten more and more efficient, and big wheels have gotten stronger and lighter and the geometry better and better. I demo'd a Stumpy 29er and with the shock and fork locked out, it climbed as well as my Epic, but was way smoother on the downhills. Buddy of mine just picked up the TB LTc and it's amazing to watch how much it's improved how he rides some of the terrain. Climbs great, and seriously floats over everything downhill.

I'm not sure what my point is- I bought my bikes used, typically, or for a screaming deal, but in 5 years, I've gone through several bikes. Some of this is that I'm a junkie, but some of it is that I've just gotten better, and need (want) more from my bikes as my skills/ confidence increases.

I would second (50th) many sentiments here- get to Colorado first- demo some bikes, buy something (or two somethings) used with the cash you have and be comfortable with the idea that you might sell it and buy something else within a year- you can often do this for hardly any loss in cash and what you lose you can consider a long-term demo fee .
    Good stuff. I think at the moment my plan is to buy something here, rip through the winter - surprisingly SA has good in town riding through our greenbelts as well as a big place not far from my house called government canyon (15-25 mile backcountry trails all rocky and technical) and then bring it to CO in the spring and if I find I want to upgrade or get a second bike I can sell and buy something else or keep and buy something else. I upgraded my road bikes every two seasons so I'm used to buying and selling. But I like your guys advice on the bike types, pretty solid recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    Buddy of mine just picked up the TB LTc and it's amazing to watch how much it's improved how he rides some of the terrain. Climbs great, and seriously floats over everything downhill.

Of course I'm biased.... TBLTc in its natural terrain..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike opinions. CO front range-chunky-rocks-tbltc-me1.jpg  

Bike opinions. CO front range-chunky-rocks-tbltc-me2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    After a lot of reading I'm intrigued by the Yeti SB 95! Like the idea of the switch suspension! Like that they are HQ'd in Golden.

Demoed a Camber comp 29er yesterday. Pretty sweet ride. There's a Yeti dealer in Austin, gotta get up there soon and put my hands on the yeti!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Digging up this thread because it seems better than starting a new one.

Are there many Niner riders on the front range? I'd like an opinion on Rip vs. Jet. Also what do your builds look like?

Climbs = necessary evil
    Lots of both here. I demoed both twice this fall and ended up with the RIP9 - preferred the extra travel to the lighter weight, but I'm a Clyde (225 lbs w/o gear).

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd122 View Post
    Digging up this thread because it seems better than starting a new one.

Are there many Niner riders on the front range? I'd like an opinion on Rip vs. Jet. Also what do your builds look like?
    Niner Bikes headquarters is up in Fort Collins, we have demo bikes...Full Cycle in FtC does as do Golden Bike Shop in Golden, University Bikes Boulder and Big Kahuna in Littleton. Personally the RIP9 is a lot of bike for me but I rode one for many years before going the carbon fiber Jet9 rdo route. The jet9 rdo can be xc or trail by tire and fork choice (100 or 120mm). Note I prefer fast xc style and typically go as hard as I can for 3-4 hours riding from my house..so that is more of my riding style. Ride both if you can!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike opinions. CO front range-20121230_101605.jpg  

Bike opinions. CO front range-jet9-rdo-3-dec2011.jpg  

Bike opinions. CO front range-jet9-rdo-reynolds.jpg  

Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    Niner Bikes headquarters is up in Fort Collins, we have demo bikes...Full Cycle in FtC does as do Golden Bike Shop in Golden, University Bikes Boulder and Big Kahuna in Littleton. Personally the RIP9 is a lot of bike for me but I rode one for many years before going the carbon fiber Jet9 rdo route. The jet9 rdo can be xc or trail by tire and fork choice (100 or 120mm). Note I prefer fast xc style and typically go as hard as I can for 3-4 hours riding from my house..so that is more of my riding style. Ride both if you can!
    What do you think of the new RIP9 RDO vs. the Jet9 RDO for front range riding? Unfortunately I won't be able to test ride either of them before making a decision. I took out a Jet9 aluminum and liked the ride, though I thought the handeling was a bit more twitchy than I would have preferred. The Jet9 RDO with a 120mm fork is more slack than the aluminum model and obviously the RIP is even more especially with a 140mm fork.

Trips for Kids Denver
    I had an Epic Marathon 29 for about 8 months. I raced the Bailey Hundo on it and finished forty minutes faster than the year before on an Ellsworth Truth. That was all well and good but after the race I tried to set it up as a trail bike but on serious Continental Divide chunk I was hanging on for survival along with feeling like I was going to break it in half.

Now, I have a Superfly 100 for a few races a year and a Rumblefish with a 140mm fork and some big 2.4 Purgatories for the trails/all mntn.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd122 View Post
    What do you think of the new RIP9 RDO vs. the Jet9 RDO for front range riding? Unfortunately I won't be able to test ride either of them before making a decision. I took out a Jet9 aluminum and liked the ride, though I thought the handeling was a bit more twitchy than I would have preferred. The Jet9 RDO with a 120mm fork is more slack than the aluminum model and obviously the RIP is even more especially with a 140mm fork.
    datapoint: my husband and I demoed a bunch of FS 29ers from mid-April through August of last year. Santa Cruz, Yeti, Specialized, Trek, Giant, Cannondale and Niner.

For the sort of riding we prefer- Front Range trail riding, Winter Park race series, Colorado Trail long weekend rambles, Firecracker 50 (enduro racing), some Mountain States (now defunct) races, we settled on the Niner Jet 9 RDOs. Golden Bike Shop was instrumental in making the sale to us, mainly through their excellent and efficient customer service. The demos we tried from GBS were setup with more of a trail focus than XC focus (120mm forks, heavier wheels, etc) but we liked the ride, suspension platform and geometry enough that we bought a pair of frames and spec'd them out as flat out race rockets.

We are absolutely stoked with the bikes, full stop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    After having owned/demoed a lot of bikes (including a ton of 2012 demos last season) and riding the trails here since 1994, I finally have my perfect 3-bike quiver for the FR and high country trails - Turner Sultan, single speed 29er (Spot Brand Rocker) and a Surly Necro Pugs (trails need more snow!). Yeti SB-95 was also at the top of my list (wasn't impressed by the SB-66).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5