Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ride
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    Besides, when you buy local your sales tax supports Open Space
    Parks and Trails.
    That's bad, right? Didn't you just say this in another thread?
    "The only thing those little open space barriers do is enrich real estate agents and land owners who already own property."

Not trying to threadjack, just confused on whether or not you think buying a bike locally is a good thing?
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    That's bad, right? Didn't you just say this in another thread?
    "The only thing those little open space barriers do is enrich real estate agents and land owners who already own property."

Not trying to threadjack, just confused on whether or not you think buying a bike locally is a good thing?
    Not a problem. I want you guys to understand the negative aspects of
    Conservation Easements.

You're taking my statements out of context.

I was talking about Conservation Easements placed on private property to
    create open space buffers. That's the situation on the north and south
    sides of Colorado Springs. Also around Boulder where CE's have been
    placed on those little family farms.

You can't ride on that kind of open space. FOREVER.
    Really sucks IMHO.

It's open space yes. But the limitations placed on the property with the CE
    prevents any parks or trails being built on it, forever. (unless they were
    written into the original CE)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    I hate you. I did not want to know about that!
    Suck it up Nancy!
    You don't need the big ring, just use less brakes!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertHurst View Post
    It might though.
    True, it might. Bikes are indeed fun, and I did have a summer fling with a rigid bike not long ago. Taught me a lot. Not something I would want to do daily or on long rides. Just somethin to break up the monotony on familiar trails.

I feel very fortunate, however, to be in a position to debate the merits of such rad bikes (with seats).
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstateskier View Post
    You can look at $2500 bikes all day long but coming off an ultegra carbon Tarmac I stare at the substandard components and shudder... I nitpick all day long, "ohh I could upgrade this to this, and that to that. Oh I wish this was fox float instead of shox, too bad the seat stay isn't carbon... The wheels, omg the wheels!"

See it goes on forever, next thing you know you're checkbook is $6k on the light side!

I actually swung a leg over a camber comp 29er last night. I liked it at $2600, it's spec'd decent. I think with $800 wheel upgrades, a seat dropper and a chain guide plus tax it will come in around $3500... I really liked that, it'd leave me cash left over for whatever later. Will get ride this weekend along with a stumpy FSR 29er, and an epic comp... Still holding out to test ride a Tallboy LT, Rocky Mountain altitude, a yeti sb95 would be a nice test ride, no dealers near me...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Like xcguy and a couple others, I have no idea why you'd spend $5-6k on a bike. $800 wheels, top of the line components, carbon bits? Unless you're making money racing, why bother? Someone else mentioned getting two... that's what I'd do with that kind of money. Get a nicely spec'd 1-2 yr old 29er for longer rides, and get a 6" travel 26" bike for having fun around here.

I have a Trek HiFi Pro 29er and a Carbon Nomad, both purchased as used one-year old bikes for prices you wouldn't believe. I couldn't be happier for the terrain we have in Colorado.

Team Velveeta™

stop!

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    ... I have no idea why you'd spend $5-6k on a bike. $800 wheels, top of the line components, carbon bits? Unless you're making money racing, why bother? ...
    Opstay ellingtay ethay exantay otay avesay oneymay

Guys, guys... a Texan wants to bring a big stack of cash to Colorado and give it to one of our bike shops? Would you stop this crazy talk about how he shouldn't do it?

Think: Texas money being spent in Colorado... this has been making Colorado's world go around since the Great Depression.

Shut up now!
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Stop

Opstay ellingtay ethay exantay otay avesay oneymay

Guys, guys... a Texan wants to bring a big stack of cash to Colorado and give it to one of our bike shops? Would you stop this crazy talk about how he shouldn't do it?

Think: Texas money being spent in Colorado... this has been making Colorado's world go around since the Great Depression.

Shut up now!
    I'm pretty sure the new intarwebz spelling is now "STAHP"...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I'm pretty sure the new intarwebz spelling is now "STAHP"...
    Moar intarwebz spellings pleaz! Bring da lulz!

mtbr member
    Where is the KFC? He's been missing in action for a while now...no moar lulz :/
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I am certainly NOT A TEXAN, I'm from KANSAS! I only work in Texas.

You guys are right I'm hunting for used here in the land of big trucks... Thanks for showing me the error of my ways!

Living the High Life
    I know you don't ride, but have you actually looked at any bike price tags lately? It's dead easy to spend 5 grand on a bike these days. Hell, a decent fork is a grand now.
    I think people are referring to what they actually spend. Retail is the price tag you mentioned, who the he!l pays retail?

I have 2 $6k+ bikes. I paid about $6k for both.

*Oh and I'm pretty sure Mr. Karate Chicken was banned.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    I am certainly NOT A TEXAN, I'm from KANSAS
    Better luck next time!

Now older but less slow!
    Stop it now please! Otherwise I am going to have to thumbs down TomP for lowering my IQ.

Team Velveeta™

Oops!

I am certainly NOT A TEXAN, I'm from KANSAS! ...
    Sorry about that, it was uncalled for. Below the belt.

But if you are working in Texas, your money is from there. Still a correct thing to spend money in Colorado that was made in Texas.

Getting a used bike is a good call. But once you're here, demo some bikes. You may or may not find that there's a better fit for you than whatever you bring with you...

Team Velveeta™

Q and A

Q:

Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    ... who the he!l pays retail? ...
    A:

Texans.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    From my limited experience here in the land of six guns and mud tires most texans are decent peeps. It's the over zealous ones that give Texas a bad name... Of course in Kansas it's the Jayhawks that give Kansas a bad name! Ha

Team Velveeta™

backstory

From my limited experience here in the land of six guns and mud tires most texans are decent peeps. It's the over zealous ones that give Texas a bad name... Of course in Kansas it's the Jayhawks that give Kansas a bad name! Ha...
    I have to explain a little--looks like I have a hatred but it's not true. I actually have known quite a few very nice Texans, and I have two very good nieces who were born down there. My comments are tongue-in-cheek. Mostly.

It's an old classic thing about the animosity of CO people toward Texans. And here's the story I got from my Dad, a 2nd generation native who grew up in SE CO (Las Animas and Rocky Ford) during the depression:

Back in the 30s when things got really bad for Colorado farmers, especially in the lower Arkansas Valley, foreclosures were almost universal. The banks were taking virtually all the farms. My grandfather had inheirited an irrigated farm that he lost in about 1936. He wound up dying in 1940 when my dad was 8.

So the bank owned all this farmland. Who bought it? Oil rich Texans bought lots of it. Few of them farmed, they either rented out their land to the people who used to own it or just let it sit there.

So, there was a little resentment... and it lives even today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have to explain a little--looks like I have a hatred but it's not true. I actually have known quite a few very nice Texans, and I have two very good nieces who were born down there. My comments are tongue-in-cheek. Mostly.

It's an old classic thing about the animosity of CO people toward Texans. And here's the story I got from my Dad, a 2nd generation native who grew up in SE CO (Las Animas and Rocky Ford) during the depression:

Back in the 30s when things got really bad for Colorado farmers, especially in the lower Arkansas Valley, foreclosures were almost universal. The banks were taking virtually all the farms. My grandfather had inheirited an irrigated farm that he lost in about 1936. He wound up dying in 1940 when my dad was 8.

So the bank owned all this farmland. Who bought it? Oil rich Texans bought lots of it. Few of them farmed, they either rented out their land to the people who used to own it or just let it sit there.

So, there was a little resentment... and it lives even today.
    I can understand that... I'm certainly not offended...

Living the High Life
    Q:

A:

Texans.
    Well played.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Chairman of the Beard
    So... back to the question at hand...

I wound up going through a series of used bikes, a Giant Trance X2 26er, a Gary Fisher Supercaliber 29er, which broke and required a ton of suspension repairs, front and rear, a new hardtail Niner frame with the Fisher's old parts on it, and now a new Niner JET9 frame with some of the Fisher's old parts on it mixed with some used higher end bits from Veloswap and new wheels and such.

It would have been much cheaper for me to just buy a fully specc'ed JET9 when I got here with decent new components on it, X9 or XT, than pay all the repairs and buy new frames and such. I use the bike enough that finding deals on used stuff isn't actually cost effective because I'm using them enough that they break.

If I were arriving in Colorado today, knowing what I know now, I'd buy a Yeti SB-95 with a 2x10 full XT build, a dropper post (not Crank Bros), and a Fox 34 front end. If I were arriving in Colorado when you're arriving, depending on how long it takes Yeti to finish it, I'd wait for the SB-95c, because carbon. And I don't think the bike is going to retail for that much more than the Al version.

Yeti's local, they know what they're doing... for the Front Range.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The yeti is a cool bike. Niner is local to the front range as well, I recently went to a trail day and the whole niner crew was there. And I love my Jet9 on front range trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Yeti, not the coolers!

Quote Originally Posted by hirschmj View Post
    So... back to the question at hand...

If I were arriving in Colorado today, knowing what I know now, I'd buy a Yeti SB-95 with a 2x10 full XT build, a dropper post (not Crank Bros), and a Fox 34 front end. If I were arriving in Colorado when you're arriving, depending on how long it takes Yeti to finish it, I'd wait for the SB-95c, because carbon. And I don't think the bike is going to retail for that much more than the Al version.

Yeti's local, they know what they're doing... for the Front Range.
    Yeti is a good lookin rig - I like all the reviews both by mag/online reviewers as well as actual riders on this forum. I'm adding them to my short list and will try and find one to test ride. The SB-95 looks like a great all around bike like I'm searching for. I do like they're made in the CO front range as well.

Thanks that's some of the best advice yet

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I wonder is the ASR-5 650b compatible?

mtbr member

How tall are you? If you want something to 650b: Santa Cruz Bicycles

Here's the full list: Santa Cruz Bicycles
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Chairman of the Beard

The SB-66 is. I think. Also comes in carbon
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast