Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ibis Mojo HD. Best bike ive ever ridden...

Now older but less slow!
    Oh, as others have stated, CO Front Range doesn't really have flat trails. It's either up or down. I managed to grab a quick ride yesterday and it was 2100 of climbing and descending over a piddly 12 miles.

I echo the sentiments of others. Keep your current bike and start riding it once you get here. I rode my mid 90s XC FS (with 2.5 inches of suspension) for a year and a half before I changed my bike. Sure I'm quicker now, but I still had huge fun on my old bike.

Figure out what you really like in the FR trails before buying. That could save a very expensive mistake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike opinions. CO front range-walker-ranch.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    OP: couple of thoughts...
    First, how's your DH skills? I ask because it sounds like the areas you've ridden are a lot mellower than the rock-strewn chundery mess the CO/Front Range. Yeah, there are smoother trails, but if you land in Golden, the (arguably funner) trails you can ride to are rocky! Also, Front Range (and I'd say most of CO) riding is big ups followed by big downs...well, relative to say TX...? So, you can get a climb-biased bike with stiff suspension and race bike steering which will make the ups more pleasant, but scare the b'Jesus out of you on the downs! Or you can get a downhill-biased bike that, if you tweak the gearing, can crawl up a wall. You won't win any Strava KOMs, but who cares! The downs are where its at for CO/FR rides...and I'd say the most fun is in the techy downs.
    Second thought, how big are you? If you pick up a really nice light race bike and you don't race, how long do you expect your parts to last in the intended terrain...here? Riding here chews through parts. If you're heavy and you buy silly-light race bike/parts, you'll either be spending a lot of money to get light and durable parts, or spending a lot of money in replacements/repairs. Dunno about you, but me, I hate to repair/replace spendy bits and suffering down time due to mech issues. I build my bikes for low maintenance and slightly on the burlier side to avoid this.

/ravings.

BTW, what a cool problem to have!

Edit: forget the long cockpit w/ stubby stems. Try a more upright seated position w/ stubby stem...so you can be all over the bike. Yeah, I'm a Santa Cruz fanboy, if it gives you a clue on the bike I'd recommend. I ride the plastic canary version of the bike you named, and also its little brother (Blur LTc, and all reports say you can 650b this bike very nicely)

I would suspect my DH skills are lacking since I've grown up in Kansas and only in the past few years seriously mountain biked only rolling hills/albeit rocky and technical in the ozarks and now Texas. Texas is flat and pretty blah. I'm looking forward to the climbing and descending in colorado! Not to mention the scenery! Not sure I mentioned this but I'm a road convert, spent the last few years chasing a group of racers around the ozark mountains and sometimes getting dropped, sometimes hangin in.

To answer your other questions I'm 33, 160lbs dripping wet so I don't anticipate being to awfully hard on equipment. Long time athlete, runner, cyclist, skier and cycling fits my fitness goals... Like I said I don't have to have xo or complete xtr but I want a bike and components that aren't going to be a pita and are going to perform well. I don't need the lightest bike in the world or the most travel, I just want something that I can spend 4,5,6 hours on through a variety of the Colorado terrain! I wanna go up, I wanna go down, I wanna cross that gigantic openness and enjoy the scenery, I wanna rip that single track that I climbed a fire road or trail for 2 hours to get to the top of!

Very interested in the SC TBLT... And the fsrs that specialized has to offer. Just wish there was a shop around me that had one I could ride.

Again I appreciate your guys comments And opinions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    Oh, as others have stated, CO Front Range doesn't really have flat trails. It's either up or down. I managed to grab a quick ride yesterday and it was 2100 of climbing and descending over a piddly 12 miles.

I echo the sentiments of others. Keep your current bike and start riding it once you get here. I rode my mid 90s XC FS (with 2.5 inches of suspension) for a year and a half before I changed my bike. Sure I'm quicker now, but I still had huge fun on my old bike.

Figure out what you really like in the FR trails before buying. That could save a very expensive mistake.
    This would be a good plan if I had at current bike. Sold my fisher ht to pay for my Tarmac. Sold my Tarmac not long after I got to Texas because I hated the roads and it was an awful lot of $$$ to just sit in my garage collecting dust.

friend of Apex
    "I wish my bike had less suspension"

said no one, ever
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstateskier View Post
    This would be a good plan if I had at current bike. Sold my fisher ht to pay for my Tarmac. Sold my Tarmac not long after I got to Texas because I hated the roads and it was an awful lot of $$$ to just sit in my garage collecting dust.

If you don't do your own work on your bike and depend on LBS, wait til you get here to buy to develop a rapport w/ a shop. I'm not sure about your bargaining power if you show up w/ greenbacks, but it does wonders on places like Criagslist. OH, and there's there's the up-coming VeloSwap if you can make it. If you do do your own work, I still think you wait till you know more about the trails around the Front Range before pulling the trigger. Just trail-run a place like Chimney Gulch/Apex (your home trail if you live in Golden) to get an idea.
    It sounds like you also ride road...? You can pick up a used AM class bike and a roadie w/ your $5-6k budget...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you don't do your own work on your bike and depend on LBS, wait til you get here to buy to develop a rapport w/ a shop. I'm not sure about your bargaining power if you show up w/ greenbacks, but it does wonders on places like Criagslist. OH, and there's there's the up-coming VeloSwap if you can make it. If you do do your own work, I still think you wait till you know more about the trails around the Front Range before pulling the trigger. Just trail-run a place like Chimney Gulch/Apex (your home trail if you live in Golden) to get an idea.
    It sounds like you also ride road...? You can pick up a used AM class bike and a roadie w/ your $5-6k budget...
    You guys all offer good suggestions. I think to get me thru winter here in Texas I'm going to nab a slightly used hard tail something off CL (lots of good quality stuff for sale in austin and san antonio) and then bring that with me to CO, and then figure out what i want to do. I DO like supporting LBS...

Now older but less slow!
    You guys all offer good suggestions. I think to get me thru winter here in Texas I'm going to nab a slightly used hard tail something off CL (lots of good quality stuff for sale in austin and san antonio) and then bring that with me to CO, and then figure out what i want to do. I DO like supporting LBS...
    Sounds like a good choice.

If you end up near Louisville then you can still run the hard-tail for the South Boulder trails (Marshall Mesa etc or the myriad of multi-use trails) and then pick up a hardcore trail/AM class bike for the "big terrain" trails.

mtbr member
    Very interested in the SC TBLT... And the fsrs that specialized has to offer. Just wish there was a shop around me that had one I could ride.
    Not trying to sell you on a Tallboy of any flavor, but you may want to check this thread:
    Tallboy LT and LTc Owners Thread

Edit: I'd start from the last page and go backwards...thread is a bit bloated.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    That sounds like a great plan. This way, even when you get here, you will benefit from starting with a hardtail (suggest 29er). You'll become a better rider faster and you'll give yourself a chance to figure out what bike you really want for our front range terrain.

I will add that I am riding the Epic 29er and absolutely love it. I've ridden the front range on many different bikes over the years and was back to riding a 26" hardtail and loving it before I test rode the Epic two years ago. In my opinion, the Epic is a really good all-around bike for Colorado riding and I love the firm platform the brain gives.

But I also know there are other many other good bikes out there. You're on the right track starting with the hardtail and then figuring out what might best suit you.

Ride ON!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by COMtnBoy View Post
    That sounds like a great plan. This way, even when you get here, you will benefit from starting with a hardtail (suggest 29er). You'll become a better rider faster and you'll give yourself a chance to figure out what bike you really want for our front range terrain.
    AND, you can put a rigid fork on the 29er HT and go buzz around the CX tracks when the trails have snow. There's one in Golden that I really want to go buzz around on w/ my TB
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Not bad advice. If I wait that long my budget will be well into the $5-6k range. Opens up a lot of kick ass bikes at that point. Really looking fwd to getting to CO.

I fully support this opinion. Golden Bike Shop is fantastic, and I feel like it is super important to demo bikes on the specific conditions you'll be riding them. Not only do you learn your bike preferences better this way, but you also get to have useful conversations with the locals about tire choices and suspension setups, which are critical to the equation. Their service and demo program was instrumental in leading my husband and I to our recent Niner purchase (Jet 9 RDO). They are blowing out their demo fleet right now, in fact - so it's a perfect opportunity to snap up something cool.

IMO unless you're talking lift served, most trails worth riding in Colorado involve a long fairly steep climb on loose sandy jeep road / washout to gain access to the "payoff". Descents can be tricky if you're not used to dealing with sand, pea gravel and fist-sized loose rocks on every available surface. When I first moved out here, I felt like everything I rode was covered in marbles and ball bearings. Once my skills improved and I gave up on my 26" hardtails, it went much better.

I think a lightweight, fully suspended 29er is your most versatile choice for the trails out here assuming you want one do-it-all bike. Which bike (or bikes) you settle on will ultimately depend on your preference, your pocketbook and your demo options. I think all of the bikes you listed are potentially awesome depending on the setup, tires, and your personal preference.

The reason I vote 29er is that you don't find the super tight wooded singletrack that you have on the East Coast, and you'll like how the big wheels roll in the chunk, waterbars, jeep roads and open meadows / thinned pine forests that do typify our trails. Unless you're really into pedalling 6" of travel uphill or want to buy lift tickets, you don't really need it on 90% of the local/regional open space trails, barring a few very specific instances.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post

said no one, ever
    I don't know... I see a lot of which HT or what fork to make my bike a rigid threads!
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Kaj
    mtbr member
    This thread really needs Funrover to put some perspective on it.

Lunch Loops!

Run what you got and don't forget to smile, change it up if you feel like it
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger View Post
    but you also get to have useful conversations with the locals about tire choices and suspension setups, which are critical to the equation.
    Where's the fun in that? We could always do with one more "What tire for the Front Range?" thread..

Apr 2012

said no one, ever
    Henrik Djernis, right after he started racing for Pro-Flex.

Apr 2012
    I would rather ride a '93 rigid fork bike than a slack-angle speed descender on any Front Range loop or out-and-back that I can think of. Diff'rent strokes, Willis.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertHurst View Post
    I would rather ride a '93 rigid fork bike than a slack-angle speed descender on any Front Range loop or out-and-back that I can think of. Diff'rent strokes, Willis.

I pedal my Sunday up hills sometimes, just for the lulz. I dont think riding a rigid on some chunk would bring me as many lulz, however.

I spose that's why the thread is titled "bike opinions"

I will echo what babuser stated, some bikes can climb pretty darn good (close to or as good as a racer boi bike), and be fantastically superior on the descents.

Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    A descending biased bike doesn't have to be a big bike - see Stumpy EVO, Blur TRC, TBLT, 5 Spot...
    I think this is along the lines of what the OP is looking for, based on his postings...
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    MMMMMMMmmmmm Camber Carbon Evo 29er! Just had a chat with this beauty at another LBS!

Candlestick Maker
    I will echo what babuser stated, some bikes can climb pretty darn good (close to or as good as a racer boi bike), and be fantastically superior on the descents. .
    This kind of description makes me think of my recently acquired Heckler, which has me deviating from my endurance racer boi background... That bike brings the big smiles.

baker

ride
    The best all arounder bike for doing a little of everything, IMO, would have neither a climbing bias nor would it have a descending bias. Skills will get you a long way. Ride your bike for a bit after you get here and go from there. The go to bike around here seems to be in the 5-6" travel range for a 26er and a little less for a fs 29er. Ride a few bikes in CO terrain and make up your mind after you see what floats your boat. Me? I've got a 150mm 26er, a 29er geared ht, and a 29er SS. Although I have my preferences on what to ride where, none of them seem to really kill my mojo anywhere. I never think, "that ride sucked, I wish I was on my xxx."
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Apr 2012
    I pedal my Sunday up hills sometimes, just for the lulz. I dont think riding a rigid on some chunk would bring me as many lulz, however....
    It might though. Riding rigid forks on chernky trails is very fun -- up to a point. Some moves are actually easier with a rigid fork.

There isn't an inch of Front Range chunk that wasn't under this beauty's tires at least a few times.

That bike is fun to ride on technical stuff, and climbs much easier even than my super light race bike (which is at least 3 pound lighter even with sus. fork). It's about the hand position.

But NO it does not want to go down rough trails fast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Don't ignore the used market, there are deals to be had:
    Last edited by xcguy; 12-02-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Don't ignore the used market, there are deals to be had:
    Your '88 walmart special? Lemme guess, you're trying to get $550 for it?
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Your '88 walmart special? Lemme guess, you're trying to get $550 for it?
    For you, Pau11y, tree fiddy.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast