mtbr member
    Oct 2005

bike & mushroom hunt recommendations please

I'd like to go pick mushrooms this weekend with friends while my husband rides. So the ideal trail would be:
    - within an hour or so drive from the Front Range (kids are coming, so the drive can't be too long)
    - covered with conifer trees (so that we can find king boletes). Some aspen trees would be great too (so we can find aspen boletes). The tree coverage requirement is only within walking distance from the start.
    - not too steep (so that we don't tumble down the trail in search for that perfect mushroom)
    - and of course, mushrooms should be present

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Colorado Trail between Gold Hill & GA Pass was positively COVERED with mushrooms a few years back about this time of year... IIRC the West Ridge climb had GOBS of fungi.

mtbr member

909 Trail near Brainard / Peacful Valley

Rode that last weekend, saw some people picking some huge mushrooms. They knew what they were looking for and seemed to be finding them. Been raining a ton up there so that is probably helping them grow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yeah, knowing what you're looking for and can absolutely choose which ones to pick and eat and which ones will kill you instantly I believe are the keys to a successful hunt.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Great suggestions, thanks a lot! I know what I am looking for, king boletes.

Does Not Belong on a Bike
    I was going to say Telluride during the Phish show until you mentioned an hour within the front range. Then you said kids.

D'oh!
    This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!

imaorobbie
    Webster Pass on the Summit County side has amazing boletus this time of year. I saw some pictures from the Ten Mile Range of some nicely developing boletus. Not sure of any other boomers out there, but the boletus are going to be big this year!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks Porkchop_Power! Found one king bolete and whole bunch of aspen boletes.