Thread: Bike Fit

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Bike Fit

Anyone have a front range favorite for fits other than the CU physiology lab? I'd rather not spend the money that they require.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Quote Originally Posted by lanruss
    Anyone have a front range favorite for fits other than the CU physiology lab? I'd rather not spend the money that they require.
    Go see Nat in Golden.
    http://www.probikecenter.com

Rolling
    I wish I was at the level where bike fit really mattered to that millimeter of seatpost height, saddle position, stem length, to save the extra 3 seconds in a bike race.

But I follow the method of human adaptability and jump on the rig and have fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm not trying to shave seconds... ask anyone who's ever ridden with me. I have a relatively new bike that I feel "scrunched up" on and I want to try to minimize the pain.

HIKE!
    Optimize, Lidarman. Optimize. You may be riding with diminished fun levels.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrow
    Optimize, Lidarman. Optimize. You may be riding with diminished fun levels.
    The six pack I drink the night before is where the problem is. I can shake it, I know i can......

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    The six pack I drink the night before is where the problem is. I can shake it, I know i can......
    But why in God's name would you *want* to?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Try moving up the schedule to an hour before the ride, rather than the night before. That may help things out - although come to think of it it obviously hasn't worked for me.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by lanruss
    Five step program that works every time:
    1) Go to LBS
    2) Test ride bike, if it fits, continue to #3, if not, repeat with another size bike.
    3) Switch out stem/bars/seatpost to tweak fit.
    4) Pay for bike and ride.
    5) If further issues develop while on trail, repeat #3.

feel the Force
    There are plenty of fitters in the Front Range. Most of them do a decent job. I'd go to someone who is certified and experienced. BCSM isn't necessary. Sure, they're PTs, but unless you're severely symptomatic, you can save your $$$. Find a local fitter. Ask them about their experience. Is it mostly roadies? Do they understand the subtle differences between a mtb and road fit? Can they take your individual abilities and limitations into account? Find someone who you develop a rapore with. I know, this sounds like a lot, but I've seen plenty of screwed up fits in my time. Here's a couple of guidlines; not everyone needs, or can be, fit like an elite level racer. As a matter of fact, most racers are in a horrible position. They're just freaks of nature that can pedal a bike fast! Comfort and power and efficiency all go hand in hand - they're not mutally exclusive. Make sure your fit is tailored to you, not a relative guideline or formula based on static dimensions.
    My $.02

mtbr member
    I can fit you for a six pack.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I don't know where you're located, but the guys at Blue Sky Cycles in Longmont are very good from a service perspective and they have a bike fitter.

This is how it started...
    Blue Sky Cycles in on the corner of Nelson and Airport Road in West Longmont. I agree with brokenbonz, these guys are friendly and service oriented.