mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Bike Commute Route

In 2012 I'm determined to ride my bikes a whole lot more so I would like to start commuting to work but am looking for some route recommendations.
    I live on the South end of Colo Springs and work at Interquest/ I25. I plan to get on the Greenway/ Santa fe trail downtown and head North but I'm not sure what the best point would be to break off towards Interquest. I know there is a section of trail that goes under I25 near the Oracle building but that's a mile or two further North than I need to go. Someone had mentioned the greenway trail breaks off around woodmen and another trail heads east but I'm not sure where that would send me.
    Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

mtbr member
    What kind of bike? The Santa Fe Trail turns to dirt in a few places along the way. Not sure where the pavement starts on the south end of the trail. Sort of mid-town, there's a brief gravel patch where you have to go around a stream by going out to a road, then back onto the trail. It turns to dirt again at Woodmen.

That said, you could ride the trail all the way to the north gate. then come back down Voyager to Interquest.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by cosgti View Post
    In 2012 I'm determined to ride my bikes a whole lot more so I would like to start commuting to work but am looking for some route recommendations.
    I live on the South end of Colo Springs and work at Interquest/ I25. I plan to get on the Greenway/ Santa fe trail downtown and head North but I'm not sure what the best point would be to break off towards Interquest. I know there is a section of trail that goes under I25 near the Oracle building but that's a mile or two further North than I need to go. Someone had mentioned the greenway trail breaks off around woodmen and another trail heads east but I'm not sure where that would send me.
    Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
    I work in the same area. If I'm on fat tires I take the SF trail all the way to the i-25 culvert/underpass by Oracle. Exit right and follow the single track back to Interquest. In the winter I throw on some yak tracks and walk through the culvert. It ices up and will put you on your ass.

If you want to avoid that route, leave the Santa Fe trail where it passes under I-25 before Woodman (just past the mini-golf). Take the steep climb up to Vincent and head North. Cross Woodman (becomes Campus). Bear right onto Vincent (turns into Cragin) and then take the short pedestrian path on to Goddard. North on Goddard to where it Ts into Kelly Johnson. Right to Academy. From there it is a straight shot up Voyager. I'll usually go left on Academy and work my way up behind McDonald's on Razorback and then take that short bit of bike path on the West side of Voyager up to where it ends at Research.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The ice in the Oracle tunnel is some amazing stuff on bike shoes lately - we started sanding it today, dang near ride it on bare tires now if you stay on the sand track. Nice little sand pile on the East side and a container stashed there should keep it in better shape now. I lightly sanded the entrance to the trail that goes South out the East side of the tunnel - used to take that down to Briargate Pkwy (cross Interquest, hop the fence into afa property at the Old Ranch dead-end!) before taking a job at Oracle.

Anyhow, instead of the Woodman exit, which is likely quicker, consider riding into the AFA in the South side, immediately head East over Monument Creek on the pedestrian bridge to the RV parking, then Exit out the South AFA entrance. Follow LoudPawlz instructions up behind McDonalds and take the West side sidewalk of highway 83 up to research. Probably a road ride from there on 83. One trick exiting the AFA on the South is to cross over I-25, and take an immediate left, I mean as soon as you get over the bridge. Nice sidewalk there to get behind McDonalds and Country Buffet there. Not sure what the AFA status is for bikes coming out that gate - check first, but a bit less traffic and lights to deal with than Woodman.

If the purpose is to ride more - just go to the Oracle tunnel - all dirt and no traffic, and a nice single/double track back South to Interquest.

Ride on!
    Jon

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the replies. Now that I know I'll have to give it a test ride this weekend and see how long it takes me.