mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Bike Choice for Incoming College Student

Im going to school next year at School of Mines in Golden. Before then, I am planning to build a new bike. Currently I'm on a Niner One 9 and I love it. However, I've heard Colorado has these things called "mountains" that Texas seems to lack. So, the new bike is going to be a geared full squish most likely. For riding in the Denver/Golden area, do you guys recommend a 100mm or 120mm bike?

Now the flip side of this is that I might want to ride this bike in Texas during the summer, which is making 100mm look much more appealing. Just wanted to see what the guys from CO think.

tl;dr I want a new bike for CO, 120mm or 100mm.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

Addicted to Dirt
    The One 9 will be fine out here, save your money for books and beer...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Having just gone with a 31lb 160mm bike (Trek Slash), I have to say unless you are racing, why bother with a 100mm-120mm bike? I think today the ideal situation is to have a hardtail with a 100-120mm fork for easy trails and a 150mm-160mm longer travel bike for everything else. The new long travel bikes with Propedal/CTD and travel adjust forks climb almost as well as a 120mm, and rip the downhills way better. The more travel you have, the more options you have.

Honestly though, I'm trying to imagine when I'm going to ride my hardtail this year, other than for variety.

YMMV

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I do plan on racing... a bunch. I guess I should have included that in my original post.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Just make sure you have a safe place to lock it up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    CSM has bike lockers that I presume are pretty safe seeing as they have a collegant team

gotta get up to get down
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    I think today the ideal situation is to have a hardtail with a 100-120mm fork for easy trails and a 150mm-160mm longer travel bike for everything else. The new long travel bikes with Propedal/CTD and travel adjust forks climb almost as well as a 120mm, and rip the downhills way better. The more travel you have, the more options you have.
    +1, spot on good sir

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What tires do you guys recommend for the front range?

I kid. I kid.

Chairman of the Beard
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    What tires do you guys recommend for the front range?
    Knard 29x3.0
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Just make sure you have a safe place to lock it up.
    That's the best advice here.

For bikes...wait until you get here and ride several trails. I started with a 100mm when I moved from WI in 2006 and went to 160mm for years. I picked up a HT 2 years ago and wound up riding that more than the 160mm. Now my main bike is a 130mm 29er. I still have the HT but don't use it much anymore. I've also had a full on 200mm DH bike the whole time for lift access.

I don't care what anyone says here; it's personal preference. Ride for a few months and make up your own mind.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    CSM has bike lockers that I presume are pretty safe seeing as they have a collegant team
    Hum... a $4K+ bike being secured by a $20 lock. I don't think so.
    My bikes live indoors.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Hum... a $4K+ bike being secured by a $20 lock. I don't think so.
    My bikes live indoors.
    I used to bring my bike into my work building. My friend Bill and I put them in an empty cubical. In college I kept an old beater bike for around campus. My FS never left my sight outside my house.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have a good relationship with the shop I race for (and a good discount) that's the main reason I was thinking of building it up ahead of time. Also, I'm a 29er and Niner fan, so the two bikes I was primarily looking at were the rip9 and jet9.

How big is the SS community? I've only had a week's experience SS in the mountains and it was quite painful.

Living the High Life
    I have a good relationship with the shop I race for (and a good discount) that's the main reason I was thinking of building it up ahead of time. Also, I'm a 29er and Niner fan, so the two bikes I was primarily looking at were the rip9 and jet9.

How big is the SS community? I've only had a week's experience SS in the mountains and it was quite painful.
    I turned that HT I mentioned in to a SS. I did one ride on GM and put the gears back on. Lots of people around here love them though.