Medicine Wheel Guy

Bike Ban Coming - Cheyenne Mtn State Park

As many of you know, Cheyenne Mtn State Park has historically been a fantastic place to mountain bike. This is partly because Medicine Wheel and IMBA partnered with the park management about a decade ago in a very successful program to develop the park with multiple uses in mind.

More recently, the City of Colorado Springs and the State of Colorado were able to acquire the top of Cheyenne Mountain and add it to the park. It's a spectacular piece of property.

It's been several years coming, but a draft plan for the additions to the park has been produced, with trails to the top of Cheyenne Mountain.

Under the draft plan, bikes will not be allowed anywhere on the new property.

Needless to say, Medicine Wheel is appalled at this outcome. We have tried to answer the concerns of the current park management about the use of bikes in the new property. We have asked for a compromise in which bikes would be allowed as far up as the "saddle" on the south side of the mountain, with an eye towards future connections in Cheyenne Canyon. But our requests and discussions have apparently fallen on deaf ears.

We're asking for your help.

There will be a public open house on Wednesday, July 25 between 5:30PM to 8:30PM at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, during which the public is invited to comment on the new plan.

Please save the date, show up, and let the park management know (as strongly but politely as you can) how important it is to be able to ride the new addition to Cheyenne Mountain State Park.

Medicine Wheel Trail Advocates has always valued its role as a partner in the development and management of the Cheyenne Mtn State Park and we very sincerely want to continue to be a positive, productive partner going forward. We are extremely disappointed in the current direction that the proposed plan has taken and very strongly request that the State Parks and Wildlife Division reconsider allowing mountain biking in the new section of the park.

Thanks.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Was Mtn biking already allowed and taking place on this new parcel? Are any of the trails that are currently allowed to MTBs going to be affected under the draft plan?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This is the same trail that is described in Volunteer Spam: Cheyenne Mountain - Dixon Trail build, Oct 7, 8, 9. (And thanks to everyone that signed up to help build the trail -- too bad that weekend got snowed out.) There is an existing trail there (more or less) that is barely hikeable, much less rideable. This is essentially all new trail, about 3.5 miles long, that incorporates a couple short sections of the old trail. The new trail was designed for bikes, but it seems that management has had a change of heart.

I'm not aware of any new bike restrictions on any existing trails in CMSP.

Medicine Wheel Guy
    Bonked is correct, the existing trails in the park will be minimally affected. The added terrain was previously private land. It wraps around the south shoulder of Cheyenne Mountain and up to the top. There should eventually be a connection to Cheyenne Canyon to the west over the shoulder of the mountain, which would provide for some epic rides. We don't want to see that possibility closed out from the start.

That said, while I don't anticipate a huge volume of traffic to the top, it's a spectacular place. It will be one of those rides, with lots of hike a bike, that goes on the "yeah, I did that one" list.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    What frustrates me about this is there doesn't seem to be any real justification for excluding bikers. There are a couple short sections of hike-a-bike, probably less than 1/4 mile total, and the rest is totally rideable. In addition, this trail doesn't even start till you are well over three miles from the parking lot, which means few hikers are going to bother going out there. Heck, the top of Talon usually only sees runners and bikers with few hikers. It just doesn't make sense to me to exclude a significant portion of the typical CMSP visitors from that part of the park.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Is the draft plan posted somewhere so we can check it out? Is there a schedule for the planning process - in other words, when is the next public meeting or is there a deadline we are working against in getting this changed?

Bonked - Sounds like you guys (you and Chris) were kind of taken by surprise by this. Any ideas why this might have happened. Was public against it, certain user groups voicing concern, etc.?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by manitoumtbr View Post
    Bonked - Sounds like you guys (you and Chris) were kind of taken by surprise by this. Any ideas why this might have happened. Was public against it, certain user groups voicing concern, etc.?
    Yeah, Jim, we really were caught off guard on this. I've done a good bit of asking around and nobody knows for sure what spurred the decision. The most common story I've heard is the park manager had a bad experience with a biker on a trail and decided to rein in the bikers, but that is just speculation. I've been trying to get together with the park manager on some other tasks in hopes that I could fish for some reasoning on this decision but we haven't managed to get our schedules to line up yet.

Hopefully, enough bikers will speak up to get the park's attention. I mean, if it weren't for bikers CMSP would be even quieter than it already is.

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004
    Unfortunately, I have to be out of town for work on the 25th. Is there a good way for me to leave written comment in my absence?
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

We the people ... Official invite

Sent: Monday, July 9, 2012 3:51:07 PM
    Subject: Public Open House Meeting #2 - Draft Cheyenne Mountain SP Mgt Plan

Colorado Parks & Wildlife is hosting a public open house meeting to share recommendations included in its Draft 2012 Cheyenne Mountain State Park Management Plan. Scheduled for completion later this year, the plan will outline a 10-year planning framework for the park. The document will also help guide future park planning and budgeting, development, and administration as well as potential uses for the 1000-acre Top of the Mountain area.

The goal of the open house meeting is to inform the public of recommendations outlined in the draft plan and solicit additional input prior to developing a final plan. The meeting is scheduled for:

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

5:30pm-8:30pm

Foothills Room

2886 South Circle Drive

Colorado Springs, CO 80906

*The meeting is open house format. Please stop in anytime.

Following the meeting, digital copies of printed materials and the draft management plan will be posted on the park webpage at: Cheyenne Mountain Management Plan | Colorado State Parks. If you have any thoughts, recommendations, or questions regarding the planning process or this meeting please email plan.management@state.co.us or contact Mitch Martin, Park Manager, at (719) 576-2381.

banned
    nice drama thread

misleading title

is the op a lamestream media wannabe?

old skool newbie
    I don't ride much down your way and probably won't do anything to help, but I am glad that most people here are trying to help (despite the snarky remarky). It has been said that it is hard to fly like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My first post, but this topic has me concerned enough to join in. We picked up a year park pass, just for cmsp because it is an easy close ride when we dont feel like climbing much. Or dealing with dogs. Or dealing with horses. Or dealing with dog and horse poo on the trail.

I know there is strong desire for horse access to cmsp. Curious to see if that comes up at the meeting. Ditto for opening to dogs.

We hope to be able to attend the meeting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlining View Post
    I know there is strong desire for horse access to cmsp.
    I can assure you that the park is under a lot of pressure to allow equestrian access. The specification for the Dixon Trail (the one that is the topic of this thread) was widened to 36" to accommodate equestrians "just in case" they are allowed.