STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010

Big trouble in Palmer Park today???

I don't get it. Every other post on here is about trail conditions and if its too wet to ride. One illegal trail in a park is found and there is almost a public lynching! I get up this morning to go race in Palmer and look out side and think fat chance! Then they have the race??? Am I missing something?

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    ... you can't make Palmer Park any worse than it already is. What's a few more ruts?

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Racing when its cool & cloudy and racing when its muddy are two different balls of wax. Did Palmer get rain yesterday or last night? if so how much?

If the trails are dry (which they could be) it would have been a great day to race, if not Ascent and Sand Creek should be ashamed for going forward with this.

PP has been very dry and could easily soak up a slight rain storm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It wasn't that wet for the most part. There were a few muddy sections and the clay areas were pretty wet. On any other day I would have just gone for a road ride but I don't think it was "shamefully" wet.

At the start of my race they said they would be doing trail work tomorrow.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    It rained all night! I'm glad they went ahead with the race, good to see some people realize that rubber tires on some wet trails isn't going to knock the planet off its axis.
    I vow never to drink the Kool-aid again! Haters gon Hate. Somebody put that picture up here again, freakin hilarious.

Living Large in Germany
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo View Post
    I don't get it. Every other post on here is about trail conditions and if its too wet to ride. One illegal trail in a park is found and there is almost a public lynching! I get up this morning to go race in Palmer and look out side and think fat chance! Then they have the race??? Am I missing something?
    To answer your question. I live right next to Palmer and normally I wouldn't have gone in there and rode with the same weather as I wouldn't want to come back in and fix the trail damage that I would cause but in this case Andy and I made the call let the race go on, understanding that it could potentially cause us a lot of work after the event.

On Sunday I rode the course at 5:30 am and there were only a few sections that were muddy. The rain we had gotten overnight was very light and the soil for the most part was wet only down to about 1/4"-1/2". But before the races started I definitely thought we were going to have to spend the next few days in there raking out some of the ruts but in actuality as the day dried out and the racing went on the trails got in great shape--arguably better than in quite some time. Even the clayiest section of where Templeton goes back into Palmer Pt (near the stables) on the Cat 1 & 2 course was in real good shape.

As local guys Andy and I have always been good stewards of any race course we have used and we have cancelled/postponed races in the past for rainy/muddy conditions--the conditions on Sunday just didn't warrant that response.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I was skeptical of the decision to do the race too! I live right next to Palmer and didn't think about riding it that day. But I road it the next day and was surprised to find it in great shape. And there was no damage done from the race. I think as long as the clay singletrack around the stables is ok then usually the whole place is good to ride.

Chris