mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Beti Bikebash...

who went?

I was there with my wife who raced for the first time. They had a 'Never Ever' category for women doing their first race. Finished 3rd in her age group.

Really fun event, well run, with a big turnout. Georgia Gould, Erin Huck, and plenty of other pros were in attendance.

Watching pretty girls race their mtb bikes, free coffee, food, beer...

it was a hard day

mtbr member
    is bear creek the only place on the front range where they allow mtb races?...or is it just the cheapest place to host a race...it has to be one or the other.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    good question...I dont know about that. Why?

In my limited experience- with Bear Creek being one of the least technical that Im aware of, it makes for a good venue; it being easy to accommodate all classes.

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead View Post
    is bear creek the only place on the front range where they allow mtb races?...or is it just the cheapest place to host a race...it has to be one or the other.
    I know warriors had Ridge line and Indian Creek, not sure if they did the battle of the bear or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I believe they did Bear as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I was there! Won my beginner 30-39 class. And go figure, got my second flat tire ever, and the only other flat I've ever had I got during Battle the Bear... damn goatheads at that venue!

It makes for a super fast, non-technical race, which can be fun sometimes! Gotta love just hammering all out without having to worry about any slow parts!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nice! Good job.

and yea, we saw a lot of flats.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead View Post
    Many OS departments view competitive cycling as active use recreation and as such not permitted under their rules. i.e. Jeffco/Boulder

These agencies usually fall back on their OS tax codes as the reason why. (Why this cannot be changed to allow exceptions for single day events is beyond me and seems counter-productive to what parks are there for.)

City Parks are usually less-restrictive since they are focused more on recreation than sight seeing. Bear Creek is a City of Lakewood park and isn't held to the same restrictions as Jeffco OS parks.

If tax codes don't stop competitive events then the other primary restriction is from conservation easements. C/S Springs TOPS parks like Red Rocks, Section 16, etc... usually written into these conservation easements are restrictions limiting both active use recreation and organized events.

Of course private property is still out there too. But how many landowners have a full trail system ready to race on plus parking?