Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Beti Bike Bash, Colorado's First Women's Only MTB race

CALLING ALL WOMEN THAT RIDE DIRT!! (and if you are a guy that knows a woman that rides dirt, please spread the love).

Please save the date for the first ever women's only mountain biking event on June 12, 2010. We are encouraging all women that mountain bike to come out. RACE does not have to be a four letter word.

*Cat 3 (Beginner) 2 laps, 10 miles, 9am
    *Cat 2 (Sport) 3 laps, 15 miles, 10am
    *Cat 1/Pro, 4 laps, 20 miles, 11:30am

*3-woman relay. Each rider will race one 5-mile lap. The relay will start right after the Cat 2 field, @10:05am

*Shimano Kids race so bring the whole family.

The race course will feature a 5 mile lap on rolling, non-technical terrain at Bear Creek Lake Park. Mostly singletrack riding with views of Red Rocks and surrounding park.

EXPO area will feature Yeti Cycle demo bikes and other supporting sponsors. Food and drink included!

Race registration and packet pick up will be Friday, June 11, 5-7pm, at Green Mountain Sports in Lakewood. Every 1/2 hour starting at 5pm you can learn to fix a flat tire.

Tuesday, June 1 pre-ride the course with the Yeti Beti's. They will host their women's ride at Bear Creek Park and give you a preview of the race course.

We hope to see you on the starting line. Online registration will be up this spring via Active.com. You can also sign up the old fashioned way via snail mail or if you see a Yeti Beti out on the trail.

For more detailed information, please visit www.betibikebash.com.

Rolling
    Damn.

I guess this means the boyz need a road trip to Trinidad!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Damn.

I guess this means the boyz need a road trip to Trinidad!
    It's probably just cheaper to go race ANY OTHER race this summer.

However, to ensure a truly fair race setting, we will adhere to USADA and UCI rules for gender testing.

mtbr member
    This is just killer. The real problem, however, is that it conflicts with the WP Hill Climb. I think you'll struggle to get attendance from established racers and even beginner racers whose husband or SO, just as an example, are racing Winter Park. That might even hamper your ability to get volunteers from the racing community. Just something to think about.

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    XC only?
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Reporterkyle
    This is just killer. The real problem, however, is that it conflicts with the WP Hill Climb. I think you'll struggle to get attendance from established racers and even beginner racers whose husband or SO, just as an example, are racing Winter Park. That might even hamper your ability to get volunteers from the racing community. Just something to think about.

Don't listen to the naysayers, no matter when any cycling event is scheduled in Colorado their is a compeating event. This is a great idea, and personally I would rather come watch an all women's mtbike event than race a hillclimb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker
    Don't listen to the naysayers, no matter when any cycling event is scheduled in Colorado their is a compeating event. This is a great idea, and personally I would rather come watch an all women's mtbike event than race a hillclimb.
    It is a great event and I certainly hope it is a success. I'd even like to see my wife, who has been toying with doing an XC race, participate. It would be an awesome event, too, for my daughters to see, but noting that it conflicts with another major XC race in Colorado is just a fact and it is a fact that it will be harder to get participation from the established racing community. Most teams racing WP and vying for points will encourage their riders to do the hill climb. Say what you want, but its the truth. Put it on another day -- Sunday June 13th for instance -- and you're guaranteed a bigger turn out from participants, volunteers and spectators and a greater chance of success. There's still time to change the date. It's not like it's next week or anything.

rubber side down
    I'd miss the hill climb for this...I'd actually miss the hill climb for pretty much anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by russman
    I'd miss the hill climb for this...I'd actually miss the hill climb for pretty much anything.
    I know you would.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Reporterkyle,
    We do apologize that there is a conflict with the WP Hill Climb. When we scheduled our race, we had several scheduling issues to contend with. Bigfoot Productions runs the Mountain States Cup, so we had to choose a weekend that there wasn't an MSC race. Then, we had limited weekends to run a race at Bear Creek as they only accept a few events per summer. Therefore, June 12 was really our only day. We knew we were most likely going to conflict with WP, but our target woman for this race is the first time, beginner women who would generally do not race the WP series.

We as a team feel that there are several factors for women with their desire in actually race their mountain bikes. The sport itself lends itself to be intimidating because of the terrain. Most XC races in Colorado feature very technical, steep terrain, and high altitude. Many of us love that challenge, but as a beginner, that's a lot to consider. Bear Creek was chosen because it's not technical, not steep, but can still offer a challenge for the first time racer. It's obviously close to the Denver metro area and will not require excessive travel more most who attend, so the cost is less than the typical CO race. We have all witnessed the tremendous growth in the women's only triathlon series and felt that a race like that could happen in mountain biking.

Of course we want to see our regular racing competitors at our race, but do understand they may be racing WP that weekend. I have gotten confirmation from several top professional women that they will be racing the Beti Bike Bash because they want to support more women racing. We're hoping to showcase the amazing pro talent in Colorado, as well as introduce our great sport to the many recreational women that we see riding all the time, but for whatever reason, have yet to show up to a start line.

I actually do not think we'll struggle to get women to this event. The Danskin women's series started in 1990 with a few hundred women and now, 20 years later, have upwards of 5000 women at their events. Most of their competitors are not the typical triathlete that races every weekend but the first timer who just wants to experience their own personal challenge with 4999 other women.

Amy

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity
    XC only?
    Sorry, XC only at Bear Creek.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It is a great event and I certainly hope it is a success. I'd even like to see my wife, who has been toying with doing an XC race, participate. It would be an awesome event, too, for my daughters to see, but noting that it conflicts with another major XC race in Colorado is just a fact and it is a fact that it will be harder to get participation from the established racing community. Most teams racing WP and vying for points will encourage their riders to do the hill climb. Say what you want, but its the truth. Put it on another day -- Sunday June 13th for instance -- and you're guaranteed a bigger turn out from participants, volunteers and spectators and a greater chance of success. There's still time to change the date. It's not like it's next week or anything.
    I could argue that since we are already permitted for June 12 and Winter Park does not have to contend with their own permits, they could change the date of the Hill Climb to June 13.

Unfortunately, we are locked into that date unless it rains. Then we will have June 13 as a back up date. It's not a bad thing that there are so many choices for our sport. It's what makes it so great for everyone.

AND, please have your daughters come out and race! We'll have young age groups and would love to see them out there. We are working with Kate Rau who is organizing the CO High School MTB League and hope to see many young juniors out on June 12. The beginner race is 10 miles, or they could team up with a 3 woman relay and race 5 miles each.

mtbr member
    I'm sure it will be a success. Good luck, Amy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Online Registration is now open

Please visit www.betibikebash.com for registration details.

Thanks!

crd
    ride like a girl
    Quote Originally Posted by amytco
    Please save the date for the first ever women's only mountain biking event on June 12, 2010.
    Thank you for putting this on! My daughter will be out racing, and I'll encourage her junior team, Black Sheep, to show up too!

Cheers,
    Carrie

Pivot Rider

Thanks Amy, Chelsea and Sarah

for coming out to the Dirt Divas Jersey Party on such a crappy night weather wise and sharing about your event!

Looks like you will be seeing a rather large contingent of the Divas out there racing (unfortunately, our racers will be at WP for the Hill Climb) but we are mainly about getting women into the sport of mtn biking. We look at this as an exceptional opportunity to get women out there and having fun!

Dirt Divas are there!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Carrie,
    We'd love if your daughter's JR team comes to race! I'm hoping we get a great contingency of young juniors out! Do you know if there are any other groups out there? I'll try to contact them.

Feel free to email me directly. amytco@gmail.com

Amy

percocet pioneer.
    This is so sexist.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The Beti Bike Bash is in 11 days! Don't miss it! You can sign up via Active.com or sign up in person on June 11 from 4-7pm at Golden Bike Shop. Late registration fee of $10 on race day.

We have a guaranteed goodie bag worth your entry fee! Come on out and bring your husbands/boyfriends/significant others/girlfriends out to support YOU!!

Everything you need to know is posted at www.betibikebash.com. Please email us at betibikebash@gmail.com for questions!

See you June 12!

Thread Terrorist
    Every single mtn biker guy will be there... I'm sure of it.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Every single mtn biker guy will be there... I'm sure of it.
    GREAT! We need volunteers as well. Email us if you'd like to spend a day watching women ride around! betibikebash@gmail.com

mtbr member

Huge props for the Beti Bash! Come one, come all!

So here is the deal...I race gravity: 4x, DS, and the occasional DH when I feel like it. I love shuttling Apex. I love shuttling 3 Sisters/Alderfer/Evergreen Lake. I love shuttling Dakota Ridge. I would shuttle the Platte River trail if it went just a little more downhill. I love the Mountain States Cup, and for the last 2-3 years my wife and young girls have been coming to my races and cheering me on regardless of how well or not that I did. Well, tonite, the Yeti Beti's gave a great pre-course ride to my girls (and about 75 other women) and I've just got to say...other race conflicts, family bbq's, bypass surgery, what have you show some gratitude and support and bring your wives and girls out to enjoy a girl's only race day! Unless you are a pro with huge sponsorship dollars and eternal glory on the line, why wouldn't you. At the end of the year what will you have lost by skipping whatever plans you may have "solid" in place? Not near as much as you will have gained by showing some support and encouragement to that Wife, GF, SO, or daughter for all those long hot race days they have allowed you to schlep them around the state(s) to support and cheer you on in your peter pan pursuit of pleasure. And who knows, maybe even feed the flame of competitive desire in that little one that will grow into a lifelong riding buddy that will be worth so much more than that mid pack finish in your Cat II (ok so you are gonna finish bottom third of Cat I this time) hill climb, or beer garden back yard bbq, or whatever else is more important than nurturing a love and appreciation for dirt bike riding and saying thanx for all the support they have given you these last few years. Not sorry for the soapbox...my girls really had a blast. They are tired, it was hard, they both are rolling older hardtails w/rigid forks, but they made it. Yaa, they walked some portion of the hills, no they didn't set the single track on fire. But before they went to bed, they both said they had a great time and learned something new about their bikes, the trail and themselves. So cool, and made possible by the Beti's. Come one, come all, girl's get your race on, boys, help make it happen with your support and encouragement!!! Oh yaa, my girls are 10 and 12. Bring out yo groms, bring out yo groms!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Edit: maybe if I read the last few posts I would've figured out what to do earlier on....sent an e-mail!

-Nick
    Last edited by gearwhine; 06-02-2010 at 08:28 AM.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by amytco
    GREAT! We need volunteers as well. Email us if you'd like to spend a day watching women ride around! betibikebash@gmail.com
    Based on my current condition, that may not be a bad idea!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Any husband or SO who wouldn't pass up the HC at WP so their wife/SO (particularly if she's a beginner) could do the Beti Bike Bash deserves to sleep outside with the dog.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast