Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007

Betasso Link Work

Anyone else feel the Betasso Link re-work is going to result in some serious injuries? They've turned that trail into a speedway, and I hope I'm not the one riding up when someone come flying down at 30mph unable to stop.

lucky enough
    Nice stonework on the link in some sections but those parts really constrict riders. I imagine some riders would prefer leaving some parts with big loose rocks available.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Betasso Link Work-betasso_link.jpg  

"Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    May 2013

Betasso Link Work

As someone who has already nearly been on the downhill part of this.... Yes. At least there is lots of of nice rocks on the side to cushion your fall!

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Stone work is great, I just wish they had added some obstacles to keep the speeds down on and the retain the difficulty level. The climb is definitely easier now, I was more than 30 seconds faster than pre trail work.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I'm muuuuch slower on the new sections than I was just bombing through the rocks. I agree some big berms or easy/hard options would be nice. But it was pretty scraggly through there. I've been riding it that way since 95, so I was used to it.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    I kind of get the idea that the two little rollers at the very bottom might send someone OTB pretty hard. Was standing at the bottom last week and saw a couple folks get sketched out over them. I'll kind of miss the rocks, but hopefully the new design is less prone to erosion.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    If you jump off the very last roller and are too far to the left you'll hit a large square edged chunk of concrete and get very hurt. I came close the 1st time I rode down. As long as you know it's there you can stay to the right and stay safe, but it would be very easy to make a first run mistake.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak View Post
    Nice stonework on the link in some sections but those parts really constrict riders. I imagine some riders would prefer leaving some parts with big loose rocks available.
    Give it a month or so. A couple solid days of torrential mountain rains and that'll loosen right up for ya.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I like new version. It's now about pumping, control and energy transformation. It is sort of addendum to Valmont Bike Park - and as far as I know the same people were involved in construction.
    For going fast through rocks we still have Walker (weekdays only ) - and I have heard good things about Left Hand OHV trails...

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I sincerely welcome the re-work. At least the current face of it.
    I revered the challenge of the climb of what was original to me (circa 10-ish years ago) but that got really destroyed a few years back. It became a deep, loose, hard to get traction kinda climb and the challenge of the climb got diluted by the destruction of the "trail tread". The new trail is very nice; totally different thing, much easier to climb, but very nice nevertheless.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    I personally am not a fan of 'flow trails'. I want regular old MTB trails with rocks and roots. Keep the flow trails to bike parks and resorts please.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    After living in Boulder for a few years, tonight I rode the link for the first time ever. Never really had the desire to ride up it, and this was the first time I've been able to car shuttle it. And Good. Lord.

I've never been more completely involved at every single moment in riding than I was on that downhill. Bitterbrush is for sure technically harder, but that downhill is broken up with me either falling off some rocks into a cactus, or just getting off the bike and hiking it down a few of the more absurd sections.

Coming down the first half of the Betasso link, I was damned excited, and having a ridiculous amount of fun. Then came the second half. The second half of the downhill, for me anyway, was just a seat of the pants borderline uncontrolled "oh **** I made that! I'm awesome ohmygod slowdown WhyCan'tISlowDown! Oh hell yea I made that too! where did the side go! don't fall off the siiiiiiiiide nice I made it" repeated ad nauseam. The most exciting downhill of my life to date.

There were three people(2 groups) coming up when we were on our way down, and very fortunately they were at opportune times for us to be able to pull over. I always try to yield to uphill riders if I can, and there were places near the end that there would be no way in hell I could stop without just dumping the bike off the trail. It just rolls really fast, even damned near fill braking and actively trying to shed speed. Such a fast section, relative to the terrain anyway.

So in summation, yes I think there will be some pretty major accidents eventually. It's just a matter of people coming down or going up at the wrong time. But man oh man is that an exciting downhill. I know it would be a major shitshow and this would anger a bunch of people, but I wouldn't complain if they made it downhill only, or maybe post a sign letting the uphill riders know that it can be really hard for a downhill rider to stop in parts, even if they're trying their best. Someone really will be trying to shed speed and just be unable to and slam into an oncoming rider unless the uphill yields.

Just my opinion though. Having gone downhill now, I can pretty much guarantee I'll never try the uphill there. I just don't feel like it's safe in that bottom section. Hell of a trail though. Hell of a trail.

lucky enough
    When I'm looking for a good test, that section of the link will tell me how I'm doing, so I like going up it. But I like going up in general anyway. And I agree with an earlier post that the bottom section is not quite as loose so I can make it most of the way up now. Those stone rollers seem to require good strength to get up them as the faces of them are a bit steep - but short.
    Thanks for the lowdown on how that section rides DH. I'll be on the lookout for almost out of control DHers.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Flow or "new school" trails are huge fun in my opinion. "Flow" only becomes mandatory after reaching certain speed level so they could be somewhat boring for climbing - unless there are rocks and roots to be jumped or float over when descending. On Front Range rocks it takes too much work to build flow trails properly - so we are not at risk of them taking over...
    This one worked out very well - thanks to Boulder park service and volunteers!

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Shred safely or slow it down.

Quote Originally Posted by dngrcnnn View Post
    ... first time I've been able to car shuttle it.

...there were places near the end that there would be no way in hell I could stop without just dumping the bike off the trail. It just rolls really fast, even damned near fill braking and actively trying to shed speed.

So in summation, yes I think there will be some pretty major accidents eventually. It's just a matter of people coming down or going up at the wrong time. ...it can be really hard for a downhill rider to stop in parts, even if they're trying their best. Someone really will be trying to shed speed and just be unable to and slam into an oncoming rider unless the uphill yields.
    You shuttled Betasso?

I've done it. I'm not a bad ass. You can stop ANYWHERE on that trail if you ride in control. There are speeds at which stopping quickly becomes more difficult (you can stop, but it takes longer) but it's still possible. That section is pretty wide open and you can see fairly far ahead. Granted, once you drop in you might not be able to see someone beginning at the very bottom. However, it is incumbent on the rider to be ALWAYS in control.

Don't get me wrong, I like to rip down and I'd love to go full speed on that sometime. Full speed would require an entirely open path or a hell of a lot more room to stop. The ONLY way I'd do that is if I knew for damn sure nobody was coming up. i.e. I'd have someone else spotting the route to let me know when it's clear.

Go bomb that trail! But make damn sure you're not going to hit and hurt anyone but yourself. If you can't get a spotter to ensure the way is clear then stay in control!!! Trust me, it's possible.