p0P

Best wheel building shop in Denver area?

Looking into my options right now. I would like to try it myself, but don't really have the time (work, kids, honey-do lists, etc.).
    Anyway, I have the hub & rim - just want some opinions as to where to take it...
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leepatrick33 View Post
    Looking into my options right now. I would like to try it myself, but don't really have the time (work, kids, honey-do lists, etc.).
    Anyway, I have the hub & rim - just want some opinions as to where to take it...
    Thanks
    Do it yourself. You'll need this: http://www.dtswiss.com/SpokesCalc/We...px?language=en

To use, you'll need the ERD of the rim (should typically be on the rim somewhere), and the hub spec. If King or Hadley, the specs are easy to find.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

p0P
    Thanks for the response, and please don't get me wrong - I would love to build it myself. I've never shied away from working on anything, but seriously, time (or lack of it) is a huge factor. I get like 2 hours a week to ride (including drive time to get to trailhead), and as I mentioned, there are many other obligations that I have to deal with in my life right now.
    I can ride on my old set of wheels for the time being - but they're much heavier, and I would really like to get this new set built up soon.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by leepatrick33 View Post
    Thanks for the response, and please don't get me wrong - I would love to build it myself. I've never shied away from working on anything, but seriously, time (or lack of it) is a huge factor. I get like 2 hours a week to ride (including drive time to get to trailhead), and as I mentioned, there are many other obligations that I have to deal with in my life right now.
    I can ride on my old set of wheels for the time being - but they're much heavier, and I would really like to get this new set built up soon.
    I'd recommend Pau11y. He'll try to brush you off, but be persistent. He's a good wheel builder. And he has lots of time on his hands what with being a single dude with no kids.

650b me
    I'll do it for $50 per wheel, plus cost of parts. PM me if you'd like to know more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I'd recommend Pau11y. He'll try to brush you off, but be persistent. He's a good wheel builder. And he has lots of time on his hands what with being a single dude with no kids.

Nice fail! GoldenBoy's ON it!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Oh - the other thing. Pau11y's a furriner (Canadian) so his grasp of the Engrish language is weak. You'll probably be able to get the wheels built for the price of a six pack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Oh - the other thing. Pau11y's a furriner (Canadian) so his grasp of the Engrish language is weak. You'll probably be able to get the wheels built for the price of a six pack.
    Oi! My Cannukistanian status has nothing to do w/ my grasp of Engrish. That's all my dielexcia and ADHD

Edit: Just think about that, and how long it'll take for me to build you a set of wheels with my...SQUIRREL!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm happy with a set built by Dave at Redstone (Lyons).

p0P
    Thanks for all the feedback. Any other shops people recommend for a good custom wheel build? (To the posters that offered to do it... please take no offense. I really do appreciate it - perhaps another time).

mtbr member
    Eric at pedal pushers is a really good wheelbuilder. I'd also bring a wheel to the guys at golden bike shop- they know their stuff. I build my own, but understand the life constraints- built my last set the day before my son was born and I'm so happy about the timing- otherwise, they'd have sat for the summer... If I have an hour or two, I'd rather be riding.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

p0P
    Oh yeah - I always forget about the shops in Golden (I'm in SW Littleton & work in the tech center). Plus since I've always done my own wrenching & I custom built my bike from the ground up, I've never really looked into shops' reputations as far as service/repair goes.

banned

instant gratification = FAIL

being a craftsman = WIN

mtbr member
    Call Nice Bike and ask for David. Best wheel builder I know.
    The best shop in town is Nice Bike!
    ridenicebike.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I second the recommendation for Golden Bike Shop. They laced up a pair of Stan's Arches for me this spring...I haven't had to re-true them after their break-in period...or for the following several hundred of miles. And that's on a single speed rigid, so I guess that would be a good sign!

mtbr member
    Golden Bike Shop. I've had 3 or 4 wheelsets built by them. My experience has been that they're fast and flawless.

--Mark

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    A friend of mine has extensive wheel building experience. Works at Performance in Westminster, but is going to open his own shop soon. Give him a call, his name is James.

ACC
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Philip at Salvagetti builds a killer wheel. If you are Denver, they are easy to get to and everyone is friendly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Philip at salvagetti. Do it. Now. You go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Philip at salvagetti. Do it. Now. You go.
    3 wheelsets by Phillip here....all fantastic. He just rocked the Bailey Hundo too!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    And you'll get to hang out with Joe. Do it.