mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Best way to ride devils backbone?

Hi,
    I'm planning on riding devils backbone near fort collins this (sat 19th) for the first time. I see that its a good connector for other rides too. Anybody got any tips on the best way to experience it?

Feel free to join me as well. (advanced intermediates in moderate shape)

Andre

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Starting at the main TH?

I almost always stay right at every junction, on the way out and the way back. Depending on how many miles you want to ride, link up with Blue Sky and go from there- just about all the trails out there are great.

feel the Force
    the best way is to not dab!
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

holding back the darkness
    You can stay right on the way out, but on the way back one of your rights will be a hiker/equine only...
    Riding from the Loveland end it's around 11ish miles to the Fort Collins end with options to loop that slightly shorter or longer. The northern end of Blue Sky ends up in Horsetooth Mtn Park and has a great variety of trails as well. There's 50+ miles there if you're creative.
    The basics are simple: head north from the Loveland trailhead. Stay on open trails. At the first opportunity to go in either direction at a "y" (there are several intersections but the bike travel is directed onto allowed trails) I recommend going left. There's a bit of climbing involved, but the left is generally considered to be more "rideable". The right is good too, but there are some tech moves that the uninitiated may be intimidated by. At the dar end of this loop you head north again and up over the ridge. You will drop into the valley after a few miles, ride the valley floor for a bit and will be presented with the option to do the Indian summer loop. It's short and sweet and is good in both directions so no use discriminating, ride it on the way out and hit it on the way back. You will then be directed back across the valley to the east intersecting next with coyote ridge/rimrock open space. If you're really feeling adventurous you can venture and over here for a 6/7(?) mile trek out to the road and back. I personally usually skip this and continue on to the North where you will find the end of the Blue Sky trail and the beginning of Soderberg open space. Soderberg and HT are fee areas and it cost $6 to ride here.
    Now turn around and reverse these steps back to the car. The signage is good and maps are posted at the major intersections.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjedi1
    the best way is to not dab!
    I never dab on the way down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Very good. Thanks smmokan and subliminalshiver for that input. I think I'm on the right track for a sweet ride!

Andre

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Just be sure to take lots of Water

The valley between the ridges gets somkin' hot during the day and there is no shade at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If you ride early in the day, be aware of Rattlesnakes on the trail.
    especially after the slight downhill past the 'rock junction' where the foot and multi-use trail intersect and start to head NE.
    EricN
    The flood of fixed gear bikes, small t-shirts, and womens jeans will saturate craigslist

To be continued
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    The valley between the ridges gets somkin' hot during the day and there is no shade at all.
    Not true, there are TWO shady spots - well, two trees, anyway.

Beware of snakes. The valley is full of them. Bring water. There's water at the upper/western HTMP trailhead past the end of Blue Sky if you need it.
    P3575303RDH

btx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ...on a weekday.

mtbr member
    Yes, weekdays or very very early. Also, if you find yourself in horse tooth head up into the mountains to stay away from the crowds.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You guys are spoiled. That is a great trail.

tempest... I do believe there are 3 trees. That water spout at the end is a bonus.

Thanks for the tips!

Goat of Legend
    drdre, I prefer to ride it taking all the lefts(except the hiker only) on the way out and the way back. Better flow to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    mountaingoatepics,

I think I might agree. The indian summer bit would give you the more natural downhill taking it clockwise - counter clockwise gets you downhill on that left right left section that feels like it was graded for a jeep to climb the ridge.

Also, clockwise on laughing horse would get you a fairly fast downhill on that snakeskin slickrock with the super technical on the other side being super technical either way.

That would be pretty fun. . . next time.