mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Best UST tire above 2.3 for front range / moab

Hello,

I am interested in hearing about your favorite tires for the front range that are size 2.3 or 2.35 and in UST.

I converted a Kenda Nevagal 2.35 stick-e to tubeless and I wasn't satisfied with the sidewalls. They kept burping even at high pressures.

I switched to Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3 UST tires which were heavy and did not stick on my fav rides like dakota ridge and apex. They didn't corner well on them or stick on slanty rock.

They did however kick ass in dirt and with the dirt season coming to an end, I am looking for some more appropriate tires.

Any suggestions???

Shattering Glass
    Maxxis ignitors are well rounded tires. Front range and moab are my primary riding area's and they handle rocks/sand and i"ve never had a flat in 7 months at this point but my stans needed to be refilled twice as it can dry out. I've run these tires at dangerously low pressures

rr
    I don't do PC
    Schwalbe Fat Albert, big for a 2.35 and excellent up front, not as good in back, the Maxxis HR 2.35 is great in the back but I(as well as others on a recent thread) had issues with the tread seperating from the tire carcass.

I heard the Sch Big Betty's(2.4) are in UST now as well, never tried them but I hear they are great front/rear

Big Boned
    I've been happy with my Specialized Enduro 2.4's. Fat n sticky, tough sidewalls. Me gusta.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Rolling
    This is easy. Schwalbe Big Betty, yo!

Tire Rave

Lots of front range converts. Unless the UST performs differently (I can't comment on the UST and burps), consider them for performance....I Like them much better than the kendas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Big Betty is the premiere heavy-duty trail tire here in CO. I only run USTs so I run Alberts but would recommend Fat Alberts and Maxxis Minions (non-UST only). I'm lookkng forward to the UST Big Betty.

mtbr member

Panaracer Rampage?

Has anyone tried the Panaracer Rampage 2.35? It is available in a 29", UST, or a regular version. I have had great luck with the Panaracer Cinder, but it isn't available in UST.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    I've been happy with my Specialized Enduro 2.4's. Fat n sticky, tough sidewalls. Me gusta.
    Sorry Mountainman, I have to disagree with the Enduros. I had such a bad experience with mine (on Monarch of all places) I have to tell. Sidewalls just gave out in multiple spots, and I was running them at 45psi. Not sure why it happened (I am sorta big and harsh on my bike), but duck tape fixed the issue so I could get down (after 3 flats). It has also happened another time on Hall. I took the tires back to Bicycle Village and they swapped them out for new ones...they are now on the wifes bike. I just dont think Enduros can take the abuse of regular heavy rides (like Apex/Dakota...also my favorites)

I am now a Maxxis fan. Maxxis Minion DH on front, Kenda Nevegel on back. They dont seem to affect speed on the flats, and the Maxxis is just a beast out in front, very stable.
    Not a big fan of tubeless in general, either. Especially for rides with lots of pointy rocks and speed (ApexEnchanted/Chim Chim/ Dakota)
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Fubar Rider
    Has anyone tried the Panaracer Rampage 2.35? It is available in a 29", UST, or a regular version. I have had great luck with the Panaracer Cinder, but it isn't available in UST.
    The Rampages are great in terms of handling, but the 26" versions have very thin casings for tubeless conversion. Had to patch mine multiple times, which is why I wound up with my Enduros. -edit- I haven't seen the UST versions yet? /edit

Oddly, I also have them on my 29er wheelset, on Stan's Flow rims, converted, and they've been problem-free. But then, I don't beat on that bike as much as I do my 26er.

Don't know what to say about others' experience with Enduros. Mine are the UST tubeless-specifc Pro version, not the tubed Pro or the tubed Sport which are much lighter, so maybe that's the difference. At over 900 grams, they're plenty beefy.

I'm 225 lbs, and I ride very rough terrain with lots of sharp rocks -- as bad and much worse than Apex in many places. I've been running them hard since the middle of July and haven't had any problems. They're on CrossMax SX's so they blow up nice and fat. I had one flat when I ran over a sharp piece of rebar that punctured between the tread and left a good 1.5-cm slit, which would have flatted any UST tire. I like the big shoulder knobs for loose stuff, and the fairly sticky rubber. All I can say is, they work for me.

friend of Apex
    Don't know what to say about others' experience with Enduros. Mine are the UST tubeless-specifc Pro version, not the tubed Pro or the tubed Sport which are much lighter, so maybe that's the difference. At over 900 grams, they're plenty beefy.
    Tubed Pro are the ones that gave me serious issues.
    Just not sure why Specialized would put out such a poor product. Never had issues like that with any other product, and it happened twice (dont ask why I continued after the first time)

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Tubed Pro are the ones that gave me serious issues.
    Just not sure why Specialized would put out such a poor product. Never had issues like that with any other product, and it happened twice (dont ask why I continued after the first time)
    Does the term "Umma Gumma" ring any bells? Not the new DH-specific stuff, but the original stuff circa 1992. $50 tires whose tread flew off the casings in big chunks. Total trash.

Specialized's history with MTB tires has been very hit or miss. The good ones tend to be very good, the bad ones tend to suck Cartman's balls. I was a big fan of the Team Master / Team Control for XC back in 96-97, but then they cut down the tread and released them with a different name, and they got too squirrely for my taste.

And I have to admit, I was very dubious about the Enduros before I got them -- but I needed new tires ASAP and they came highly recommended by someone whose opinion I trust, so I took a chance. I've been pleasantly surprised. I also hear good things about the Chunder S-Works DH.

mtbr member

Two entirely different questions

The front range is dusty and loose as all hell. Moab is slick rock.

I like Conti Verticals for the Front Range- everything about them except the spendy-ness. Moab, I don't go there enough to have a good recommendation. I usually throw on the Panaracer Fires for Moab because slick rock shreds tires and at least they're inexpensive.

For the record, and before someone corrects me, I know the Fires aren't 2.3's.The Conti Verts ARE however and they hookup great around here.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Does the term "Umma Gumma" ring any bells? Not the new DH-specific stuff, but the original stuff circa 1992. $50 tires whose tread flew off the casings in big chunks. Total trash.

Worst tire compound EVER!

Inflexable...
    SB8, SB8, SB8...only in the 2.35 though...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

friend of Apex
    Specialized's history with MTB tires has been very hit or miss. The good ones tend to be very good, the bad ones tend to suck Cartman's balls.
    Is that you Jerry?
    Having a such a poor experience with Specialized Tubed Enduro Pros, I will no longer buy any of their tires. I also ride an Stumpy 120; great bike, but my next bike may not be a Specialized.
    Last edited by WKD-RDR; 10-28-2007 at 07:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kchri
    SB8, SB8, SB8...only in the 2.35 though...
    converted to tubeless w/ Stan's. They work great.
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

Inflexable...
    Quote Originally Posted by sandan
    converted to tubeless w/ Stan's. They work great.

agreed!!!
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I guess my front range trails like hall ranch, dakota ridge, apex, white ranch, have a considerable amount of loose rock but so do the rides I enjoy in moab. i.e. porcupine rim, amosa back. I do agree that slickrock is a completely different animal because everything sticks on it, some too well.

Thanks to everyone for the tire recommendations. I can't wait to try them out and get ride of these cont barricoudas.