mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Best trails for this Saturday?

Weather forcast is warm and dry through Saturday. Any bets on what Denver area/front range trails (other than Green Mountain) are going to be in the best condition for riding this weekend?

mtbr member

sorry to say, but they are all pretty messy right now

Not been warm enough to dry anything up, just warm enough to start melting the snow. Should be sloppy on Sturday just about everywhere, green mtn may be ok

Preemptive Revenger

Moab!

warm front + front range snowed in => Moab baby!

Cheap hotels, lonely single track, firm sand, and grippy rock!

Cynical Bystander
    The springs should be dry....been mid 40s all week and is supposed to be even warmer from tomorrow to sunday. We havent had snow for a few days so you should be alright most places.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    The springs should be dry....been mid 40s all week and is supposed to be even warmer from tomorrow to sunday. We havent had snow for a few days so you should be alright most places.
    I'm thinking about riding down there tomorrow. Can you help me out? What's the best way to loop a long, fun ride up to Capt Jacks and back? I'd like to hook up about 20 fun miles, but am unfamiliar with the system. I think I'd like to go up Chutes to Gold Camp, but don't know where to park to hook that up.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

BIKES!!!!
    Mar 2004
    I rode palmer park today and it was perfect, the trails were dry and tacky
    i would recomend palmer for saturday, but it will probably be packed with people

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkid
    I rode palmer park today and it was perfect, the trails were dry and tacky
    i would recomend palmer for saturday, but it will probably be packed with people
    Keaton you shoudl have called me for riding today. I've been sitting on my ass too long with no riding involved.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

"I want it now!"
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    I'm thinking about riding down there tomorrow. Can you help me out? What's the best way to loop a long, fun ride up to Capt Jacks and back? I'd like to hook up about 20 fun miles, but am unfamiliar with the system. I think I'd like to go up Chutes to Gold Camp, but don't know where to park to hook that up.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    let me know what you come up with tomorrow? be thinking about a ride for saturday. talk later.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruca Salt
    let me know what you come up with tomorrow? be thinking about a ride for saturday. talk later.
    Hey girl, I'm looking at checking out some rides in Monument. I heard there's some good stuff there. I'm gonna call the guys at Balanced Rock and check it out.

mtbr member

Good job!

TVC15,

I'm looking at checking out some rides in Monument. I heard there's some good stuff there. I'm gonna call the guys at Balanced Rock and check it out.
    How about posting the info you get. I've never ridden down that way and am looking for something to ride on Saturday.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by sandan
    TVC15, How about posting the info you get. I've never ridden down that way and am looking for something to ride on Saturday.
    Hey Sandan! Nice to see you! Well, I scoped out Mt. Herman. There's a lot of trails at the base of the mountain that meander and all kinda loop together. Supposedly you can link up 20 miles on them, but they're not marked and some are covered in snow so it's hard to explore if you don't know your way around. The conditions of the trails that I rode were OK, but honestly? It just wasn't my thing. I like long, scenic, challenging, sensicle, technical, singletrack rides. Ones that have more climbing on the front end than on the back end. Ideally trails that loop. And this, wasn't that. It wasn't anything close to that.

After looping what I could at the base -- twice -- I rode a ways up Mt. Herman Road just to get a freaking sweat going. It's a jeep road. You're supposed to be able to ride it to the top and then take some singletrack down (the Limbaugh Trail -- ha) but the singletrack down is unridable this time of year, so to do it you have to do a long climb on a jeep road, and come down another jeep road.

Sandan, if you're really interested in just getting to know the area, my friends at Balanced Rock Bike Shop in Monument are riding that same ride tomorrow. You can meet them (ask for Tim) at 10:00a at the shop if you're interested. It probably won't be the best ride in the world given what trails are ridable now, but the locals will help you get your bearings on the trails, because nothing (and I mean nothing), is marked. That alone might make the day worthwhile.

But at this point I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow now. My Monument ride was disappointing, and reminded me why I don't like riding in the Springs. Trails just aren't long or challenging enough -- or I'm riding the wrong stuff which is entirely possible.

Anyway, the good news is that driving back on I-25 the foothills look much, much better than they did earlier in the week. Has anyone heard anything about front range conditions? I'm tempted to ride WR tomorrow. Something, anything that will amount to a real ride.

Barring that, Veruca, I'm gonna spin. There's a 2-hour class at my gym that starts at 8:30a (Athletic Club at Denver Place, 17th and Curtis downtown). If you're interested, I can leave you a guest pass at the front desk under your name. Lemme know ...

"I want it now!"
    Hey Sandan! Nice to see you! Well, I scoped out Mt. Herman. There's a lot of trails at the base of the mountain that meander and all kinda loop together. Supposedly you can link up 20 miles on them, but they're not marked and some are covered in snow so it's hard to explore if you don't know your way around. The conditions of the trails that I rode were OK, but honestly? It just wasn't my thing. I like long, scenic, challenging, sensicle, technical, singletrack rides. Ones that have more climbing on the front end than on the back end. Ideally trails that loop. And this, wasn't that. It wasn't anything close to that.

After looping what I could at the base -- twice -- I rode a ways up Mt. Herman Road just to get a freaking sweat going. It's a jeep road. You're supposed to be able to ride it to the top and then take some singletrack down (the Limbaugh Trail -- ha) but the singletrack down is unridable this time of year, so to do it you have to do a long climb on a jeep road, and come down another jeep road.

Sandan, if you're really interested in just getting to know the area, my friends at Balanced Rock Bike Shop in Monument are riding that same ride tomorrow. You can meet them (ask for Tim) at 10:00a at the shop if you're interested. It probably won't be the best ride in the world given what trails are ridable now, but the locals will help you get your bearings on the trails, because nothing (and I mean nothing), is marked. That alone might make the day worthwhile.

But at this point I don't know what I'm doing tomorrow now. My Monument ride was disappointing, and reminded me why I don't like riding in the Springs. Trails just aren't long or challenging enough -- or I'm riding the wrong stuff which is entirely possible.

Anyway, the good news is that driving back on I-25 the foothills look much, much better than they did earlier in the week. Has anyone heard anything about front range conditions? I'm tempted to ride WR tomorrow. Something, anything that will amount to a real ride.

Barring that, Veruca, I'm gonna spin. There's a 2-hour class at my gym that starts at 8:30a (Athletic Club at Denver Place, 17th and Curtis downtown). If you're interested, I can leave you a guest pass at the front desk under your name. Lemme know ...
    its suppose to be warm tomorrow so im going to attempt to ride either here or in the springs. i was thinking of white ranch as well. are you up for giving it a try?

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Black Flag or Bowie? Make up your mind!

You're not riding the right trails. Try Captain Jacks and the other trails in the same area. Haven't ridden there lately so don't know the conditions but Kristian would. It's a great MTB area and IMHO much better than anything in the Denver Front Range area and I've been riding here 15-years. There are some decent trails I've ridden with friends in Monument but some of the Monument folks I know were also riding Palmer. Monument always gets more snow.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruca Salt
    its suppose to be warm tomorrow so im going to attempt to ride either here or in the springs. i was thinking of white ranch as well. are you up for giving it a try?
    Based on what's posted in Jdub's thread, I very reluctantly will have to pass. And trust me, it's killing me. I'm telling you girl, Matthews Winters had a crap load of snow on it as of Tuesday; and that horrid, awful, heavy, evil mud. I don't think Arwen or my conscience could take another ride like that. Maybe, hopefully, Sunday some FR trails will have dried out and we can ride then.

I'll be at the gym tomorrow. Doesn't sound like you're into the spin thing. Give me a call if you change your mind. And have fun ... PS: Let's watch Fruita conditions and try to make it over there before Christmas. We'll need a convertible. And a couple of scarves. hahaha.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Black Flag or Bowie? Make up your mind!
    I had to change my user title recenlty and didn't want to change my avatar. Not only does it kick ass, I just think it's weird and confusing when people change their avatar; especially the ones who change it about once a week. (And, if you wanna give me some shyte, there's a much bigger leap to criticize between my user title and signature, trust me.)

Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    You're not riding the right trails. Try Captain Jacks and the other trails in the same area. Haven't ridden there lately so don't know the conditions but Kristian would. It's a great MTB area and IMHO much better than anything in the Denver Front Range area and I've been riding here 15-years. There are some decent trails I've ridden with friends in Monument but some of the Monument folks I know were also riding Palmer. Monument always gets more snow.
    Thanks for the advice. I have ridden Capt Jack's, and frankly I was unimpressed. I liked how fast the trail was, but it wasn't very technical. And I'm unfamiliar with the system so I don't think I hooked it up right to get a good, satisfying loop with the right "rythym" done. Every time I ride in the Springs I feel like all I got was teased and just drive home irritated.

I have a map of the Cheyenne Mountain trails. What loop would you recommend that's fairly long (25 miles) with a high fun factor? Lots of climbing is good too. Thanks for your advice (... and service to our great country).

mtbr member

Good job!

TVC15,

Thanks for t he 411, everything uphere in FRville seems rotten muddy. I'm thinking of heading out towards Buffalo Creek since I think the sand won't be so muddy. But by the time I get my kids on ther eway I may only have time to ride the road. If I make it to BC I'll post and clue y'all in.

icegeek is hot
    TVC15,

Thanks for t he 411, everything uphere in FRville seems rotten muddy. I'm thinking of heading out towards Buffalo Creek since I think the sand won't be so muddy. But by the time I get my kids on ther eway I may only have time to ride the road. If I make it to BC I'll post and clue y'all in.
    PLEASE update me on BC, Sandan. I'd love to get out there as soon as it's dry. Update to you, and apologies to DWF: I decided to go to Colorado Springs anyway today and give it another shot and FINALLY did Capt Jack's "right," (meaning going up the Chutes to Gold Camp to Buckhorn, down Upper Capt Jack's, to Lower Capt Jacks, down the Chutes and back). It was fun. And worth doing. Even considering the drive. However, Chutes and Capt Jacks both need to be three miles longer, and then you'd really have yourself something. It's still too dang short. And in need of more rocks.

The great news about this ride is that (according to locals) today's conditions are generally as bad as it gets, it dries very quickly, and the conditions were good. There were some snowy spots and a little slush but extremely ridable and no mud. A great ride to get your fix when FR trails are rotten muddy.

Veruca: sorry I didn't call, we left early on a whim. If the weather holds maybe tomorrow we can ride in town. If I'm not too hungover.

"I want it now!"
    Based on what's posted in Jdub's thread, I very reluctantly will have to pass. And trust me, it's killing me. I'm telling you girl, Matthews Winters had a crap load of snow on it as of Tuesday; and that horrid, awful, heavy, evil mud. I don't think Arwen or my conscience could take another ride like that. Maybe, hopefully, Sunday some FR trails will have dried out and we can ride then.

I'll be at the gym tomorrow. Doesn't sound like you're into the spin thing. Give me a call if you change your mind. And have fun ... PS: Let's watch Fruita conditions and try to make it over there before Christmas. We'll need a convertible. And a couple of scarves. hahaha.

ok louise, sounds good. i got out this afternoon at matthews/dakota. it was real good until the north face which was pretty sloppy. should have turned around at the top and rode the south face back. dakota ridge was free of snow including the saddle. im up for fruita with some notice...if possible. i did look at bikes yesterday at sports garage. looking at that ellsworth moment and the new titus moto-lite. we'll see. ill be in touch.

"I want it now!"
    PLEASE update me on BC, Sandan. I'd love to get out there as soon as it's dry. Update to you, and apologies to DWF: I decided to go to Colorado Springs anyway today and give it another shot and FINALLY did Capt Jack's "right," (meaning going up the Chutes to Gold Camp to Buckhorn, down Upper Capt Jack's, to Lower Capt Jacks, down the Chutes and back). It was fun. And worth doing. Even considering the drive. However, Chutes and Capt Jacks both need to be three miles longer, and then you'd really have yourself something. It's still too dang short. And in need of more rocks.

The great news about this ride is that (according to locals) today's conditions are generally as bad as it gets, it dries very quickly, and the conditions were good. There were some snowy spots and a little slush but extremely ridable and no mud. A great ride to get your fix when FR trails are rotten muddy.

Veruca: sorry I didn't call, we left early on a whim. If the weather holds maybe tomorrow we can ride in town. If I'm not too hungover.
    thats ok. i was a little under the weather this morning so a short ride was best for me. stay out of trouble tonight! the temperature is suppose to drop thirty degrees by tomorrow. let me know the good news.

mtbr member

Good job!

I never made it to BC. I got as far as Myers Ranch which was alled snowed in, so I thought that BC wouldn't be any better. I ended up riding Falcon form the bottom. It's time to put the snow tires on. It took me almost twice as long to climb that snowy b@st@rd. Did watch some guy just fly right up it.
    Nice report on Capt'n Jacks, btw. Maybe this weekend or Friday, since I'm probobly going to take the day off.

icegeek is hot
    I never made it to BC. I got as far as Myers Ranch which was alled snowed in, so I thought that BC wouldn't be any better. I ended up riding Falcon form the bottom. It's time to put the snow tires on. It took me almost twice as long to climb that snowy b@st@rd. Did watch some guy just fly right up it.
    Nice report on Capt'n Jacks, btw. Maybe this weekend or Friday, since I'm probobly going to take the day off.
    Hey Sandan -- thanks for the report about Buffalo Creek. I'll wait a few days before heading down to ride thataway ... By the way, I'm off on Friday too (and Thursday for that matter, the ususal end of year use or lose vacation time ...) anyway, by then some Front Range rides will be open and I'm hoping to do a couple. Specifically, either Bergen or Twisted Sister (Alderfer Three Sisters starting at Didisse Park), or even White Ranch, if trail conditions allow. If you want to ride together on Friday, lemme know. If FR conditions are still poor, I'd be happy to meet you in the Springs and show you the Capt Jacks loop I did on Saturday.

Veruca: can you play hooky on Thursday or Friday?

mtbr member

Good job!

Hey Sandan -- thanks for the report about Buffalo Creek. I'll wait a few days before heading down to ride thataway ... By the way, I'm off on Friday too (and Thursday for that matter, the ususal end of year use or lose vacation time ...) anyway, by then some Front Range rides will be open and I'm hoping to do a couple. Specifically, either Bergen or Twisted Sister (Alderfer Three Sisters starting at Didisse Park), or even White Ranch, if trail conditions allow. If you want to ride together on Friday, lemme know. If FR conditions are still poor, I'd be happy to meet you in the Springs and show you the Capt Jacks loop I did on Saturday.

Veruca: can you play hooky on Thursday or Friday?
    Friday is good. All of those rides work for me. Let's figure it out on Wednesday so we can modify plans on Thursday id need be.
    PM me, oh yeah clean up your PM inbox so you can get messages.
    Veruca, you in?