Front Range, Colorado

Best trail drainage in Fort Collins / Loveland

Which trail / trails have the best drainage after precipitation in Loveland Fort Collins. Just wondering what trails dry out the quickest. I have been hitting the Devils Backbone and noticed it has a fairly good drainage due to the dg / decomposed granite. Are there some others that dry out quicker?
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    When's the last time you rode a winter with snow? There's a ton of factors about which trail might be "rideable". Composition of the soil is probably #1: decomposed granite--good but rare. Slickassnot mud, typical. Some trails have long standing snow drifts in the shady areas that melt slowly so the trail below is continually wet.

Some have long hills that are in the shade and freeze up into a sheet of ice that lasts most of the winter. Some long sections of some trails are in the bright sun and dry out fairly quickly.

I haven't answered your question have I? I don't know anything about the trails in your area, sorry.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    When's the last time you rode a winter with snow? There's a ton of factors about which trail might be "rideable". Composition of the soil is probably #1: decomposed granite--good but rare. Slickassnot mud, typical. Some trails have long standing snow drifts in the shady areas that melt slowly so the trail below is continually wet.

Some have long hills that are in the shade and freeze up into a sheet of ice that lasts most of the winter. Some long sections of some trails are in the bright sun and dry out fairly quickly.

I haven't answered your question have I? I don't know anything about the trails in your area, sorry.
    Ha,ha good try but no you haven't answered my question. And yes everything you mentioned makes sense and I have dealt with all these trail conditions in wet conditions. I know you know I recently moved "back" to Colorado from a long stay in San Diego. Popular belief is San Diego is all beaches and babes. But there is a mountain range just 30 minutes east before you drop into the desert. The Laguna mountains produce a fair amount of snow. Most of the best trails in the San Diego region are located up there. I'm sure you have heard of Noble Canyon, anyway we have to deal with snow and rain on these trails and figure out best trails to use after precipitation. So the question remains "what trails are best after precipitation in the Loveland / Fort Collins area"
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

boxcar
    Ginny trail at Bobcat Ridge drys pretty quick. The Ranger out there(FCNA on MTBR) is good about posting when it is closed and when it re-opens as well.
    Last edited by mtn.skratch; 11-10-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: add info

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn.skratch View Post
    Ginny trail at Bobcat Ridge drys pretty quick. The Ranger out there(FCNA on MTBR) is good about posting when it is closed and when it re-opens as well.
    Yeah I have ridden that trail it's pretty fun. So how do you know if it is open or not without driving out there to see.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

boxcar
    You can check in here:

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn.skratch View Post
    You can check in here:

Cool thanks!
    Anyone else with trail suggestions that dry out quick?
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

slow
    The West Ridge service road and the Towers service road in Horsetooth Mountain Park are both decent options when things are wet. Several other trails in the park tend to drain pretty well as long as you avoid Nomad and Shoreline in the valley.

The Original Suspect
    I rode Blue Sky/Indian Summer fairly soon after the last snow a couple of weeks ago and they dried up well.

troll
    Sep 2011
    I rode Blue sky/Indian Summer yesterday around noon and it was good until the fire road linking blue sky to Indian summer. Wound up walking the section so I wouldn't make ruts.
    I second the Ginny trail drying fast.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    The West Ridge service road and the Towers service road in Horsetooth Mountain Park are both decent options when things are wet. Several other trails in the park tend to drain pretty well as long as you avoid Nomad and Shoreline in the valley.
    I think sgltrak meant Southridge, not West Ridge.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin View Post
    I think sgltrak meant Southridge, not West Ridge.
    Yep.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I was hiking devils backbone today and it was dry and rideable

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Everything in FoCo was dry today (11/12), including the upper trails of HTMP. A little snow here and there, but not enough to make mud.

Front Range, Colorado
    Thanks for all the input everyone. But from these responses perhaps I should adjust the question. Looks like all the above trails drain rather quick. Maybe I should ask "what trail or trails are a mud bath after precipitation" around Loveland / Fort Collins. And should be especially avoided.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Thanks for all the input everyone. But from these responses perhaps I should adjust the question. Looks like all the above trails drain rather quick. Maybe I should ask "what trail or trails are a mud bath after precipitation" around Loveland / Fort Collins. And should be especially avoided.
    Welcome to Front Range winter riding.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    The Lory valley trails are generally pretty bad mud wise. Blue Sky stays muddy for a bit. Maxwell / Shoreline stays muddy as well, though not as bad as above. My go to trails are, in order, Ginny 1st, Southridge to Wathan 2nd, then whatever I see on the FCGOV site, which is updated quite regularly. & as mentioned, the ranger posts up quite a bit this time of year to update trails as well.

All in all, Ginny is the most consistent trail I ride in winter probably.