mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Best time of year?

If I had to schedule a business trip to Denver and Golden, what would be the best time of year if I wanted to sneak in a ride too. Nothing to epic, but it would be nice to rent a bike and take an extra day to explore. (Last time I rented and rode from Bent Gate (or something like that) cycles, and took a singletrack up a climb to some nature center at the top of a mountain. Great views, fun trails, etc. Would love something like that again, but maybe a little longer).

But really, I'm mostly looking for time of year recommendations, so that I can schedule the trip. Unfortunately, I need a few weeks notice, as "now" is not possible.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

not actually bad :)
    Schedule now for a few weeks from now.
    Should be the best weather. Still fairly cool.
    I think we'll be done with the snow by then.
    Sounds like you rode Chimney Gulch.
    If you want, climb that again, then loop it with Apex. If that's not enough, you can ride road from the bottom of Apex for 10 minutes and access Dakota Ridge and Matthews Winters as well.
    Old Codger

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    September.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ditto on September.

If you don't want to wait 4 months, anytime in the summer is fine, you just have to plan ahead to avoid mid-day heat and late-day T-storms. There is much to be said about evening rides in the sum, sum, summertime...

650b me
    My vote is for mid-September to mid-October....if you're willing to wait that long. Least chance of snow or rain. Bluebird skies. Crisp, cool air. Ahhh.....

Awesomist™
    I know of a pretty good ride that goes down on the first Saturday in November... if you're in town around then.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker
    I know of a pretty good ride that goes down on the first Saturday in November... if you're in town around then.
    You know... this ride kicks so much a$$ I'd have to recommend early Nov to the OP.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Don't worry about it. Summer is fine.
    I'm looking forward to summer riding - is anyone else?

Don't let us overanalyze it for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool, thanks. So (executive summary). September would be Ideal, but any time between now and then will work.

Once I make plans, I may be posting up to see if anyone wants to meet a short, fat, bald East Coaster to give a tour. (Actually, I'm no racer, but I can hold my own. Just don't kill me.) ;-)

Thanks again for the feedback, very helpful.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius