mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Best Sustained Mountain Bike Descents in Colorado

I have not seen a list of trails that is specific to long ripping downhill runs. I am looking for trails that are either shuttled or partly shuttled or have a profile that looks like an upside down 'V'. Trails like Monarch Crest and Kennosha Pass should not be on this list, Yes those are great trails but they are not sustained downhills. The trails I am thinking are fast gravity trails and are not super pedally, more like:
    Lenawee
    Kennebec Pass
    Wheeler Trail
    Warren Gulch
    Doctors Park
    Engineer Mountain/Cascade Creek

what others should be on this list?

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    your thread title and yous post are not consistent. Monarch and Kenosha may be pedally as a whole, but have miles of sustained downhill (off Georgia Pass and off the Crest via whatever trail you choose) every bit equal to the ones you mention. Are you just looking for something where you can push your bike uphill and never have to pedal? Because Kennebec has a big climb in the middle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yeah Kennebec has a huge climb in the middle but once you climb it your done with climbing and heading on another long sustained downhill sections, Georgia pass down to Tiger Run rd is a good one but Georgia Pass down to Jefferson Creek (the Kenosha Pass portion) is not that fast of a downhill. Monarch Crest (the standard route) just has Silver Creek and that is a small part of the ride. I have not ridden Agate, so maybe that should be on the list. The rest of the Crest trail proper is pretty flat with over 3000 feet of climbing all mixed in, so you descend 10 seconds then climb then repeat. What are the ripper DH runs that you are actually hauling mail on for more than 10 minutes?

mtbr member
    Hall Ranch (5 miles of almost entirely downhill from the top of the loop)
    Bobcat Ridge (from the top of Powerline)
    Buffalo Creek, Charlie's - Homestead - Sandy Wash
    401 in Crested Butte

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The best sustained mountain bike descents in Colorado are actually in Utah.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
    Yeah Kennebec has a huge climb in the middle but once you climb it your done with climbing and heading on another long sustained downhill sections, Georgia pass down to Tiger Run rd is a good one but Georgia Pass down to Jefferson Creek (the Kenosha Pass portion) is not that fast of a downhill. Monarch Crest (the standard route) just has Silver Creek and that is a small part of the ride. I have not ridden Agate, so maybe that should be on the list. The rest of the Crest trail proper is pretty flat with over 3000 feet of climbing all mixed in, so you descend 10 seconds then climb then repeat. What are the ripper DH runs that you are actually hauling mail on for more than 10 minutes?
    Georgia Pass down to Breck has 3 climbs in it, one pretty huge (but is certainly epic riding). And Georgia Pass down to Jefferson Creek is pretty darned fast and sustained no matter which trail you choose.

As for the Crest, try Starvation Creek and get back to us with your 10 second descent assessment. Haven't done Green, Fooses, or Agate, but I *suspect* they have more than 10 seconds of downhill too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I donít know any of the Wasatch trails but judging by how sick the skiing is at Snowbird and Alta Iím sure they have some sweet mountain bike descents. In Moab you really only have the Enchilada. I know it is going to sound like blasphemy but the only ripping parts of Whole Enchilada are Burro and Hazard, the rest needs to be tilted downward about 5 degrees more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yeah raced Starvation in the Vapor 125, it was fun on the XC bike but needs a little more downward pitch, fun trail though, even after 90 miles of riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The Colorado Trail from West Ridge all the way down past Keystone Ranch Road (on stage 2 of the Breck Epic) is frickin' amazing. If it's not raining.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Addicted to Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    The best sustained mountain bike descents in Colorado are actually in Utah.
    Not Limon? Weird...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ingluis View Post
    Not Limon? Weird...
    Dude. STFU. You can't just let the cat out of the bag like that.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pedally?

Oh, you mean mountain biking.

I'm with stupid

Love me the drop into starvation creek. I hear there is some good trails down off a 14er.

I tapped that

mtbr member
    I think the CO trail that goes up and over west ridge and down to dredgeboat trailhead is a great descent.

@2whlfun
    Aug 2008
    Steamboat has a few. Ridge, emerald mntn, Rabbit Ears, not to mention most other ski resorts.
    2016 Spot rollik557, 2012 Rumblefish Elite, 2015 Minnesota 2 Fatbike, 2010 Superfly 100 Carbon, 2016 Fuji Transonic roadie

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah Kennebec has a huge climb in the middle but once you climb it your done with climbing and heading on another long sustained downhill sections, Georgia pass down to Tiger Run rd is a good one but Georgia Pass down to Jefferson Creek (the Kenosha Pass portion) is not that fast of a downhill.
    Your post is confusing in its requirements... You list Wheeler... yet disqualify Georgia to Kenosha for not being "that fast" whatever "that" is...

I'll offer up Barr- but only if you pedal to the top- shuttling is for pussies.

mtbr member
    1. as mentioned, west ridge on CO trail in Breck: sustained climb up, then down back to dredge boat.

2. 2 elk trail: ride up vail 100% up, down the back bowls to minturn 100% down, an upside down V.

3.evergreen mountain trail at 3 sisters park; counter clockwise, not epic, but close to front range. up then down.

"We're only bike terrorists, 5:30, second Friday, Berkley BART" -Jeff Ott, fifteen

mtbr member
    The jones descent is wild.

Grouse to BTR to Spring Creek in Steamboat

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Warren Gulch, just rode it for the first time. The only front range DH mentioned that I had to stop three times to rest my hands. Its a 5 mile downhill, and its really f-ing fast, if you can handle it. I could not.

friend of Apex
    Apex (not quite 10 min, but great stuff)
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Searle pass as an in and out. Or over the Camp Hale, but Searle is a much funnerer downhill IMHO. Same with Ptarmigan trail. I think those two might be the only two trails that I like as in>outs

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Monolith77 View Post
    The jones descent is wild.
    So would this be riding up to Jones pass from the henderson mine, go south on CTD to Herman Gulch and get loose all the way to I-70? That looks good!

Chronic 1st-timer
    So would this be riding up to Jones pass from the henderson mine, go south on CTD to Herman Gulch and get loose all the way to I-70? That looks good!
    Not quite.
    From Jones Pass to the high point is a tough hour +/-, then you get a good descent, until you have to climb again to get to Herman Lake.
    From there to I-70 is allgood. (unless you go on a weekday it'll be overrun w/humanoids)

Starvation, Greens, Fooses? Mmmm mmm good!
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Love me the drop into starvation creek. I hear there is some good trails down off a 14er.
    lies...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Searle pass as an in and out. Or over the Camp Hale, but Searle is a much funnerer downhill IMHO. Same with Ptarmigan trail. I think those two might be the only two trails that I like as in>outs
    it looks good from Kokomo to Hale too. Form a pure speed railing corners what is the best direction to go? Ptarmigan down looks sweet!

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WilburKookmeyer View Post
    lies...
    pretty sure i saw Bigfoot at 1:45
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yes Please! more of that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    it looks good from Kokomo to Hale too. Form a pure speed railing corners what is the best direction to go? Ptarmigan down looks sweet!
    Kokomo>Camp Hale isn't really that great imho, it's mostly kinda loose, almost doubletrack, and just didn't impress me much. Searle is best from Copper, pretty steep coming up from Camp Hale

Ptarmigan is an awesome fall ride, great aspen exposure. But you have to turn around at the Wilderness boundary.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Kokomo>Camp Hale isn't really that great imho, it's mostly kinda loose, almost doubletrack, and just didn't impress me much.
    Yeah. Don't ride Kokomo -> Camp Hale. It sucks. All steep and loose and rocky and stuff. No fun to be had there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Headed to Monarch Crest in 2 wks for the first time. Everything I have read gives differing accounts of what the elevation gain is when including the rainbow trail. Sounds about like 34 miles with roughly 3000 ft. of climbing. Can anyone give me some good ride statistics if we include the rainbow trail? Thanks...

Not trying to jack the thread either, so on that note, I would second the ride from Vail up to 2 Elk trail and down to Minturn. Pretty sweet rarely ridden trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusky21 View Post
    Headed to Monarch Crest in 2 wks for the first time. Everything I have read gives differing accounts of what the elevation gain is when including the rainbow trail. Sounds about like 34 miles with roughly 3000 ft. of climbing. Can anyone give me some good ride statistics if we include the rainbow trail? Thanks...

Not trying to jack the thread either, so on that note, I would second the ride from Vail up to 2 Elk trail and down to Minturn. Pretty sweet rarely ridden trail.
    I think Ride 44 is what you want. You can download the gpx tracks and do all the figuring you want.

Monarch Crest

mtbr member
    Even though it's not a long one, Zoom in the Fraser trails is a fun downhill. Tipperary is also a good one, after the fun climb.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Re: Best Sustained Mountain Bike Descents in Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Yeah. Don't ride Kokomo -> Camp Hale. It sucks. All steep and loose and rocky and stuff. No fun to be had there.
    Just one man's opinion, after riding both many times, I think that that section isn't worth the shuttle and the Searle section is a much better downhill. If I want loose, rocky, jeep road esq riding, I go to Zuma.

Team Velveetaô

~3,600

Quote Originally Posted by Dusky21 View Post
    Using TopoFusion's numbers on a GPX I have handy for that shows 3,646 climbing.

Keep in mind, different software will do different stuff with that data. But I'd trust that number, seems about right.

Even though it more or less traverses along at around 9,500 feet then drops out on the Highway at something like 8,200, the Rainbow by itself puts a little over 1,000 feet of climbing into that party.

My GPX is for Monarch Pass to the Courthouse in Salida (a block from Safeway) and it says 38.95 miles.

I have a smattering of GPX files here if you ever want to browse. They are utterly random.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Get a shuttle on Jaws on Blanca and find your point of descent. Your going to find uninterupted downhill on really rough fire road and a few singletrack off shoots.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ecoomer View Post
    Your post is confusing in its requirements... You list Wheeler... yet disqualify Georgia to Kenosha for not being "that fast" whatever "that" is...

I'll offer up Barr- but only if you pedal to the top- shuttling is for pussies.
    Are you saying that Jerome Clementz is a pussie? He shuttled Barr...

mtbr member
    I rode it from pikes. Took a few trails to get over there. Had a fairly long descent down to jones park(i think it's called). Descent from there was awesome. Then linked up w 666 for some more descent. It started pouring during jones and the whole 666 descent but it was still great. Those three trails combined were easily the longest I've descended continuously in the front range. That was a few weeks ago first time I've ridden any part of jones.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Just Front Range, or in general?

I really liked Telluride when I went there. Take the gondola up, do a little bit of climbing and ride down.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden too many places in Co, but this descent from the top of Vail went on for 9 miles. Climbing was fun too.

Grand Traverse->Radio Flyer->Hank's Hideaway
    SantaCruz Tallboy C
    SantaCruz Solo C
    Specialized Fatboy
    Trek Madone 8
    Kestrel RT 700
    Lemond Zurich

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

I don't get the appeal of the default Crest route either. Silver goes by fast and then you're stuck with up and down on Rainblow. Greens, Fooses and Agate for me. Though the end of Agate blows. Gigantic boulder field followed by a steep moto rutted climb. Haven't done Starvation yet.

Wheeler - Spruce Creek - Burro is pretty sweet. A short climb to start Burro though. Easy to hitchhike shuttle too. Wish it would dry out up here. Been a really wet summer. Trails are super slick and the roots are saturated. Feels like the PNWet. Bring low tire pressure.

Two Elk West to Minturn is fun, but lots of up and down on that one and annoying slow tech once you're at the bottom of the bowls. There's way better use of that vert. Two Elk East is a rippin downhill though. No hitchhike shuttle. I guess you could Gondola and get two laps in? Worth a try.

Bueffer Creek is a sweet descent. Getting there is the tough part. I like doing Lost Lake to Bueffer, but it has a climb in the middle and a road climb between them. And again, it's a pain to get to and you can't easily hitchhike a shuttle.

Second the Jones Pass and Searle descents. Eagle has some solid descents too. Mike's Night Out to Worlds Greatest (shuttleable but longish rough road). Star Wars is awesome too, but on the short side. Meadow Mtn has a long sustained downhill also - gonna go do that one today.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 09-02-2013 at 05:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Lindahl- I might be up that way in the next few weeks if you want to hit Meadow Mountain again... it's been on my list for a couple of years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Sounds good. Let's get out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Lenawee Trail. best couple miles of ST in the state. Hurts to get to the top though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Yeah, definitely a good one. Last summer, the abay caretaker gave me a ride to the top in his truck. Schweet!

Moderator Moderator
    I'm surpised nobody has mentioned Keystone, which has something like a 2500 foot sustained descent with lots of options depending on how steep/gnar you want things.

I know, a resort, lame. But still, I remember racing semipro DH there (man I am old!) and the old DH course taking me something like 12-13 minutes going all-out. That is a looong descent.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.com/blog/
    instagram.com/waltworks/

Motion activated
    I always liked the front range trails for the steep fast descents. White ranch, Look Out and Apex etc.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Not the Cat in the Hat!
    Nov 2010
    Pikes Peak Barr Trail, you an connect to it from Elk Valleyso you don't have to hike your bike the first 1.5 miles at the top.

There are othrrs like Pipe Line Trail to 7 bridges, that is fun techie downhill for over 7 miles. Both of these can be shuttled.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The Ribbon in Grand Junction is a great shuttle and descent.