Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Best Sustained Mountain Bike Descents in Colorado

I have not seen a list of trails that is specific to long ripping downhill runs. I am looking for trails that are either shuttled or partly shuttled or have a profile that looks like an upside down 'V'. Trails like Monarch Crest and Kennosha Pass should not be on this list, Yes those are great trails but they are not sustained downhills. The trails I am thinking are fast gravity trails and are not super pedally, more like:
    Lenawee
    Kennebec Pass
    Wheeler Trail
    Warren Gulch
    Doctors Park
    Engineer Mountain/Cascade Creek

what others should be on this list?

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    your thread title and yous post are not consistent. Monarch and Kenosha may be pedally as a whole, but have miles of sustained downhill (off Georgia Pass and off the Crest via whatever trail you choose) every bit equal to the ones you mention. Are you just looking for something where you can push your bike uphill and never have to pedal? Because Kennebec has a big climb in the middle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yeah Kennebec has a huge climb in the middle but once you climb it your done with climbing and heading on another long sustained downhill sections, Georgia pass down to Tiger Run rd is a good one but Georgia Pass down to Jefferson Creek (the Kenosha Pass portion) is not that fast of a downhill. Monarch Crest (the standard route) just has Silver Creek and that is a small part of the ride. I have not ridden Agate, so maybe that should be on the list. The rest of the Crest trail proper is pretty flat with over 3000 feet of climbing all mixed in, so you descend 10 seconds then climb then repeat. What are the ripper DH runs that you are actually hauling mail on for more than 10 minutes?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hall Ranch (5 miles of almost entirely downhill from the top of the loop)
    Bobcat Ridge (from the top of Powerline)
    Buffalo Creek, Charlie's - Homestead - Sandy Wash
    401 in Crested Butte

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The best sustained mountain bike descents in Colorado are actually in Utah.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
    Yeah Kennebec has a huge climb in the middle but once you climb it your done with climbing and heading on another long sustained downhill sections, Georgia pass down to Tiger Run rd is a good one but Georgia Pass down to Jefferson Creek (the Kenosha Pass portion) is not that fast of a downhill. Monarch Crest (the standard route) just has Silver Creek and that is a small part of the ride. I have not ridden Agate, so maybe that should be on the list. The rest of the Crest trail proper is pretty flat with over 3000 feet of climbing all mixed in, so you descend 10 seconds then climb then repeat. What are the ripper DH runs that you are actually hauling mail on for more than 10 minutes?
    Georgia Pass down to Breck has 3 climbs in it, one pretty huge (but is certainly epic riding). And Georgia Pass down to Jefferson Creek is pretty darned fast and sustained no matter which trail you choose.

As for the Crest, try Starvation Creek and get back to us with your 10 second descent assessment. Haven't done Green, Fooses, or Agate, but I *suspect* they have more than 10 seconds of downhill too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I don’t know any of the Wasatch trails but judging by how sick the skiing is at Snowbird and Alta I’m sure they have some sweet mountain bike descents. In Moab you really only have the Enchilada. I know it is going to sound like blasphemy but the only ripping parts of Whole Enchilada are Burro and Hazard, the rest needs to be tilted downward about 5 degrees more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yeah raced Starvation in the Vapor 125, it was fun on the XC bike but needs a little more downward pitch, fun trail though, even after 90 miles of riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The Colorado Trail from West Ridge all the way down past Keystone Ranch Road (on stage 2 of the Breck Epic) is frickin' amazing. If it's not raining.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Addicted to Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    The best sustained mountain bike descents in Colorado are actually in Utah.
    Not Limon? Weird...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ingluis View Post
    Not Limon? Weird...
    Dude. STFU. You can't just let the cat out of the bag like that.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Pedally?

Oh, you mean mountain biking.

I'm with stupid

Best Sustained Mountain Bike Descents in Colorado

Love me the drop into starvation creek. I hear there is some good trails down off a 14er.

I tapped that

mtbr member
    I think the CO trail that goes up and over west ridge and down to dredgeboat trailhead is a great descent.

Trips for Kids Denver
    Steamboat has a few. Ridge, emerald mntn, Rabbit Ears, not to mention most other ski resorts.
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yeah Kennebec has a huge climb in the middle but once you climb it your done with climbing and heading on another long sustained downhill sections, Georgia pass down to Tiger Run rd is a good one but Georgia Pass down to Jefferson Creek (the Kenosha Pass portion) is not that fast of a downhill.
    Your post is confusing in its requirements... You list Wheeler... yet disqualify Georgia to Kenosha for not being "that fast" whatever "that" is...

I'll offer up Barr- but only if you pedal to the top- shuttling is for pussies.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    1. as mentioned, west ridge on CO trail in Breck: sustained climb up, then down back to dredge boat.

2. 2 elk trail: ride up vail 100% up, down the back bowls to minturn 100% down, an upside down V.

3.evergreen mountain trail at 3 sisters park; counter clockwise, not epic, but close to front range. up then down.

"We're only bike terrorists, 5:30, second Friday, Berkley BART" -Jeff Ott, fifteen

mtbr member
    The jones descent is wild.

Grouse to BTR to Spring Creek in Steamboat

Ride Buck Hill Ski Area
    Jul 2005
    Warren Gulch, just rode it for the first time. The only front range DH mentioned that I had to stop three times to rest my hands. Its a 5 mile downhill, and its really f-ing fast, if you can handle it. I could not.

friend of Apex
    Apex (not quite 10 min, but great stuff)
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Searle pass as an in and out. Or over the Camp Hale, but Searle is a much funnerer downhill IMHO. Same with Ptarmigan trail. I think those two might be the only two trails that I like as in>outs

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Monolith77 View Post
    The jones descent is wild.
    So would this be riding up to Jones pass from the henderson mine, go south on CTD to Herman Gulch and get loose all the way to I-70? That looks good!

Chronic 1st-timer
    So would this be riding up to Jones pass from the henderson mine, go south on CTD to Herman Gulch and get loose all the way to I-70? That looks good!
    Not quite.
    From Jones Pass to the high point is a tough hour +/-, then you get a good descent, until you have to climb again to get to Herman Lake.
    From there to I-70 is allgood. (unless you go on a weekday it'll be overrun w/humanoids)

Starvation, Greens, Fooses? Mmmm mmm good!
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Love me the drop into starvation creek. I hear there is some good trails down off a 14er.
    lies...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Searle pass as an in and out. Or over the Camp Hale, but Searle is a much funnerer downhill IMHO. Same with Ptarmigan trail. I think those two might be the only two trails that I like as in>outs
    it looks good from Kokomo to Hale too. Form a pure speed railing corners what is the best direction to go? Ptarmigan down looks sweet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast