Results 1 to 45 of 45
  1. #1
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,764

    Best sushi for the front range???

    I was told I'm a dork for this thread!

    But I vote Fontana across from southwest plaza In a little strip mall!


    And ..............
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  2. #2
    The 5th knuckle
    Reputation: jaycastlerock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,610
    Sonoda's Park Meadows

    Or my house..... You can get more fish than you can eat if just buy it from the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    228
    For the average day, try King Sooper's sushi.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

  4. #4
    Chronic 1st-timer
    Reputation: lubes17319's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,350

    Nihon ga natsukashii.
    Trailwrecker at large

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    74
    A new place just opened at W64th and Indiana in Arvada. Sushi Aji. I went on Weds night and really enjoyed it. Mind you, when it comes to sushi I'm mostly going for the tuna and salmon so I'm not into the fancy stuff but what I had was delicious. We also ordered the yakisoba (noodles) and that dish was great too. I'll definitely go back.

  6. #6
    not actually bad :)
    Reputation: bad_andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,745
    [QUOTE=PBR me!;10400819]I was told I'm a dork for this thread!
    QUOTE]

    Pretty sure you're a dork for more things than that, but...
    Sushi Den. Expensive, good.
    Old Codger

  7. #7
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    629

    Re: Best sushi for the front range???

    Kobe An in Lakewood. They've been great for decades!

    Sent from my Android - because Carrier Pigeons are slow!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Funrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,719
    Down in the Springs, "JUN" Just a bit south of Woodman on Academy has the best that I have had so far.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Devildog1775's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post

    Nihon ga natsukashii.
    That was some funny stuff. Spent seven months in Iwakuni/Hiroshima.

  10. #10
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,161
    Sushi Den is good. Sushi Kasa in Boulder is top notch.
    None of them are great, though, in grand scheme of things, we're too far away from water and Japan.

    _MK
    .
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
    -- Einstein, Albert

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Devildog1775's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    74
    Land of Sushi has always been pretty good. Land of Sushi... Welcome!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blueallah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    157
    [QUOTE=rogerfromco;10403447]Kobe An in Lakewood. They've been great for decades!

    I miss Rex.

  13. #13
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueallah View Post
    I miss Rex.
    Heh. Was Rex the chef down at Akebono? Remember some good evenings back in the 90's down at that sushi bar...

  14. #14
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    629
    [QUOTE=Blueallah;10406424]
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    Kobe An in Lakewood. They've been great for decades!

    I miss Rex.
    Rex was great, but I have to say they have recovered well from losing him and have a lot of new house specials that really rock.

  15. #15
    formerly Nomad rdr
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    Down in the Springs, "JUN" Just a bit south of Woodman on Academy has the best that I have had so far.
    Have to agree with Funrover! They have more of an upscale location on Centennial and Fillmore as well.

  16. #16
    I dream on two wheels
    Reputation: Simonns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    739
    Sushi Kazu at Arapaho and Peoria is one of my favorites.
    Whiskey

  17. #17
    a dad
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,660
    namikos on arvada is good
    BBZ

    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

  18. #18
    Team Inflexible
    Reputation: Jaydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,943
    Has any of the Springs folks tired this one Yoo Mae ? I think its way better than Juns and he has some of the best rolls ever including a couple with jalapenos and bacon!!!!

  19. #19
    I did it all for the kudo
    Reputation: Short Bus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,284

    Mmm... YooMae...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude View Post
    Has any of the Springs folks tired this one Yoo Mae ? I think its way better than Juns and he has some of the best rolls ever including a couple with jalapenos and bacon!!!!
    Getting hungry just thinking about that place Jay... We're gonna have to do lunch there again soon!
    Best sushi for the front range???-imag0519.jpg
    The notorious bacon/jalapeno roll "that's way too hot for me to stomach" lol
    Best sushi for the front range???-imag0517.jpg

  20. #20
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,764

    Found our new favorite in CA - Honda

    near long beach- signature roll is Cheeseburger roll- "better than in n out" let me tell you we were skeptical- cheeseburger roll?? at a sushi place-

    It was friggen delish! - but the real sushi was even better!!!

    Best sushi for the front range???-cheeseburger-roll.jpg


    why are my iphone pics turned sideways! this new format sucks!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  21. #21
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,764
    skared ****les - you are a well traveled man! of course i should have just consulted you before starting thread!!


    Great pics btw folks-
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  22. #22
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,643
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    skared ****les - you are a well traveled man! of course i should have just consulted you before starting thread!!


    Great pics btw folks-
    Well traveled? Akebono was down in the World Trade Center... so all it required was a drive downtown.

    I agree that Fontana's is quite good. And as a bonus it's within biking distance of the casa. Win!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Blueallah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    157
    [QUOTE=SkaredShtles;10407156]Heh. Was Rex the chef down at Akebono? /QUOTE]

    yes

  24. #24
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,764
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    And as a bonus it's within biking distance of the casa. Win!
    oh you ride? name your favorite roll at fontana!?

    can you say summer maki? just for starters ......
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    187
    Sushi Sasha Hands down!

    Near REI in denver

  26. #26
    a dad
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,660
    Quote Originally Posted by bowtiguy View Post
    Sushi Sasha Hands down!

    Near REI in denver
    that place is tasty..very tasty, but comes with a big price tag
    BBZ

    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MtbRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    979
    Isnt it Sushi Sasa? I have heard good things but have never been there.
    Agree with Sushi Den- it's a classic. Plus the Tiramisu there is fabulous (or used to be, haven't tasted it in a while)
    Juns in the Springs is good too!
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

  28. #28
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,764
    ok - it was mandatory we try another sushi restaurant in long beach- found awesome sushi not far from hotel.

    pics up later - but it was Good!

    (no front range content- but staying on topic)
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    43

    Re: Best sushi for the front range???

    Saketumi in Steamboat.

    Excellent sushi, rated by someone who recently was living in SF...

    Ch

    Sent using XT912 M

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    408
    I hear there is some tasty sushi swimmin' in Bear creek.......

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Devildog1775's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by a250gpguy View Post
    Saketumi in Steamboat.

    Excellent sushi, rated by someone who recently was living in SF...

    Ch

    Sent using XT912 M
    I concur, ate there on my honeymoon. Not bad at all.

  32. #32
    I did it all for the kudo
    Reputation: Short Bus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,284

    Re: Best sushi for the front range???

    Sushi happening in real time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best sushi for the front range???-uploadfromtaptalk1369423163573.jpg  


  33. #33
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    Sushi happening in real time.
    I like the foreshortening technique. Makes those rolls appear to be the size of a human arm!

  34. #34
    I'm with stupid
    Reputation: hitechredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,947
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I like the foreshortening technique. Makes those rolls appear to be the size of a human arm!
    They are what we call Epic Rolls. or bad ass for short........

  35. #35
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,643
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    I was told I'm a dork for this thread!

    But I vote Fontana across from southwest plaza In a little strip mall!


    And ..............
    Hit Fontana's this evening. Damned good sushi.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    32
    Land of Sushi and a new place on 17th called Sushi Bay 17, both are the best of the 30 places we have tried. Sushi Den is good, but overpriced.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elcaro1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    506
    Sushi Kaiten in Longmont is a pretty cool experience and is very tasty. They serve conveyor belt style, and you just grab what looks good to you. I have not been to any other places in CO that serve this way.

    Home Page

    Sakura is a cool/small place to hit, in Longmont as well. The owner is the head sushi chef and is always handing out freebies to customers and making fun conversation. Great hole in the wall place to hit IMO.

    sushi in Longmont, CO -Sakura Japanese Cuisine

    Was amazed to find these two gotos in Longmont of all places.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wandr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    414
    My top 3- Sushi Sasa downtown, Sushi Den out east, or if I just want to get on my bike, Sakura of Littleton is only a couple blocks away. Sakura used to be Hanabi, but it's completely renovated with all new owners, staff, menu, etc.

  39. #39
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    I was told I'm a dork for this thread!

    But I vote Fontana across from southwest plaza In a little strip mall!


    And ..............
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Hit Fontana's this evening. Damned good sushi.
    I've never been there, but just saw this on FOX31 news...

    Fontana Sushi
    Our next F goes to Fontana Sushi at 8601 West Cross Drive in Littleton.

    The sushi restaurant earned 12 critical mistakes in its last two inspections. Earlier this month, inspectors found “the sanitizer solution in the sushi area did not register any sanitizer” and “the ice machine needs cleaning for slime mold.”

    Last November, inspectors observed an employee “handling raw chicken…drying his hands with a soiled cloth and then handling clean dishes.” Tri-county inspectors also said the cooler, freezer, toaster oven and shelves were covered in dirt and grease.

    The owner of the restaurant told FOX31 Denver’s Heidi Hemmat that, “I don’t think I have a problem…and never has anyone been sick.” The owner also said all the violations have been corrected.

    Restaurant Report Card: Hickory House Ribs, Fontana Sushi, Maya?s Mexican | KDVR.com

  40. #40
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,643
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    I've never been there, but just saw this on FOX31 news...

    Fontana Sushi
    Our next F goes to Fontana Sushi at 8601 West Cross Drive in Littleton.

    The sushi restaurant earned 12 critical mistakes in its last two inspections. Earlier this month, inspectors found “the sanitizer solution in the sushi area did not register any sanitizer” and “the ice machine needs cleaning for slime mold.”

    Last November, inspectors observed an employee “handling raw chicken…drying his hands with a soiled cloth and then handling clean dishes.” Tri-county inspectors also said the cooler, freezer, toaster oven and shelves were covered in dirt and grease.

    The owner of the restaurant told FOX31 Denver’s Heidi Hemmat that, “I don’t think I have a problem…and never has anyone been sick.” The owner also said all the violations have been corrected.

    Restaurant Report Card: Hickory House Ribs, Fontana Sushi, Maya?s Mexican | KDVR.com
    <whew> Glad we ate there after the violations were corrected.

  41. #41
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    629
    A lot of folks really like Sushi Den and I've been there too, but looking more at Fox31's Restaurant Report Card show that they were the 8th most fined restaurant for health code violation in Denver in 2012!

    Denver?s top health code violators revealed | KDVR.com

    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    I was told I'm a dork for this thread!
    QUOTE]

    Pretty sure you're a dork for more things than that, but...
    Sushi Den. Expensive, good.
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    Sushi Den is good. Sushi Kasa in Boulder is top notch.
    None of them are great, though, in grand scheme of things, we're too far away from water and Japan.

    _MK
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN View Post
    Isnt it Sushi Sasa? I have heard good things but have never been there.
    Agree with Sushi Den- it's a classic. Plus the Tiramisu there is fabulous (or used to be, haven't tasted it in a while)
    Juns in the Springs is good too!
    Quote Originally Posted by wandr View Post
    My top 3- Sushi Sasa downtown, Sushi Den out east, or if I just want to get on my bike, Sakura of Littleton is only a couple blocks away. Sakura used to be Hanabi, but it's completely renovated with all new owners, staff, menu, etc.

  42. #42
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,643
    Whole Foods
    $3,250

    Soccer moms and yuppies everywhere are going into a tizzy.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtncampbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    269
    The health department in Colorado is out to make $$$. The whole story often isn't told by how much a restaurant is being fined...some of the most profitable restaurants also (no surprise) get fined (and inspected) the most...
    Frank Bonanno admits he's a "dick" when it comes to court battles with the health department - Denver - Restaurants and Dining - Cafe Society

  44. #44
    I work in .001 tolerances
    Reputation: HomegrownMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,241

    Re: Best sushi for the front range???

    Sushi Hai. NW Denver

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    131
    Sushi Den and Sushi Sasa- pretty much the only places in Denver worth the time...

    If you're traveling

    Shiro's- Seattle
    Arigato- Santa Barbara
    Sushi Kanesaka- Tokyo
    Kyubei- Tokyo
    Sushi Ran- Sausalito
    Sushi Sawa- Sunnyvale - Steve-san is a maniac- some of the best sake availability outside of Japan.
    Mizutani- Tokyo- good, excellent, but I find Kanesaka to be better. Kyubei for lunch is super hard to beat.

    "cheap" and "sushi" are not compatible...

    Unless you're at the Tsukiji market in Tokyo- then there's a tiny little donburi shop that will set you up with a bowl of the best Hokkaido uni donburi for $10, but you are eating this at 6 am...

    e

Similar Threads

  1. WP is not front range...
    By airwreck in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-21-2012, 01:21 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-03-2012, 08:38 PM
  3. Front Range 60
    By chainringX2 in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 04:02 PM
  4. Front Range 60
    By c7train in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-07-2011, 10:23 AM
  5. Help from Front Range
    By c7train in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 09:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •