DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

Best snow tires?

Anybody got an opinion on the best snow tires? Something that clears snow and can really cut in? IRC used to make a tire called the "mud puppy" (I think that was the name) that was killer for deeper snow and mud but it's not in their lineup anymore. I was looking at the Panaracer Trail Raker, but haven't seen one in the flesh. Don't want to go to the Nokian studded tires. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    anything with really deep, widely spaced lugs will work well. it needs deep lugs to act like a paddlewheel and it needs widely spaced lugs to shed snow. Try any heavy duty mud tire on a REALLY wide rim. I used to run on 2" wide snowcats with 3.0 tires (the profile was a lot larger thanks to the rim) at about 15 PSI. It's a ball in the snow since you float on top. It's a beast on the pavement or hardpack.

Only studded tires like the nokian will let you do anything on ice. You can make your own pretty easily, though.

check out www.icebike.com for all your winter needs and check out the rigs at http://www.wildfirecycles.com/fatbikes.html for some intense iditabike action. I met the guy who runs the shop up there and he's a maniac.

Card Carrying Member
    I'm running a Kenda Nevegal (2.3) in the rear turned backwards so that the steep side of the paddle cuts into the snow... It's hooking up like farking mad! Up front I'm running a 2.4 WTB motoraptor because the winter time is the only time I can use them without wearing them down in a handful of rides.

Not sure if this is the best combination, but that Nevegal has been doing me right the last few snow rides.

crashes in parkinglot
    I've run Conti vertical or survival pros 2.3 (which ever has the deep wide spaced paddles) during the winter. also you might want to search the wheel and tire board they probably have a thread on this.

Perpetually single track
    Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 ain't too bad either...

Now Uploading
    My Intense 909 EXs do fairly well in the snow, 2.5 front/2.35 rear with 12psi/18psi. That is if you don't mind 7 pounds of tires, more like 8 with DH tubes.

Yeah, a Conti Survival Pro on the back got me through part of last winter, not bad either.

Studded tires for ice is a different story.

Dave
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 ain't too bad either...
    That's what I run on the front now with a Gazzi Core 2.3 on the back. I've found that for the 2-6" of snow like we have now, a skinny mud tire works better as it doesn't pack up at all and most times can cut to the bottom. My current setup floats too much and loads up when when the temps are at freezing. My last ride was with a buddy who's smarter than me and he was running IRC Muds and while he was railing I was floundering. My old Muds had literally turned to dust in the shed since I haven't used them in a few years and now they don't seem t be available anymore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

... and if we just ... Move to California

That way you won't have to ride in the snow