mtbr member

Best Ski Resort for XC?

I have 10 days off for the 4th and I really want to escape the heat and smoke of Fort Collins. What ski resort do you guys think has the best XC trails? Or not ski resort small mountain towns are fun too. I have herd really good things about Breckenridge. I'm craving a few days of high mountain singletrack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I would say crested butte but i think you should really reconsider your options. Colorado has so many great rides that are ten fold better than anything you are going to find at a ski area. Breck has endless miles of singletrack, crested butte (enough said), hit all the great trails on monarch pass outside of salida. The list goes on and on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Peaks Trail in Breckenridge is a good one, also the series of trails behind Summit Cove (Ranch Loop, Blair Witch, Mushroom Trail...). You can get on those at the trailhead on Tiger Road in Breck or over in the cove in Dillon. I can never remember the names of the other Breck trails but there's a ton on the east side of town. Way better than riding XC at a resort.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Interestingly the title of this thread ties into my ride last night. I did a nice loop with a couple climbs on the ski Breckenridge ski area. For lift served mountain biking, Breckenridge doesn't impress the gravity set much (it seems to work for beginners though) but the trail system there is actually pretty nice - albeit a bit chewed up - for after hours XC riding.

Of course yes, there are literally hundreds of miles of singletrack and burly jeep roads radiating from all directions from Breckenridge. There aren't too many places that can match Breckenridge for the availability of MTB riding right from town.

mtbr member
    I guess ski resort wasn't the best choice. I don't have to ride at the ski area but I figured ski towns would offer the best options for places to stay over the 4th with short notice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    I would say crested butte but i think you should really reconsider your options. Colorado has so many great rides that are ten fold better than anything you are going to find at a ski area. Breck has endless miles of singletrack, crested butte (enough said), hit all the great trails on monarch pass outside of salida. The list goes on and on.
    Ditto on Crested Butte and Monarch. Skip the trails out of downtown Salida though. Steamboat is another solid option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Breck will be a mad house for the Fourth and they are having the Firecracker 50 MTB race, but after that, they are having breck bike week which is pretty fun if you are visiting and want to take part in it. Lots of free events and demos

Breck Bike Week | Breckenridge Resort Chamber | Breckenridge Events

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Breck will be a mad house for the Fourth and they are having the Firecracker 50 MTB race, but after that, they are having breck bike week which is pretty fun if you are visiting and want to take part in it. Lots of free events and demos

Breck Bike Week | Breckenridge Resort Chamber | Breckenridge Events
    That sounds like fun. I will be off till the 8th.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Crusty Butts

Hands down. Resort + No Crowds = Bliss

friend of Apex
    Crusty Butt does win, but Steamboat is closer
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    True but monarch pass can be on the way home and a great way to break up the drive

Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Crusty Butt does win, but Steamboat is closer

killin clear creek
    Crusty or Boat.

I think Breck is a great place to ride, but not that weekend unless you're a "social" biker (more interested in the scene than riding some fun trails)

I lived in boat when I was building the library, and I rode every night... so many great trails to choose from, and there were very few people out even on the weekends. I highly recommend the riding there (also, seemed like good dirt, less dusty, which would be a factor with the lacking rain this year)
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Steam Boat would be grate of they reopen 14.

killin clear creek
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Steam Boat would be grate of they reopen 14.
    Oh yeah... that about doubles the trip for you doesn't it?

Probably still quicker going through the park to boat than to crusty though I'd think.
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife View Post
    Oh yeah... that about doubles the trip for you doesn't it?

Probably still quicker going through the park to boat than to crusty though I'd think.
    Yea it kind of does. I don't know how much longer it would be to crusty.

killin clear creek
    Just gaagled it, still an extra hour to get to crusty. (compared to taking 34)

If you've got 10 days though... sh**, just head down there! Cool place for MANY reasons, plenty of high alt riding to stay cool, irwin area would be gorgeous right now.

You can always hit boat on a weekend when 14 is open!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife View Post
    Just gaagled it, still an extra hour to get to crusty. (compared to taking 34)

If you've got 10 days though... sh**, just head down there! Cool place for MANY reasons, plenty of high alt riding to stay cool, irwin area would be gorgeous right now.

You can always hit boat on a weekend when 14 is open!
    Thant's kind of what I was thinking. I don't think I can afford to spend all 10 days there. I have a race on the 30th at winter park. But I can pull off 2 or 3 days after that. I'm betting it would be cheaper then a few days at Breck with the cycling events in town.