mtbr member

Best Ski areas for summer MTB fun?

It will be my first full summer in CO. I have had some really good rides in Park City and Sun Valley, but don't know the situation around here. I would be open to riding up or taking a lift, and am interested in what the areas around here have to offer, prices, passes, other activities, etc. Thanks.

mtbr member

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'm gonna go with Keystone. Good lift option. Great XC options. "Other" options aren't fantatstic, but there's other stuff to do around the "village"...

Vail would be a close second IMO.

Colorado
    If you liked PC and Sun Valley, you would probably dig Winter Park and Vail.

mtbr member
    Is it safe to say that all the ski areas around here these days have mountain biking activities in the summer and lift rides?

skillz to pay billz
    more or less.

winter park/sol vista area has tons of both xc and lift service.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Keystone, hand down.
    It's closer, it has more terrain and they are not snobs.
    Ride them all, but Keystone is #1 in my book!

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    For me it is the Sol Vista/Winter Park combo. I haven't been to Keystone in two years but will be spending time there this summer now they have a race again.

We are spoilt with great choices.

rider of bicycles
    Jul 2008
    Agree with Sean, we do have lots to choose from, which is awesome.

When I'm not driving around to races, I'm usually in the Fraser Valley because of Winter Park and Sol Vista's bike parks, plus the valley trails, two decent towns, camping, there's enough variety that I can bring novices with me and everybody still has fun, it's not far from Denver, etc.

And, of course, Angel Fire isn't too far either, and they dropped the price of their lift tickets this year to $18/day.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Smilinsteve: Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are not necessarily a full on DH rider. If that's the case, while many ski areas have what can be termed XC trails or easier DH trails, most of the ski areas folks are mentioning cater mostly to full on specialized DH type riding. I'm not 100% sure since I really don't ride at ski areas, but I'm thinking that at most of those area, during business hours you are not permitted ride ride up any of the trails. If that's what you're looking for then great, but if not, I would recommend other places to ride than ski areas. Most resort areas that have ski areas with mountain biking, also have good trail systems in the surrounding forest.

Misses elastomer shocks
    winter park (the town, not the resort) has a huge network of true XC trails that are on public land and are free. great stuff and you save some cash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    Smilinsteve: Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are not necessarily a full on DH rider. If that's the case, while many ski areas have what can be termed XC trails or easier DH trails, most of the ski areas folks are mentioning cater mostly to full on specialized DH type riding. I'm not 100% sure since I really don't ride at ski areas, but I'm thinking that at most of those area, during business hours you are not permitted ride ride up any of the trails. If that's what you're looking for then great, but if not, I would recommend other places to ride than ski areas. Most resort areas that have ski areas with mountain biking, also have good trail systems in the surrounding forest.
    Yes, you are correct. I am an XC type rider and would be riding my Santa Cruz Superlight.
    At Park City and at Sun Valley, I started at the bottom and rode up, and had great rides in both places. Ski areas are huge, and the single track I was riding could have been anywhere in the mountains. For much of the ride, there was no clue that I was at a ski area.
    I would be surprised if you couldn't ride up the areas around here. It's public land isn't it?

I am definitely going to be checking out plenty of non-ski area trails, but ski areas are a different kind of fun, and I think it would be a good way to get my 15 year old son more into mountain biking as well.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    Yes, you are correct. I am an XC type rider and would be riding my Santa Cruz Superlight.
    At Park City and at Sun Valley, I started at the bottom and rode up, and had great rides in both places. Ski areas are huge, and the single track I was riding could have been anywhere in the mountains. For much of the ride, there was no clue that I was at a ski area.
    I would be surprised if you couldn't ride up the areas around here. It's public land isn't it?

I am definitely going to be checking out plenty of non-ski area trails, but ski areas are a different kind of fun, and I think it would be a good way to get my 15 year old son more into mountain biking as well.
    With that description I would certainly advocate Winter Park.

mtbr member
    I 2nd Winter Park. I can't wait till June 12 . But this year i will hit keystone for the first time.
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Crested Butte is worth checking out. Miles and miles of XC surrounding town. I think the ski area/lift served stuff is more DH oriented though. That place is fantastic.