Loser
    Mar 2008

Best Shop in Highlands Ranch/Littleton Area

I am in the hunt for a bike for the summer. What is the best shop (service and price-wise) in the area?

I am willing to drive a little if the shop will get me a great deal and great service.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna, Littleton, have been great. They also have some demo bikes.
    Good luck.
    Tor

Trail Sanitizer
    I would vote for BikeSource at County Line and University. They sell Yeti and Specialized, they have a big repair shop and, most importantly, they fully support mtn biking on the front range.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I second BikeSource. Also check out Alpha Bikes on Yosemite just south of Arapahoe.

<100%
    A Third vote for BikeSource

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831
    A Third vote for BikeSource
    Make it a 4th for Bikesource.

Right across the street is BikePeddler. They are pretty decent too.

Freeride Fornicator
    Quote Originally Posted by casey
    I second BikeSource. Also check out Alpha Bikes on Yosemite just south of Arapahoe.
    Alpha bikes all the way, you can't find better service than those guys.
    Sexual harassment...Panda.

mtbr member
    Bikesource is good until you need to have service done. They are pretty expensive compared to other shops in the area. They will tell you that you get free adjustments for the life of your bike, but if you have to replace something on your bike, they will not service is for free unless you buy the part from them and have them install it. That can get pretty expensive. Example is derailleur or wheels. If you buy them elsewhere, they will not adjust your der. or true your wheels for free because you didn't buy them there.

They do have a large selection of bikes and the service dept is pretty good. They can be hit or miss though. Dan in the service dept does know his stuff though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    There is no one answer. It really depends what type of bike you want. If you want your standard fare Spec, Yetic etc go to Bike Source. If you are looking for a Ventana or Maverick, hit up Alfpha. If you want Intense, Ells or Turner (and Yeti) hit the Singletrack Factory.

The best suggestion I can offer is to figure out what bike you want then figure out who carries that brand in the area. I would never let a shop dictate what bike I buy based on the brands that they carry.

Edit: And I wouldn't predicate my purchasing decision on who has the best after purchase service unless the service is free post purchase. I rarely get my bike serviced at the same place I purchase it.
    Last edited by smithrider; 05-07-2008 at 12:28 PM.

TaS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smithrider
    There is no one answer. It really depends what type of bike you want.............................................. ......
    For service, if your not going to wrench yourself, Alpha or Big Kahuna are both unbiased towards what your bring them.

Lucky Wrecker
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer
    I would vote for BikeSource at County Line and University. They sell Yeti and Specialized, they have a big repair shop and, most importantly, they fully support mtn biking on the front range.
    Hmmm...I would have absolutely said BikeSource but I had a poor experience there last week. I walked around the store for 40 minutes with my one year old child and was ignorred by everyone but the guy I approached at the service desk (maybe I'm uglier than I thought!). After talking to him for 30 seconds and starting in on the list of stuff I was looking for he developed ADD as he started helping another customer checkin her bike for a repair. I hovered around the back of the store for another 10 minutes while he continued to get sidetracked again and again. I ended up walking out after I realized that I had been 100% forgotten about. $275 went to another store that day. I've always been very pleased with them other than this experience. Next time it's a Mom and Pop store or the cheapest store within a reasonable drive.

A Guy Who is Going Places
    Quote Originally Posted by firch
    Bikesource is good until you need to have service done. They are pretty expensive compared to other shops in the area. They will tell you that you get free adjustments for the life of your bike, but if you have to replace something on your bike, they will not service is for free unless you buy the part from them and have them install it. That can get pretty expensive. Example is derailleur or wheels. If you buy them elsewhere, they will not adjust your der. or true your wheels for free because you didn't buy them there.
    I'm wondering why this is posed as a problem. Labor and Service are a valuable thing. If they weren't, then there wouldn't even be a conversation here. This country has developed such a "get it for nothing" mentality. We don't make things here anymore because as consumers we are unwilling to pay our fellow countrymen what it takes to make a living and run a (gasp!) profitable business. So our nation switches over to a service based economy and now the consumer is unwilling to pay for that as well.

The question shouldn't be based on whether or not their service is free. It should be based on the quality of their service and if that quality is worth paying for.
    http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    We really do have several exellent bike shops, as mentioned above, in the Littleton/ HR area. With the cost of renting a commercial building on this end of town and paying a good wage I am suprized so many stay in business.
    MCS5280, I buy/support all of them. You should check them all out. They all offer a little something different.
    Oh!, welcome to the area.
    hth

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

Thread Terrorist
    Don't limit your options to Highlands ranch and Littleton. Look into Mojo Wheels, Green mountain sports and Golden bike shop.

A bike is a bike, but sometimes it helps to find a shop that fits your personality. Like corporation type processes? Bike source or WRC might be your place. Like the down to earth hard core DH'ers and FR dudes and no BS on service ideas? Mojo might be your answer. Like to get to know the LBS owner by first name, perhaps Big Kahuna is your game.

All the shops mentioned above can sell you a bike. Service is very important. The people running the shop can be overlooked quickly though. Are you being treated as a customer or as a fellow rider. Are they giving you sound advice or just telling you what neat features come with the bike. Did they first ask you questions about you and your riding styles? or did they just ask for a budget. THings to think about.

Edit: After proof reading, I realized that Big Ring cycles in Golden fit into this category. Most of my neighbors HATE this place because of the people, not the bikes or the service. I once asked for a BB removal tool, and the guy threw it at me saying "why would you want to do this type of work yourself.... 15.50 please".

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm sorry, but I think BikeSource is a joke. They are so popular that they don't need your business and they act like it. They act like they are super cool as they work in a bike shop or something, and that we should treat them as our heroes.

I went to Bicycle Pedal'r which is across the street, behind Sunflower market by the Target. They are about as a nice and as personal of a shop as you could ask for.

http://bicyclepedalr.com/

skillz to pay billz
    total agree, why would someone service a part for free if you bought it elsewhere? They are in business to make money and as more people buy on the internet the only play left sometimes is service.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    I'm wondering why this is posed as a problem. Labor and Service are a valuable thing. If they weren't, then there wouldn't even be a conversation here. This country has developed such a "get it for nothing" mentality. We don't make things here anymore because as consumers we are unwilling to pay our fellow countrymen what it takes to make a living and run a (gasp!) profitable business. So our nation switches over to a service based economy and now the consumer is unwilling to pay for that as well.

Thread Terrorist
    I'm not a fan of Bike Source. I had a run in with these jokers 5 years ago on the trails. The staff had started running DownHill runs in Jeffco in the early mornings. Not that THAT is bad, but these guys wouldn't stop for anyone, and I mean NO ONE. They actually bumped a few hikers and knocked a few other cyclists off the trail (me included). Rangers set up frequent sting operations to catch them. Word got out that it was being run through this shop... I never heard the outcome, but I also haven't seen that type of activity since.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Mojo Wheels. Nothing but MTB's. If you're a real stud, buy that black & gold IH Sunday they have hanging in there. That thing is HAWT!
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys

The question shouldn't be based on whether or not their service is free. It should be based on the quality of their service and if that quality is worth paying for.

To answer you question...

Their service is not free (I do understand that companies have to make a profit to stay open), but their quality to price ratio is definately not worth it in my opinion.

I don't know the profit margins on the bikes they sell, but if they are not making big money off the sale of bikes, then someone along the line certainly is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    No has said single track factory yet. They aren't in highlands ranch or littleton, but they are close and they are definitely reputable. Also they are sponsoring me this year so you know they are putting there money back into racing.

<100%
    BikeSource, Single Track Factory, West Side, Mojo are all sponsoring MTB racing this year in one form or another (forgive me if I've missed a few - post them so they get their props). Some of these shops are new to the scene this year. Every shop that sponsors a racer should get a kind word and a look. They don't make any money on it, they do it because they love bikes, love racing, and/or want to promote their brands.

We've all had minor issues with shops in the past. Things that happened years ago don't mean much today. Shop staff (and owners!) change frequently. If they are out there supporting racing, give them look or at least put your personal grudge in perspective.

IndecentExposure - 5 years ago!? Let it go, it's ancient history. There may be one guy there now that was there then. I can guarantee that no one there now would condone such behavior or participate in it. Who knows, the goofballs responsible may be working at your favorite shop now (or own it) and in any event, I would not be surprised if the individuals have grown up a little since then.

See you at the races (I'm the one wearing the BikeSource jersey)

Peace

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. I went around to most of the local shops today and checked them out. None of the salespeople were pushy, which was a definite plus. The only one I didn't like was BikeSource. I was in there for a good 30 minutes and they completely ignored me the entire time.

I am heading up to the Golden Bike Shop tomorrow since they have a killer deal on a Kona that I am looking at. Do they have decent prices on shoes/accessories?

mtbr member

Littleton Cyclery

Last year I got a sweet deal on a 2007 Trek Top Fuel at Littleton Cyclery. I was a green horn. They seemed helpful and attentive and really worked to direct me to a bike that fit me - and worked hard to fine tune the fit. I did not feel taken advantage of.

Their service department has also been very helpful and accomodating. I've probably taken it back a half a dozen times for readjustments and tunes - and for advice/lessons how to deal with hydraulic brakes and such.

It's a bit of a drive for me since I live up in Northwest Denver - but it has been worth it.

They sell Trek, Gary Fischer, Santa Cruz (maybe more).

http://www.littletoncyclery.com/

Later,
    Mike