Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best Rides in Steamboat

I've ridden up in Steamboat a couple times now so I know a lot of the local trails but wondering what you all think are the best rides up there...looking for something new! I know there is some singletrack up there I've not seen yet! Heading up the 15th of June through the 22nd.

Thanks for your help!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There's no such thing as a "best" ride. 10 different people may have 10 different opinions on what a "best" ride is depending on what their individual tastes and abilities are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    There's no such thing as a "best" ride. 10 different people may have 10 different opinions on what a "best" ride is depending on what their individual tastes and abilities are.
    the best ride is fish creek falls.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Beall Trail rocks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by givati View Post
    Beall Trail rocks!
    Not open till June 30th. I was just up there this past wknd and did the Ridge trail, hoping to catch the loop. NOPE; shutdown on the loop.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead View Post
    This is an awesome ride (I'm not in a position to say "best" because I have done very little up there). I will say, however, that you need to be a very good technical rider for this ride. I'm ok, better than many but worse than many, and while I enjoyed the hell out of this ride, after my 3rd endo I had lost my mojo, and some of the high consequence lines on this ride had me walking (DOWN!) a lot near the end.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead View Post
    Best 'shuttle' ride there. But they still have snow up high...

Edit: if you do an out/back on this, I think you can get to the 2nd falls tho. I was gonna go up the service road at the ski area and catch their "DH" trail down after dropping into the valley from Rabbit Ears. The southern exposure was completely melted from Gondi top down.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I like Howelson and Spring Creek.

mtbr member
    Colton Creek, Scott's run, Wy/Devide, Burn Ridge, South Fork. Seedhouse rd loop.

Grizzley/Helena on the East side of Buff pass is also excellent.

Paully, the RCR is working to open Beall early, word is the Moots trail bike will be out clearing the downed timber this week, possibly open next weekend, if BLM ok's. The snow is gone and the trail is dry, it's closed for Elk calving.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Paully, the RCR is working to open Beall early, word is the Moots trail bike will be out clearing the downed timber this week, possibly open next weekend, if BLM ok's. The snow is gone and the trail is dry, it's closed for Elk calving.
    We have the same Elk calving thing here on a trail/park called Centennial Cone.

Yeah, The Ridge was BUTTA! Say SBSbiker, have you a link to the Grizzly/Helena trail map...the full 70ish miles? This is the loop that goes around the Zirkels, yeah?
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    The G/H is 40 miles one way from the base of Buff pass to Big creek lake, on the NE corner of Mt Zerkel WArea. You can make it a loop, the legendary Encircle the Zirkel ride, but that's 160miles. Up Buff, G/H trail, forest roads over the north of the Zirkel, up Ellis jeep road to the Dividemtrail above Big Red park, descend into Seedhouse, through Greenville mine, end on Elk river rd, up Hot Springs back to the base of Buff pass. I know guys that have done it in a 24 hr period, but I prefer to camp at Big Creek lake and do it in two days. Note, it's a late Aug ride as the creeks on G/H can be very high till all the snow is gone from the Zirkels.

T_E
    mtbr member
    Any trail suggestion for a 2-3 hour ride from town. Will be there next weekend with the wife and need to squeeze in a solo ride Friday and Saturday. Thx.
    It's a chronic addiction

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by T_E View Post
    Any trail suggestion for a 2-3 hour ride from town. Will be there next weekend with the wife and need to squeeze in a solo ride Friday and Saturday. Thx.
    Emerald mountain
    start behind the baseball field (accross the river)
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Emerald mountain
    start behind the baseball field (accross the river)
    ...then go over the top and hit The Ridge Trail. Come back the same way. A big out and back!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Anyone that is local able to get out on some rides with me that week or hiking...I'd like to hike Mt. Zirkel if possible. Thanks for all the tips! Keep em coming!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by element1 View Post
    I'd like to hike Mt. Zirkel if possible.
    You'll most likely have some pretty rotten snow to contend w/ up there still...

Edit: found this shot of the ski area from Mem Wknd. You're looking at Storm Peak and Fish Creeek drainage/Buff Pass area. Zirkels have the same elevations

Best Rides in Steamboat-storm-peak-buff-pass.jpg
    Last edited by Pau11y; 06-04-2013 at 09:36 AM.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Ive been working off Seedhouse rd all week, still plenty of snow up high in the Zirkel's. might be hard pressed to summit Mt.Zerkel for a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Ive been working off Seedhouse rd all week, still plenty of snow up high in the Zirkel's. might be hard pressed to summit Mt.Zerkel for a few weeks.
    Well this might work out well. I took a fall off my bike and hurt my shoulder and got a concussion...doesn't look like I'll be riding again by the 15th...trying to postpone my trip until August 23rd! All this will be clear by then I bet!

mtbr member
    sbsbiker and other SB locals... Is there any possibility of Scott's Run (and associated Seedhouse trails) being ride-able for the coming weekend? My family and I are camping at Steamboat Lake State Park and I am being hopeful for a Father's Day ride nearby the Park.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I was up there Saturday working, right over the river from the Scott's run trailhead, the snow is gone but no telling the condition of the trail. Usually until the tree crew goes through, you will have many, many downed trees to go over. I would not try Burn ridge/ South fork as the Elk river is very high.

mtbr member
    What an adventure Scott's Run turned out to be! Ridden/hiked on June 15, 2013. Completely dry, but as sbsbiker suggested....there were many many downed trees. At one point my entire field of view was most of the forest laying on it's side covering the landscape of the trail. It seemed like at least a mile of nothing but hiking over downed trees - a couple hundred blocking the trail at least. It seemed like I was too far into the ride to turn around...so I pressed forward. Of course the hike-a-bike (over trees) seemed like it would have been one of the down-hill highlights. And then before the final steep climb there was the thigh-high stream crossing...which was refreshing.

I highly do not recommend attempting Scott's Run until there's confirmation that a very large tree crew has made a pass through.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by givati View Post
    Beall Trail rocks!

Where is beall trail?????

mtbr member
    The BLM has a mandatory closure of the Beall trail till June 30. The Routt County riders have negotiated an early opening this weekend June22. It climbs from Cow Creek rd, to the top of Emerald mt. From the south side. It's a great trail, but please don't post up use of it, until its open.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The BLM has a mandatory closure of the Beall trail till June 30. The Routt County riders have negotiated an early opening this weekend June22. It climbs from Cow Creek rd, to the top of Emerald mt. From the south side. It's a great trail, but please don't post up use of it, until its open.
    I don't know if this is what you meant but " please don't post up use of it, until its open." implies "yeah, go ahead and ride it, just don't talk about it".

It's important that the MTB community shows it can be a reliable partner with land agencies when negotiating things like seasonal wildlife closures. Otherwise, you'll see much more restrictive policies. Not to mention, at least IMO it's nice to be thought of as responsible adults rather than children with no sense of respect or restraint.

T_E
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by T_E View Post
    Any trail suggestions for a 2-3 hour ride from town. Will be there next weekend with the wife and need to squeeze in a solo ride Friday and Saturday. Thx.
    Thanks to WKD-RDR and Pau11y. Emeral Mountain is the way to go when short of time. It's all XC, nothing techy and a good clip of a climb. Easy access from downtown.

The 2nd day, I hit Ridge Trail as out and back from Lupine again. Beall Trail is closed. It would be a big loops once it's open. I saw a black bear in between Root Canal and Stairway to Heaven.
    It's a chronic addiction

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast