Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Eat, Poop, Pedal.

Best resort in CO!?

Hey guys,
    Me and a few buddies are planning a trip in Colorado for some sweet resort riding.. I have looked into the resorts and trails you guys have and it's a overload! So I figured the best way to find what we're looking for is to ask the locals!
    Overall we are downhill riders, we want lifts! Some good flowy trails with features. We are planning on a couple days of riding, so maybe a resort with some options so we don't get bored. A kickass night life would be a huge plus! When I say this.... What resort comes to mind?? Thanks in advance! We're stoked for our trip which is going to be middle/late June.
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm loco

I would goto breckenridge without a doubt, hotest chicks around, lots of bars, coolest mountain town in colorado talk about kick ass night life, I don't even know where to start..........

by the way it's going to be snowing into late may this year so mid june might not be good.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Winter Park hands down. In addition to the resort, there are over 600 miles of mtn bike trails in the Frasier Valley and Solvista ski resort is about 30 minutes away and has been building up their DH park over the last 5 years or so too.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Lots of options, don't limit yourself

Ok, so, keep in mind I haven't been on the DH sled in a few years and things may have changed a bit, but:
    -The riding areas are all within about 90 minutes of each other, so hit everything.
    -Keystone: Biggest vert, lots of rocky natural trails, a few manmade things that are IMO kinda lame. Old school DH with a lot of very difficult terrain. Some trails have gotten pretty trashed due to mediocre (fall line) design and limited maintenance. Looooong runs. Almost no nightlife (the Goat!!!) but you can get to Breck in about 15 minutes.
    -Winter Park: Lots of manmade stuff (ie berms, jumps, some wood structures) and more every year. Managed by the same folks who run Whistler, so you know they know their stuff. The place to do safe, fun jumps. I never hear about Sol Vista anymore but it's 20 minutes up the road and has some very well-designed stuff, albeit shorter runs. Downside to the Frasier valley is there is zero nightlife. I mean literally zero.
    -Vail: The situation changes year to year but as unless things got dramatically better recently I would not plan to spend more than a half day here. Vail WAS the absolute best DH in the Rockies for a few years in the early 2000s after Worlds brought a ton of great riders/trail builders to the area briefly, but the FS shut down most of the (illegal) trails. Nightlife is great if you have serious money or hook up with a local who knows where to go.

A few other places run the occasional lift for hikers and will let you on with a bike (and we should all pour one out for the lovely Stickline at BC, love ya till I join ya) but those 3 or 4 places are the meat of the DH riding that is lift served.

Keep in mind that the XC riding in all these places is incredible too, even if you're usually not a fan of earning your turns.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I think others have pretty much hit it already. Breckenridge is definitely the best town up there from a night life perspective. Nearby to Breckenridge is Keystone which has a lot of great riding. Like Walt mentioned, it's more "old school" though. There are great rock gardens and some very difficult terrain, plus the most man made stunts of any resort in Colorado. Being old school, it's my favorite resort.

That being said, Winter Park has the best flowy trails. They only have one real (old school) downhill trail, but trails like Rainmaker have some of the best jumps out there.

Just up the road from Winter Park is Granby Ranch Bike Park (FKA Sol Vista) which has some really good riding too. It's definitely the racer's mountain in Colorado and they have 4 really good downhill courses. They also have a few greens and blues that have really good flow to them. Silky Johnson reigns as my favorite resort trail in Colorado. The trails are short (750 vertical by my GPS) but you can ride them multiple times during a day and really get your lines dialed.

While the Fraiser Valley (WP and SV) doesn't have the night life that Breck does, it's not awful. Besides, if you're NOT so tired after a day of lifting that you can still go out and party, you're doing something wrong. I'd say to get a place in either WP or Granby and plan on riding both of those resorts. If you can get away to Keystone for a day, even better.

You might want to reconsider your timing though. It's another crappy winter this year (meaning no snow), but mid June is really pushing it. Usually things open up about the last weekend in June.

Eat, Poop, Pedal.
    Awesome! thanks guys! I do have another question... I noticed no one said Aspen/Snowmass... And everything i red online pointed me to that direction... Dont do it? overrated?
    2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Snowmass has great trails and has added some good DH and flow trails to the large quantity of XC that they have. Last year they added gondy-served stuff, after a winter the trails should pack in nicely. FWIW, I can't stand skiing there but it's my favorite hill to ride. Aspen (Ajax) does not have much to speak of, but around town there is good XC, and down valley in Carbondale there is quite a bit to ride. We hit Prince Creek last night with a posse of fatbikes. There are plans in the works for a park in Carbondale, but this will take a year or more.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by hooverGiant View Post
    Awesome! thanks guys! I do have another question... I noticed no one said Aspen/Snowmass... And everything i red online pointed me to that direction... Dont do it? overrated?
    Snowmass is known for the Blast the Mass race, but I didn't know they have lifts outside of the race. I know a lot of places are really making a push for summer business so maybe they are going that direction. Steamboat and Crested Butte are also both expanding their summer program, but I don't think that either resort qualifies as being "destination worthy" yet.

I haven't ridden any of the three resorts I mention above though. Keystone, Winter Park and Sol Vista are definitely the big players when it comes to downhill.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Winter Park... +5

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Go to Snowmass - there will be *far* fewer ******bags there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper roo View Post
    by the way it's going to be snowing into late may this year so mid june might not be good.
    It's going to snow until late May?!? Lord knows we need it, but how can you know in December that it's going to snow until late May?

friend of Apex
    Golden
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Also being a DH based rider, living in CO, I would suggest, as others have done, is to hit Winterpark the 1st day, lots of fun trails, not too much in fast, tech, other than Trestle DH, which is fun to tear out 3-4 runs in a row on, buts lots of flowy, jump trails, cool, well build wood features & some nice drops & bigger new jumps at the bottom. Nightlife sucks at the resort, but great daytime restaurants with plenty to offer in booze & grub in the village. We usually head into town to Deno's for food & brews after riding, then over to ULRS Pub (that is the name, I swear) for some pool & local music & such.

Day 2, if you are done with WP, hit up Keystone for straight up DH trails. Not too many people like it, but being a long time DH racer, I love the place, loooong runs, steep a$$ rock garden sections, some big jumps thrown in, great place! 7-8 runs & you are worked, great place. Don't know about the night life though.

boxcar
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad View Post
    Also being a DH based rider, living in CO, I would suggest, as others have done, is to hit Winterpark the 1st day, lots of fun trails, not too much in fast, tech, other than Trestle DH, which is fun to tear out 3-4 runs in a row on, buts lots of flowy, jump trails, cool, well build wood features & some nice drops & bigger new jumps at the bottom. Nightlife sucks at the resort, but great daytime restaurants with plenty to offer in booze & grub in the village. We usually head into town to Deno's for food & brews after riding, then over to ULRS Pub (that is the name, I swear) for some pool & local music & such.

Day 2, if you are done with WP, hit up Keystone for straight up DH trails. Not too many people like it, but being a long time DH racer, I love the place, loooong runs, steep a$$ rock garden sections, some big jumps thrown in, great place! 7-8 runs & you are worked, great place. Don't know about the night life though.
    +1. Love the Keystone trails.

boxcar
    oops, double post
    Last edited by mtn.skratch; 12-13-2012 at 06:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Breckenridge

Antitheist & Kitten lover

Here is a list of local bike parks and associated lift prices. I have not updated this list, and probably won't until speculation begins in March 2013.
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

Living the High Life
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Only 3 places to hit in CO for a DH is WP/Trestle, Keystone, and Granby Ranch/Sol Vista.

Others suck, Vail is balls, Snomass has some legit DH but waaay out there for small payoff. Breck blows nuts. Others are far far behind the curve.

Mind you I ONLY ago for riding, nightlife for me is a tent and a bottle, maybe some boomers...

kgm
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Warm up at Winter Park, then ride real terrain at Keystone. Choppy and unrelenting black diamond trails.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by hooverGiant View Post
    Snowmass has an awesome DH course...but it's a race course and only open for races. Otherwise they don't have much. Crested Butte and Telluride have several very fun trails but probably not worth the drive, I've only been there for the races.

Vail is fun, but their trail map is never up to date and even then it's hard to find the good stuff. Best to ride with a local there.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Colorado Yeti Rider!
    Crested Butte would be worth the drive during Crested Butte Bike Week. Crested Butte Mountain Resort | Crested Butte Bike Week & Wildflower Rush
    Is happens mid to late June. No 2013 dates announced yet. You will have the most fun if you do some racing too.Super D and DH are both good. Some of the best trails are block off for racing. The chainless DH is lots fun. Free live music. Okay night life. Great Beer!

Other than that I would say Trestle bike park and Sol Vista. Then if you still want your ass kicked go to Keystone on the way back home.
    2011 Yeti ASR7 Custom Freeride build
    http://forums.mtbr.com/7868497-post42.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I would aim for 4th of july week. Breck has bike week that week and it is a cool atmosphere. I would stay in Breck, if you come in June the nightlife will be limited. 4th of July week will bring in the tourists and will add to the nightlife. Dont come for the nightlife come to ride, if you want nightlife stay in Denver a night or two. Breck gives you good access to all the lifts and they are close enough so you could hit them all, except Aspen it is a good hike from Breck. The mountains dont have ladies night they have lady night and it is 10 dudes watching 1 girl drink so dont come for nightlife come to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Ok, so, keep in mind I haven't been on the DH sled in a few years and things may have changed a bit, but:
    -The riding areas are all within about 90 minutes of each other, so hit everything.
    -Keystone: Biggest vert, lots of rocky natural trails, a few manmade things that are IMO kinda lame. Old school DH with a lot of very difficult terrain. Some trails have gotten pretty trashed due to mediocre (fall line) design and limited maintenance. Looooong runs. Almost no nightlife (the Goat!!!) but you can get to Breck in about 15 minutes.
    -Winter Park: Lots of manmade stuff (ie berms, jumps, some wood structures) and more every year. Managed by the same folks who run Whistler, so you know they know their stuff. The place to do safe, fun jumps. I never hear about Sol Vista anymore but it's 20 minutes up the road and has some very well-designed stuff, albeit shorter runs. Downside to the Frasier valley is there is zero nightlife. I mean literally zero.
    -Vail: The situation changes year to year but as unless things got dramatically better recently I would not plan to spend more than a half day here. Vail WAS the absolute best DH in the Rockies for a few years in the early 2000s after Worlds brought a ton of great riders/trail builders to the area briefly, but the FS shut down most of the (illegal) trails. Nightlife is great if you have serious money or hook up with a local who knows where to go.

A few other places run the occasional lift for hikers and will let you on with a bike (and we should all pour one out for the lovely Stickline at BC, love ya till I join ya) but those 3 or 4 places are the meat of the DH riding that is lift served.

Keep in mind that the XC riding in all these places is incredible too, even if you're usually not a fan of earning your turns.

-Walt
    hey Walt,
    can you talk a little bit more about what vail was like in the early 2000s? As a follower of the world cup like most follow NFL, etc, I find it so hard to believe a place like vail hosted World's just 10 short years ago.

I first rode DH at vail back in 2008. trails like PMT, 94 DH, and old 9 line got me hooked on mountain biking, so it is always fun to go back there. It seems like every year they work on some new trail, and forget the others, and the trail map never is up to date (ride w/ someone who knows the area). Vail built two "flow" trails this year, as did Steamboat (Gravity Logic helped w/ steamboat, some fun trails). A flow trail was also built at Aspen w/ the help of gravity logic as well.

WP (gravity logic) and Keystone are great, so is Sol Vista. Crested Butte does have some really fun trails, but the resort is so far from all the rest. I will be sure to go back to Crested Butte some time soon.

It is best to check out a few resorts if you have the time. If you need to just smash out runs and get your money's worth, I would for sure hit up WP and keystone.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by xjrides View Post
    I first rode DH at vail back in 2008. trails like PMT, 94 DH, and old 9 line got me hooked on mountain biking, so it is always fun to go back there. It seems like every year they work on some new trail, and forget the others, and the trail map never is up to date (ride w/ someone who knows the area).

Vail built two "flow" trails this year, as did Steamboat (Gravity Logic helped w/ steamboat,
    PMT was a pirate trail. If you like that one, you'll love the others!

Good luck with that though, those new "flow" trails over the last 2 years trashed 3 of them. The FS is an evil genius. They allow new lame groomers and trash great single track in the same move. They also logged out Magic Forest in 2011, it may be open but it is absolutely not the same. And 2001 Worlds is only partially rideable; they put a fireroad over the entrance years ago.

There's still fun stuff there; but I'm glad I rode Vail before things were relatively popular again and I am sure you are too.

*I never post "Fight Club" DH trails on the Internet. But as Vail is plowing them under so who cares right? Anyone want to poach Beaver Creek?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast