Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Best (and quietest) clipless pedals for the Front Range

Been on the Time ATAC XS Carbons...the ones w/ the square retention bars, not the older ATACs or the ROC w/ the round bars...and they're creaking, groaning, and just generally making all sorts of noise and disrupting my Kwan. So, I'm looking...for quieter pedals

Many like the new Sh!tmano "Trail" pedals w/ the platform, and some swear by CB Candys and Mallets. What are your experience w/ what's on your bike, and how is its longevity? OR, has Time's redesigned ATAC improved/got rid of the Kwan-killing noise emissions?

**I won't go XTR w/ Sh!tmano or Ti axle anything...too expensive and I get a LOT of pedal strikes w/ the low BB on the Tallboy. TIA.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

slow
    I have the old 1st generation Ritchey / Wellgo pedals on 5 bikes. They get an A+ for longevity but are creaking on several of the bikes now. As for something built in this decade, I have got nothing.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    **I won't go XTR w/ Sh!tmano or Ti axle anything...too expensive and I get a LOT of pedal strikes w/ the low BB on the Tallboy.
    I had one pair of Sh!tmano XTR pedals since 2007. They had probably 25,000 miles on them (no sh!t, I put about 4,000 miles/year on my mountain bike). They lasted through a season on a 2010 StumpJumper FSR which has a BB height of approximately 5 centimeters (sarcasm).

They are the PD-M970s. Not current model. This winter I decided I wanted to get another pair of the same before that revision disappeared entirely, so I found a NOS pair on eBay which I'm riding now. I did hear about some early failures on the 980 generation XTR--but I'm pretty sure Sh!tmano worked it out--but my 970s were such a miracle of durability I just wanted another pair of them.

My old pair are on my spares shelf. Perfectly good. Scratched as hell, but bearings are buttery. Squirted new grease into the bearing in probably 2011 or so.

So yeah, they are too damned expensive. Something like $.008/mile. Ripoff. I expect to be riding the pair I'm on now in 2020.

If you really are that price sensitive, I would think the XT ones would be a good value. I guess I think mine have been a pretty good value, but current generation XT are quite likely a re-labeled version of last generation XTR.

YMMV.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

The 5th knuckle
    I have both the CB Candies on one bike and Egg beaters on the other. I really like them because I walk a fair share of hills. When I had Shimanos and would walk, I would always seem to get the perfect size pebble in either the cleat or pedal. Then I would go to clip out and be that doofus that falls over. I've been in some pretty soupy mud and gravel combos and never had a problem getting in of out of the pedals. They have held up well over the last 4 years and can't really complain about them. The right egg beater did develop a sqeek last week and it was my shoe that was the issue and not the pedal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    I have been on some XT pedals for years now, zero problems. And the Shimanos I had before that, something from the 90s, were also bomber. When I was looking to replace the 90s version 6 or 7 years ago, I was considering other brands when a friend said to me "you beat these to **** for years and they've worked perfectly, why are you looking to switch?" And he was right. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    So yeah, they are too damned expensive. Something like $.008/mile. Ripoff. I expect to be riding the pair I'm on now in 2020.

If you really are that price sensitive, I would think the XT ones would be a good value. I guess I think mine have been a pretty good value, but current generation XT are quite likely a re-labeled version of last generation XTR.

YMMV.
    Not that kind of expensive...but when you bend axles...them Ti ones are stoopid expensive, as in might as well get a new pair of pedals instead. But I am on your page w/ the XTs...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    I have both the CB Candies on one bike and Egg beaters on the other. I really like them because I walk a fair share of hills. When I had Shimanos and would walk, I would always seem to get the perfect size pebble in either the cleat or pedal. Then I would go to clip out and be that doofus that falls over. I've been in some pretty soupy mud and gravel combos and never had a problem getting in of out of the pedals. They have held up well over the last 4 years and can't really complain about them. The right egg beater did develop a sqeek last week and it was my shoe that was the issue and not the pedal.
    This is also why I've stuck w/ Time for so long, and just lived w/ the moaning and groaning. Those loops DO tolerate a LOT of crap on your shoes/cleats!
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

<100%
    Shimano 647's, 505's, 959's - I've been smashing them all on rocks for years and they never cared. The DX pedals with the plastic cages can be a little squeaky. Newest pair is a Xt trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsj3831 View Post
    Newest pair is a Xt trail.
    These interests me! Price is reasonable on Bike Nashbar. You're doing okay w/ these; how long have you had them?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    These interests me! Price is reasonable on Bike Nashbar. You're doing okay w/ these; how long have you had them?
    A little spam here, but I am going to be selling a set of the XT trails on e-bay. If you want to try them for cheap, PM me. Also will have some of the XTR's for sale. Only selling because a friend works for Crank Bros now Both have 4-6 months of use & work perfectly.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad View Post
    A little spam here, but I am going to be selling a set of the XT trails on e-bay. If you want to try them for cheap, PM me. Also will have some of the XTR's for sale. Only selling because a friend works for Crank Bros now Both have 4-6 months of use & work perfectly.
    I've used spuds for 20 years and never had any issues other than a lot of bent spindles. A few I've bent on the first ride. I have some XTR's that have been through hell and back and don't seem to have as easily bent spindles as the XT's .

Also, I'm now noticing I have a lot of pain in the balls of my feet when walking and cannot run. This also showed up after switching to Specialized shoes. I used Sidi's for many many years.

Wondering if the smaller platform tore up the balls of my feet or if it was the switch in shoes.

FWIW I would recommend very stiff soles... like the Sidi's.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    I've broken way too many Crank Bros to ever go back. They were great at sending free replacement parts but I needed more piece of mind.
    I've tried the Look pedals and didn't care for them. The new style XTR Trails lasted less than 6 months for a riding buddy. Not impressive.
    I'm still on my Time ATAC XS Carbons. Easy and cheap to service (standard bearing size and pretty much the only wear item).

Take yours apart, swap out for a fresh bearing, a little Prep M or Slick Honey under the bushing, reassemble and enjoy for another few years. And don't forget fresh cleats!

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    I'm still on my Time ATAC XS Carbons. Easy and cheap to service (standard bearing size and pretty much the only wear item).

Take yours apart, swap out for a fresh bearing, a little Prep M or Slick Honey under the bushing, reassemble and enjoy for another few years. And don't forget fresh cleats!

_MK
    Thought about rebuilding them... Have you ever swapped out the retention loops; are they a PITA to do? I was hoping Time USA would service them, but they basically told me to go fly a kite when I emailed them.
    I checked the bearing, they're okay...but it could be the bushing part...? The other thought was its those retention loops insert into the carbon body, or whatever bolt those loops are sitting on and how they're "bushing'd" on the pedal body...the pedals are quiet when they're wet from creek crossings.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Have you ever swapped out the retention loops; are they a PITA to do?
    I have. They're not hard at all. The pin holding them in place pushes out and they come right off.
    The tension spring may be have set a bit if yours are a few years old and that may be what you need to swap out.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    I have. They're not hard at all. The pin holding them in place pushes out and they come right off.
    The tension spring may be have set a bit if yours are a few years old and that may be what you need to swap out.

_MK
    Thanks man. I'll rebuild them first and see if that quiets them down. Peak/Bikeparts.com...will be here tomorrow
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Now older but less slow!

I've ridden Time for 15 years. Haven't ridden anything else since then.

I have ATAC XS carbons on my Tallboy and cross bike and XROC S on my dog bike. None of them squeak.

I also have a old set of yellow Times I though about putting on the Tallboy bit they're from the mid 90s and the bearings are a little gone....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    I have ATAC XS carbons on my Tallboy and cross bike and XROC S on my dog bike. None of them squeak.
    Vintage of those XS Carbons, and the last time they were serviced?

I have two different flavors of the XS Carbons...one /w a skinny axle (older), and one w/ the axle under the main seal so they look like they're larger in diameter. The skinny axle one is the noisiest, altho both make that metal on plastic squeaking noise.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    A drop of chain lube on the cleats and the tension spring might work. That's what I do with all my clip-in pedals. It's a lot cheaper than new pedals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    A drop of chain lube on the cleats and the tension spring might work. That's what I do with all my clip-in pedals. It's a lot cheaper than new pedals.
    Yup, been tried. Again, I think it's either the tension spring rubbing on the carbon body, or the tension spring pin in the body. You know how sometimes plastic parts pick up the metal part's oxide layer, and there's actually a hard surface on the plastic...
    Gonna rebuild it w/ a fresh tension spring, and I'll check these plastic/metal contact points...and maybe slap in some anti-seize.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    I had one pair of Sh!tmano XTR pedals since 2007. They had probably 25,000 miles on them (no sh!t, I put about 4,000 miles/year on my mountain bike). They lasted through a season on a 2010 StumpJumper FSR which has a BB height of approximately 5 centimeters (sarcasm).

They are the PD-M970s. Not current model.
    ditto, although mine are on a Blur LT with a seemingly 6cm bb height

I have an extra pair that are not currently in use, you are welcome to give them a shot.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    rebuild and try new cleats too. I've never heard a squeak from my ATAC XS, which is now replaced by the ATAC 6. The new Shimano's are great and are the best selling pedals we have, but once you get used to the release of Time's it's hard to switch. Just so damn consistent on release, and never an accidental release, which I get with all other pedals I try.

In addition to the spring you can replace the Spring Axle, Steel & the Ti/Carbon Adjustment Screw & the bushing. Basically everything but the pedal body, all the parts are pretty cheap.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    rebuild and try new cleats too. I've never heard a squeak from my ATAC XS, which is now replaced by the ATAC 6. The new Shimano's are great and are the best selling pedals we have, but once you get used to the release of Time's it's hard to switch. Just so damn consistent on release, and never an accidental release, which I get with all other pedals I try.

In addition to the spring you can replace the Spring Axle, Steel & the Ti/Carbon Adjustment Screw & the bushing. Basically everything but the pedal body, all the parts are pretty cheap.
    Spring, bushing, and cleat first...
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    My Time Atac XS (plastic/composite body, not carbon) squeak pretty bad. Really bad if it's dusty out. It's rotational, so presumably bearing or seal. I've pulled them apart and greased what I could. But the bearings are sealed, which means they probably need to be replaced.

My ATAC ROC S' aren't squeaky like the ATAC XS', but I can tell the cleat is worn down as I get a rythmic clicking that follows my pedal strokes.

Of course, the current cleats were installed April/May 2011... Guess it's time for new cleats.

_MK
    Piece of cake to replace these springs. I keep bashing my ROC's on rocks. I simply pull it, bend the tabs back and reinstall.

Now older but less slow!

Vintage of those XS Carbons, and the last time they were serviced?
    The ones on the Tallboy are only 9 months old. The other pair, which was on the mountain bike, before being swapped to the crossbike are circa 2007/8 vintage. I've never serviced them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    The ones on the Tallboy are only 9 months old. The other pair, which was on the mountain bike, before being swapped to the crossbike are circa 2007/8 vintage. I've never serviced them.
    I must have crappy luck w/ Time...
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast