mtbr member

Best place in the Front Range to get a hitch.. or Fort Collins

Looking for a place to get a hitch put on my 2002 Subaru WRX. Any recommendations?
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

I heart the drops
    lamperts or lamberts hitches in denver area
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

mtbr member
    Lamberts

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I had mine put on at a Uhaul store. Haven't had any problems with it and they got it done quick.

mtbr member
    I've used Extreme Hitch in Denver for my 04 WRX, 94 Camry, and 08 STI.
    Everytime I go in, it takes him -20 minutes to have it installed ready to go.
    Excellent customer service, and the great rates.
    It's at: 1900 S. Quince St. Denver CO 80231.
    720-277-7782
    Maintain internal heights.

mtbr member
    Look around D-town then compare w/ this.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    I have looked on line a bit... how big of a pain is it too install yourself?

mtbr member
    I got a Curt hitch on-line (can't remember where but a google search is easy enough). They have models specific to virtually all makes/models of vehicles. 2" receiver hitches typically run about $140 and it cost me $30 to have a mechanic type install for me.
    I just got food poisoning. I'm not sure when I'll use it - Steven Wright

3nf
    Aphonopelma Coloradanum
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14
    I have looked on line a bit... how big of a pain is it too install yourself?
    I put a hitch on my Impreza (GC body style), it was four bolts (17mm IIRC). really big bolts, granted- needed a big socket wrench.

If this is just for bikes you probably aren't going to need to bother with a wiring adapter, but I had to get an adapter box and splice it in. Pep Boys had it for something like $40.

mtbr member
    I priced out some installs (Uhaul, corner garage, and that place Giant-Saam recommended) and they're all around $70. So, I went to Wally World and got a hydo jack for $70 and installed it myself.
    The page say it would take less than an hour. But crawling around on the asphalt under my car and not being too familiar w/ what's down there, it took me 3 hours. A 2nd pair of hands would have been a HUGE help as that hitch assembly was pushing 30lbs...on my back w/ my knee and leg supporting one end while I worked on the other. On my muffler side, I had to push the hitch and the dropped muffler into place while threading the two bolts...it was a bit like a bad case of hemorrhoids!
    The Curt hitch for my '09 Civic was 5 bolts in all and only comes in 1.25", Class 1. The other ones only had 3 bolts... The biggest difficulty is getting to the mounting points which required removing the plastic fuel tank / under carriage cover, heat shield, and dropping the muffler off the rubber-band supports. Also, the hitch assembly fits TIGHT! I had to loose fit everything then go side to side and use the bolt torquing to get the hitch assembly flared out and everything to the proper place. I think the same might be the case for you WRX. That said, it is VERY solidly mounted and well designed and I'd have no issues trusting it to hold two DH bikes on a hitch rack like the T2 (my rack).
    So if you're mechanically inclined, you can do it. But have someone lend a hand with a 2nd set of tools (metric socket and open/box wrenches, standard med blade driver) and you might be able to get it done in under an hour, else expect a battle just supporting that thing while you mount it up.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've had uhaul do the job before on another car, and it was fine.

Last time though, I installed it myself, it was kind of a pain. You need to trim the plastic on the fender, so I had to buy some shears for that. I can't remember if you have to drop the muffler or not, but getting the muffler off its rubber mounts is usually a bit of a hassle. The bolts you have to unscrew are going to be a little sticky. Then, the hitch itself is heavy and you have to hold it in place while you bolt it up. Its good to have a torque wrench for reassembly, but you can just make it 'pretty tight' I guess. Overall, no big deal really, especially to those that have all the tools for working on cars.

I recommend getting a cardboard box and flattening it out to lie on underneath your car. Also, those wedges you can drive the wheels onto, I feel better working under those than under a jack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ansible
    I recommend getting a cardboard box and flattening it out to lie on underneath your car. Also, those wedges you can drive the wheels onto, I feel better working under those than under a jack.
    Chalks and jack stands or ramps would be mandatory unless you really have a desire to become a statistic. I had jack stands/chalks. The cardboard box used to ship the hitch worked out pretty nicely
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sweet. Thanks guys. I think I will order on online and have a go. I can use the shop at the local air force base for 2$ an hour or so, so that will help for sure. Seems like it was going to be around 400$ for the local shop to order and install it for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    Chalks
    Is that so the police can draw an outline of your body after the car crushes you because you didn't have any chocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    I have to ask for them to do a "Number two" on my head

skillz to pay billz
    rocky mounts reco'd lamperts