mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Best mtb conditions in May

I am doing a road trip from San Francisco to Denver and after Moab I am going to Fruita/GJ which I will be leaving around 13th of May. I am visiting Rocky Mountain NP the 25/5 and have not decided where to go between these.

Some of the high alpine seems to have snow and also the bike parks are closed. Where would you recommend I go afterwards to get to the best riding?

I am looking for some technical riding with some nice descending

lucky enough
    The Salida area is a bit warmer generally so some trails will likely be ridable at that time.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks - what about Crested Butte? I have heard this also should be quite good.

I dont presume any of the descents of Monarch Crest is accessible at this time fx doing a shuttle up to a certain point and then ride down?

mtbr member
    My wife and I ride Crested Butte every summer, and if there is a heavy winter there, the trails in the higher elevations (like 401, which is an absolute must) could still be closed. A couple of years ago, 401 was still closed in the middle of July. There might be some lower trails that are rideable in May. Hopefully a local can answer that for you. You might want to post about CB in the Western Slope forum.

lucky enough
    Yes Monarch Pass could be snowed in. Though last year we didn't have a lot of snow and things were clear earlier than usual. Gunnison area has some great trails that are clear early, but I think they are more XC. XC may be your best bet at that time of year.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    April can be Colorado's snowiest month in the high country, so it is hard to tell. Even if the snow is gone by the time you are here there could be mud and deep puddles of water all over the trails in the higher elevations. Or it could be good to go but must likely no high country riding in May. If you are going to be out by RMNP the front range trails should be perfect that time of year around Golden, Boulder, Lyons and Ft. Collins and there are some trails semi close to Estes Park that should be good to go as well. Plenty of tech and steepness within' 30-45 minutes of Estes Park.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

Team Velveeta™

Gj->50->285->den

Quote Originally Posted by Danish Dynamite View Post
    I am doing a road trip from San Francisco to Denver and after Moab I am going to Fruita/GJ which I will be leaving around 13th of May. I am visiting Rocky Mountain NP the 25/5 and have not decided where to go between these.

Some of the high alpine seems to have snow and also the bike parks are closed. Where would you recommend I go afterwards to get to the best riding?

I am looking for some technical riding with some nice descending
    Even after a crappy snow winter, mid-May is too early for high country.

I would recommend that you take the highway 50/highway 285 route to get back to Denver. I-70 would take you through Glenwood and Eagle, and you might find some good riding open then in either of those places, but then you're done until you get to Golden for the most part.

On highway 50 you could hit Hartman in Gunnison. There is some good technical riding at Hartman, but it's pretty much pure XC. Not long downhills, up and down.

Don't bother with CB in May. Too early. You'll go over Monarch Pass, but the Crest is far from ready.

Usually in May here in Salida we have some nice dry trails. Some good technical descents should be open, but again it's more XC style riding here. Up and down.

Then you could hit Buffalo Creek as you get closer to Denver off highway 285.

My $.02
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I will look into Salida, Boulder and Golden and perhaps visiting the Yeti factory if possible and riding with them :-)